Author Topic: Any tips on bilimbi germination?  (Read 1221 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Any tips on bilimbi germination?
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:04:35 PM »
Bilimbi is supposedly hard to sprout. How can I get the best germination rates?
Anisha

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on bilimbi germination?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:44 PM »
The one time I tried raising bilimbi I planted a flat and I think they almost all came up  in a week or so. They were fresh from the fruit, so that might have something to do with it. I noticed that carambola seeds also would sprout quickly if taken directly from the fruit, but if somewhat dried (even for a couple of days) they would become semi-dormant, and straggle up in the seed flat over a month or more.

Hope that helps.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »
I would try cleaning the seeds, then drying for one day, perhaps with a little sunlight.
My experience with carombola is that the seeds need to be clean and dry.  The fact that I never see any germinated carombola or bilimbi seeds under the tree tells me this is the way to go.
Peter

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
I would try cleaning the seeds, then drying for one day, perhaps with a little sunlight.
My experience with carombola is that the seeds need to be clean and dry.  The fact that I never see any germinated carombola or bilimbi seeds under the tree tells me this is the way to go.
Peter
That definitely makes sense. I got them online so they were already dried. I soaked some in H2O2, some in passionfruit juice, and just planted some untreated.
Anisha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk