Author Topic: Wasps & Lychee..good/bad?  (Read 1302 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Wasps & Lychee..good/bad?
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
Noticed some wasps made a nest on some leaf undersides of my sweetheart tree. I've seen them do that before over the years but this is the first time this tree is flowering. My first thought is to leave them there as they've been working the flowers, and also because they are not aggressive at all, and it seems quite convenient for the tree to have its very own hive while it flowers. But question, some wasps are predatory/parasitic correct? Do these guys have any negative impact on other beneficial pollinators? I haven't really seen any other insects hanging around the flowers besides these wasps... thoughts?

pics below of the nest and a wasp working the flowers:

always longing for a JA Julie

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps & Lychee..good/bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
As long as they don't bother you I say leave them more good than bad.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
Hard to see which wasps those are....but they look like the standard orange-ish colored, what I call, paper wasps.  They are generally benign and beneficial.  They will chew on wood to get the pulp to make their nests and they sting like nobody's business if you disturb them.  However they are not aggressive. The question about leaving them is dependent upon whether you or a loved one intends to get up into the branch where they are located at harvest or anytime before.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
I'll try to get a closeup pic..but yeah that sounds like the type. There's one emerging panicle above their location but that's one many, so probably more benefit to have them stay.

always longing for a JA Julie

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
I think most of the wasps that are predatory on insects are quite small and don't sting humans.
Oscar