Author Topic: Some of my trees  (Read 11562 times)

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Some of my trees
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
As my topics usualy are questions/ID help, this time I will show some of the trees that I have producing fruit or flowers at this moment!

Starting with my papayas, then my mangos, and finally one of my Surinam cherry.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:56:53 PM by Grapebush »
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my trees
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 01:31:36 AM »
Congratulations for your trees!  :) Your climate must be very appropriate for the tropical fruit trees. Can you write the tags of your pictures?
Mike

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:16:01 AM »
Congratulations! Your trees are great!  ;)

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »
Congratulations for your trees!  :) Your climate must be very appropriate for the tropical fruit trees. Can you write the tags of your pictures?

Thank you for your comment!

Yes, most of tropical fruit trees feel happy here, but for some of the most tropical/Ultra tropical, it is quite tricky to keep them alive, because, from time to time we have some temperature drops, that come with no warning, as for example, last week (18th, 19th, 20th) we had snow falling above 800m, and hail, to the see level, all that combined with strong wind, that has caused many damages, in some crops, and even some plants lost. Didn't had yet time to look for the papaya plants in these pics, but think they're quite damaged by hail...
The temperature drops, took me 2 rambutan seedlings, and I still need to check for my Korlan seedling, but think it might be lost as well! The hail took me a baobab seedling, and many papaya seedlings.

About writing the tags on my pics; I can do it, but there's not to much to say, as the papayas, are not of any known cultivar (at least that I know), except for the 2nd image, that I'm not sure if it could be a Kak-Dam one, as once I bought seeds from that variety, but mixed it with others, and at a moment lost it's track, now that it's fruiting, the fruit have some similarities, but not sure.
The mangos are all from diferent cultivars, but don't know it's names! 5th and 6th images, from the same tree, 7th from the oldest one of my mango trees, and 8th is an old seedling mango that I converted in a "cocktail tree", with 3 different varieties, on it.
Last image, is of seedling Pitanga/Surinam cherry, that have very dark red skin, medium/small fruit, very juicy and sweet pulp.

Congratulations! Your trees are great!  ;)

Thank you, Luís!
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »
Here's some more of my fruiting plants:

Guava

Grenadilla

Cherimoya

Unfortunatelly, I didn't have time to check the papayas, in the first post, to see if they survived the hail, but evaluating by the ammount of flowers it took the mangos, I think they should be in a quite bad shape...

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:49:06 PM »
the cherimoya looks so mouthwatering. Can you some fruits over?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:13:49 AM »
That 7th mango in the first set looks awesome.  Compact, great branching, and utterly covered with blooms.  Lucky you.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »
the cherimoya looks so mouthwatering. Can you some fruits over?

Hi. I actually pick some fruits! It's the season ending, so the big ones are almost all gone...
Here's some of the ones I pick yesterday:

It is a very old and very big tree (actually now it have about 1/3, of what it has had in the past, after several severe pruning in the last 10 years), and a very productive one. I don't remember one year that we were able to eat all the fruits it produced, we usualy give a lot of fruits to other people, and the ones with low quality/small size, we feed them to pigs...

That 7th mango in the first set looks awesome.  Compact, great branching, and utterly covered with blooms.  Lucky you.

That's a beautifull tree, and it's the older of my mango trees, but not my best producer! The one in the 8th image produces much better than this one. The good point about this one is that it don't pushes to high, it spreads a lot horizontally, but almost nothing vertically. It also is very vigorous; each two years I cut a lot of branches, to avoid overcrouding, and allow some light in.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
WOW!!! Congratulations my friend! Your fruit trees are really great! Well Madeira is Madeira!  ;D

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »
yeah, those are some healthy looking trees.
i could eat those papaya now... yum.
i am wondering if its not a female papaya ? roundish fruit...

is that a sage plant, behind the papaya ?

do you use chemical fertilizers ?
ive been using fish and worm castings only

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 07:56:23 PM »
WOW!!! Congratulations my friend! Your fruit trees are really great! Well Madeira is Madeira!  ;D

Thank you very much my friend!
Our soil plays a big role, in all of it; and of course, the climate also helps a bit...

yeah, those are some healthy looking trees.
i could eat those papaya now... yum.
i am wondering if its not a female papaya ? roundish fruit...

is that a sage plant, behind the papaya ?

do you use chemical fertilizers ?
ive been using fish and worm castings only

Thank you for your comment.
You can bet, these papayas are great; well at least the ones from the tree in the 4th image, as I haven't yet tasted the fruits from the others (first and third images are from the same variety). The ones in images 1 and 3 are producing for the second year, and the one in the 2nd is producing for the third time, but I never get to taste them as I always get robbed on those... Also a lot of fruit robbed from the 4th one, but as it is the heavier producer, there's always some left for me... That one (4th) actually is a 100% female tree, producing absolutely no male flowers; I have a male tree about 3m from that one to polinate it! A curious thing,is that, from time to time when pass by there and there are blooms in the other ones, I take some flower from the male one, and polinate them manualy, and it always leads to bigger fruits than when they auto-polinate...

You mean the plant behind, the papayas in the 2 first images? If yes, it's not sage, it's a weed (Ageratina adenophora), that is spreading everywere on that place...

About fertilizers; at the moment I use nothing; actually most of my stuff is very neglected, as you can see in some photos there's weeds growing everywere, because, the lack of time due to my job and the distance between me and my parent's place where most of plants are! Also my parents are getting too old to be able to care of all of it for me... So I kinda let nature decide what goes better or worse, unfortunately.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »
Grapebush - excellent plants!  I'm curious why that one papaya is LOADED with  fruit and
the other couple don't seem to have much going on....also, that surinam cherry - of that
I'm VERY jealous as I just don't get that flower production you do....wow!!!!  Any particular
fertilizer you use on the cherry's????

Lastlyif I was to guess, I'd say you were in a zone 9B....do you know what zone you are in
that I could translate into our US zone equivalent?????  It really feels about like my zone.....

Gary

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
Grapebush - excellent plants!  I'm curious why that one papaya is LOADED with  fruit and
the other couple don't seem to have much going on....also, that surinam cherry - of that
I'm VERY jealous as I just don't get that flower production you do....wow!!!!  Any particular
fertilizer you use on the cherry's????

Lastlyif I was to guess, I'd say you were in a zone 9B....do you know what zone you are in
that I could translate into our US zone equivalent?????  It really feels about like my zone.....

Gary

Thank you Gary!
I think the main reason for the difference in production between the different trees, is size, because the loaded one, is the most vigorou of them all, but also that one is a litle bit more protected from the wind, and I think, that also is important.
Arround here Surinam cherrys, always bloom heavilly, even with no special care at all, actually as I mentioned in the previous answer, at this moment, I'm not fertilizing my trees at all... Unfortunatelly by now it have much less flowers/fruits, than it had at the moment of the photo, because of last weeks hail storm.

About my hardiness zone, most sites, say it is 12a, but in my opinion, it is more likely to be 11... If it really was 12a I think I hadn't lost all the seedlings of mangosteen, rambutan, pulasan, durian...

Nélio.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 07:34:44 PM »
The last one, from those I bring home! Let's see if by the end of next week, I can pass at my parents place again, to pick some more...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
Here's a little update, on some of my plants, that are now fruiting or flowering, or just developing nicely.

Some of my pineapples. The third one is a sucker with only about 6", and is already sending new suckers.

My black sapote, is flowering for the first time, and maybe against all odds, because it is in a 5 Litre pot, and it is less than 1m high, however it has about 10 flowers...

My Cherimoya, flowering for the new season.

Passiflora ligularis, in it's second crop this year.

Now the mangoes! The first 2 images are from a seedling I grafted 2 years ago, and is developing some huge leaves! It has flowered 2 months ago, but set no fruit, maybe because of the extreme heat we had in the last months. This variety, produces fruits up to 4kg.

This one is my older mango tree, and this year, in it's last bloom set some fruits (much more than the last 10 years), let's see if it will hold them till the end.

