Author Topic: Guava ID help  (Read 1230 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Guava ID help
« on: July 20, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »
I bought this guava tree last year and it was just to me as a pink guava from a lady I found online that was running her own little nursery.  I have no idea what kind this actually is. Can someone help me?

It is literally the beat guava I have eaten. I had another pink guava tree a few years ago and it produced good fruit but the skin was a lot thicker, had what seemed to be a million seeds in the inside and seeds were hard as rocks. This guava has thin skin, not that many seeds and what seeds it does have are easily crushable, some are even soft,  and not hard as rocks. They are also a lot bigger than the ones I grew previously. Any ideas?

* The guava in my hand is not the one I cut up..

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Guava ID help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 06:31:07 AM »
Looks like Ruby x supreme

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »
Thank you, I don’t know much about the actual different varieties, just that their are the Thai white and pink guavas plus I am sure some other general groupings.

Anyone else think it is a ruby x supreme or possibly a different variety? I want to sell cuttings when I prune it and don’t want to mislabel it.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
I think selling it labeled as a pink guava would be truthful enough

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 04:27:32 PM »
My Ruby Supreme. Plant came from Pine Island Nursery.

I am growing it in a container and out in the sun 7 months of the year.

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 06:24:36 PM »
Ah, Guavas...

This doesn’t look like ‘Homestead’ (Ruby x Supreme)

Guava is among the toughest fruit to identify the cultivar of. The best situation is asking the source where they propagated it from. It may be from seed or vegetative propagation. The seed pattern can help identify the fruit as well. Taste test and acid / ascorbic acid levels would be more definite. I will review a few photos and see if any strike me as similar.

The true cultivar name of this varietal is ‘Homestead’, which is a hand polinated cross by George Ruehle of ‘Ruby’ x ‘Supreme’. Ruehle was a scientist at TREC Tropical Research Center in Homestead’s Redland, and also served as President of the Rate Fruit Council International, based in Miami, among being on the organization’s founders in 1955.
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »
Hmm yeah mine seem to be a lot larger than Ruby X Supreme. Either way I guess I will just sell it as pink guava. They sure are delicious!

If they were anything like my previous tree (bought at home depot) I was going to pull it out and put something else there. Those were mostly all seeds that were basically rocks. This tree I have now has given me a new appreciation for guavas.