Author Topic: PSA: Tropical fruit tasting event in Tampa Bay  (Read 1773 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
PSA: Tropical fruit tasting event in Tampa Bay
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
Sorry if this isn't allowed, but I thought this would apply to a lot of you.

There's a store in my area that sells a ton of tropical fruit trees and they're hosting an event this weekend to let people taste a ton of different fruits. I've always wanted to try things like jakfruit and durian, and I'm happy to do it without having to spend a fortune getting it shipped here or something.

Anyway, details here: http://tropicalfruit.com/Events_ep_28.html

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Tropical fruit tasting event in Tampa Bay
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
Thanks Weboh. Jene usually has a nice variety of mango trees brought in
for the event.
Michael

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
I went to this today and it was awesome! There were great recipes to sample made from different fruit, and there were also mangoes for sale, so I will be able to soon try LZ and OS. There was also fruit to taste, and I got to try for the first time ever Soursop and Durian. Soursop was great and Durian...wow, how strange. Those around me had a similar reaction to trying it. It was like, oh man, this smells funky but I've got to taste it, oh man, it kinda tastes funky like it smells, I don't think I like this at all, what's the hype for, oh man, that was delicious, I want more! It all kicked into gear in the aftertaste of the first bite, which was wild. Thanks to Jene's Tropicals for the event!

Weboh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
I went a bit later in the day and unfortunately most of the fruit was gone. I don't think they anticipated how many people would be there! Hard to find a parking spot and even harder to find an employee. I did get to try durian and jakfruit though. Don't much care for durian. After a few bites I liked jakfruit though. Dunno if I liked it enough to plant a tree. The people who say it tastes like pineapple are crazy though.

I did like the mangoes though. They taste better than the kind they sell at the store. Definitely getting a mango tree.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:17:54 PM by Weboh »

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:51:01 PM »
We were there early today and bought a bunch of mangoes (fruit). Mostly Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet. I did not see any durian. But after we left Jene's we went to one of our favorite Asian markets and picked up a Musan King Durian (rare - one of the top varieties of Durian from Malaysia). It was absolutely amazing.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 05:50:44 AM »
DeeMango, which Asian market and where? Thanks!

Weboh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »
I know MD Oriental Market (on 49th St and Park Blvd) has a huge produce selection. I've seen lots of exotic fruit there: Jakfruit, lychee, different mangoes...

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 05:50:02 PM »
DeeMango, which Asian market and where? Thanks!

It was at Dong A 2 on 49th Street N at 70th Ave N in Pinellas Park, FL. It’s a few blocks south of MD Oriental.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
I know MD Oriental Market (on 49th St and Park Blvd) has a huge produce selection. I've seen lots of exotic fruit there: Jakfruit, lychee, different mangoes...

MD has Durian. It is Monthong and usually in a freezer case across from the seafood counter.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk