Author Topic: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo  (Read 41519 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
I don't have any nishikawa but Japanese are smart plant breeders so it must be worth planting. Can someone see how long nishikawa avocado has been around? My guess is 25-30 years so it has a track record that is not well known on the internet. Spaugh was correct in tripling down on his nishi plantings to see what pans out. Not all fruit trees of a given variety are equal. Some are strong and some are weak. I see this on my "estate"

I planted three lula and only one is really very much flourishing/ I bought it in Home Depot in Sunrise FL in 15 gallon...$84 but it was worth it. Avocado trees are more finicky than mango by a long shot/ Have a brogdan too. No nishikawa/

I only planted 1 nishikawa.  The other 2 went to friends' houses. Members GregA and Durbandude got the other 2 trees.  Running out of space to be planting triplets of experimental types.

Will let you guys know how it goes.  Ive got a lot of Hawaiian types planted.  Kahaluu, Nishikawa, OTA all seem faily happy.  Not sure what the lineage is on these but Guatemalan avo trees seem to do best here.
Brad Spaugh

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »

Decided to wait a little longer to pick them this time . Was thinking 1 of 3 pick 12/15 and then space the rest out about 2 weeks . Mother nature had a different plan , checked the tree today and 2 had fallen . The first was smaller 14oz and had a bad bruise on the outside , it was also soft . The next one was bigger 18oz and was still hard . So i cut the small ripe one open hoping it was ok and this is what i got ! You know when you have to wait a full year to have these and you only get 3 ... i'm excited . Added some salt and a little hot sauce , Yahoo. I love the taste of these things . What a lunch .Dont know when if fell so dont know how long it took to ripen .

Both on my Nish's started growing wild after the hurricane , they really have matured in the last 9 months, so i'm hoping to get a lot more fruits next time . Last year had a lot of pee's but most fell off (fertilized more this year ). Also either animals were getting some or gardeners were taking a few, so this year i tied mesh bags around them and all survived . Thanks everyone for your help .

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2018, 05:08:31 AM »
I don't have any nishikawa but Japanese are smart plant breeders so it must be worth planting. Can someone see how long nishikawa avocado has been around? My guess is 25-30 years so it has a track record that is not well known on the internet. Spaugh was correct in tripling down on his nishi plantings to see what pans out. Not all fruit trees of a given variety are equal. Some are strong and some are weak. I see this on my "estate"

I planted three lula and only one is really very much flourishing/ I bought it in Home Depot in Sunrise FL in 15 gallon...$84 but it was worth it. Avocado trees are more finicky than mango by a long shot/ Have a brogdan too. No nishikawa/
Wasn't really bred by professional plant breeders, but by Kona coffee farmers. During beginning of the century most of the farmers here were Japanese. They selected choice types from hundreds of seedlings planted. That is why most of the old Hawaii avocado cultivars have Japanese names.
BTW, in this pamphlet from Hawaii tropical agriculture college, the Nishikawa, from possible ratings of excellent, very good, and good, is only given a good rating:
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-1.pdf
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2018, 11:02:06 AM »

Wasn't really bred by professional plant breeders, but by Kona coffee farmers. During beginning of the century most of the farmers here were Japanese. They selected choice types from hundreds of seedlings planted. That is why most of the old Hawaii avocado cultivars have Japanese names.
BTW, in this pamphlet from Hawaii tropical agriculture college, the Nishikawa, from possible ratings of excellent, very good, and good, is only given a good rating:
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-1.pdf

Many thanks for your accounting on the Nishikawa and its history in Hawaii.

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Wow if a Nish is only considered good i cant wait to taste one that is considered great .  How does someone go about buying some of these exotic Avocados to taste ?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
Wow if a Nish is only considered good i cant wait to taste one that is considered great .  How does someone go about buying some of these exotic Avocados to taste ?
You're probably not going to get to taste them unless you grow them yourself. Hawaii is only allowed to export Sharwil, and then to only selected states that don't grow their own avocados.
Oscar