My second older mango tree, and for the moment, my best producer! It is a cocktail tree, with 3 varieties, and this year is holding quite a lot of fruit, and still flowering...

Two types of sugar cane, growing nicely.

My best Eugenia Uniflora, flowering again (the first 2 blooms of the year, set no fruit, because of extremely strong wind, and some hail that damaged the flowers, and small fruits).

Another mango tree. This one always flowers like crazy, but sets very poorly, and most fruits come with some kind of deformation, and end up aborting before ripening... (this year is the last chance for it to deliver me some good fruit, or next year, will be topworked, or replaced by something else...).

My Hass avocado, doing his job, nicely as usual.

My peanut plants flowering.

My Solanum robustum, growing nicely.

One of my papayas that survived a fire early this year.

And one of my Dwarf Brasilian, with a small bunch to be harvested in next winter...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:31:51 PM by Grapebush »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
Looooking goood

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 01:08:50 AM »
Your mangoes look big and healthy. Great stuff! Thanks for the nice pictures
Mike

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 03:45:08 AM »
WOW! I'm really impressed! Congratulations my friend! What impressed me most is your mango trees, they are great! I'm failed to have a black sapote untill now... Papayas are great too!  ;D

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:56 AM »
Looooking goood

Thank you!

Your mangoes look big and healthy. Great stuff! Thanks for the nice pictures

Thank you!
They're particularly nice this year, after an atypical winter, early this year... Aparently the stress they were exposed was good for them at some point.

WOW! I'm really impressed! Congratulations my friend! What impressed me most is your mango trees, they are great! I'm failed to have a black sapote untill now... Papayas are great too!  ;D

Thanks Luís. I'm not sure if I will have any fruit in the Black Sapote, as it is quite small yet, and is in a really small pot for it's size. Don't you have a plant, or didn't you had fruits yet?
About the papayas, this one is the best one of them, and eventhough it's barely surviving... It is the same as in the 4th image of the first post; as you can see it is much more ugly than it was in winter. This terrain was touched by a fire a some of the plants there suffered a lot, specially the papayas, but also 2 Passiflora ligularis that didn't recovered, and a few others with a little less injuries suffered.
Any of the papayas I sent to you survived?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 08:55:12 AM »
Hello my friend! My black sapote didn't survived on the first winter she got, but i didn't give up yet... i'm dying to eat one! Papayas is another problem here, they didn't survived. I think i will have to buy big ones and let them one year growing on big pots... At least i have hope...  ;)

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »
Hello my friend! My black sapote didn't survived on the first winter she got, but i didn't give up yet... i'm dying to eat one! Papayas is another problem here, they didn't survived. I think i will have to buy big ones and let them one year growing on big pots... At least i have hope...  ;)

If by any miracle mine produces fruit, and viable seeds, I can save some for you, or may I start them and once they're large enough, I can graft one and send it to you. About the Papayas, I might have some, in a few months; could try to send you a bigger one, in the beginning of next Spring.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
This week I've had a moment to pass at my parents, and take a look at some of my plants, and harvest some fruit. It was on a run because I didn't get too much time, but in a week or so I should pass by there again, and pick some more things, and try to get rid of a lot of weeds, that started growing like crazy, after the first Autumn rains...

My Coffee with some coffee beans

All the beans that fall to ground germinate and start growing like weeds...

Some papayas developing, after a terrible year for these plants, that were afected by a fire, early this year, and then had a very hot summer, and didn't get watered as it should...

Solanum robustum, doing nicely, and flowering for the firs time.

And finally, some of the fruit harvested.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
Muitos parabéns Nélio! Congratulations, your coffe plants are amazing!  ::)

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »

Thank you Luís!
How are the ones I sent to you, doing so far? And the Solanum robustum, has adapted to your climate?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 04:04:45 AM »

Thank you Luís!
How are the ones I sent to you, doing so far? And the Solanum robustum, has adapted to your climate?
Hello Nélio! The solanum is great and growing very fast! Lets see how he will go with cold temp. The coffe plants are great but i will not put them on ground. I think i will loose them if i plant them on ground.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk