Author Topic: Gold Nugget won't give up  (Read 1334 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Gold Nugget won't give up
« on: August 21, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »
I cut this tree down few years ago and grafted a couple better varieties onto it, yet the original plant throw out a couple fruit.  Starting to get a little size to them.  Maybe snow will be coming down by the time they are ready!

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Nugget won't give up
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 03:02:26 PM »
What are the reasons you didn't like Golden Nugget?
Zone Pusher

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
The fruit tasted sweet and fine.  However, Gold Nugget is a soft fleshed variety and the "mouth feel"/texture was just off-putting.  My wife said she would never eat it again and I really couldn't blame her.  It is also a piss-poor performer.  This is the first time it has fruited since 2014.  I've heard others complain about this as well.  So I cut it down except for a few low branches that I grafted onto.  Cristela and an orange-fleshed variety that was from a seedling tree of Brandon...which we've name Jack Frost.  Both crunchy flesh.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
Trf do you grow in a greenhouse? In ground? Asking because of location but maybe you grow somewhere else as well?

Edut: just checked out the blog. Would love a pic of the tree and a bit about how much space it takes up etc. Awesome :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:58:06 PM by Ulfr »

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »
Yes...all my stuff is in a greenhouse here with most being planted directly into the ground.

This is a current pic.  Difficult to get a clear, straight on shot due to the madronos and cherimoya close by.  Might be 5+ feet diameter.  I keep it pruned in order to get the branches to strengthen up as much as possible since I don't have any wind inside there to help with that.  The Jack Frost has been sending out male blooms but the Cristela is clearly outgrowing the JF.  Before being cut down, the Gold Nugget was very large as you can see by the size of the trunk in the first pic.  It was always at the height of the GH in back at 13+ feet.  It was my bad not doing the proper research on this variety and not paying attention to the flesh characteristics.  Not a complete waste of time since it's given me one hell-of-a rootstock to push the new varieties.

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
Gold Nugget is in season now at F&S Park and I had a chance to try it. This one I had was very crunchy with giant 3 inch arils, not super sweet but nice fruity flavor...maybe one of the best I ever had (I cannot stand soft fleshed ones))!! Small Fruit about 10lbs perfect for 2-3 hungry people in one sitting. Tree was about 10ft tall and loaded with prolly 15 jack fruit all at different sizes and stages.
Still waiting for my 7 year old seedling to fruit at home, hopefully it is similar!
- Marius

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
Mine has developed overly aggressive roots which I cannot tolerate, I may have it removed.
Regards,

Gary

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 12:24:11 PM »
gnappi...funny you mention that.  I noticed that every time I cleared a spot in the greenhouse to plant something, I normally ran into feeder roots from the jack...didn't matter how far from it I was!  Nothing serious though so far.  I'll start to worry if I see my basement walls start to buckle!