Author Topic: Bignay: flowering and fruiting  (Read 2301 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Bignay: flowering and fruiting
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
Concerning bignay / Antidesma bunius:

1) Does anyone know the typical flowering and fruiting times?  The exact dates don't matter as much as the length of time in which they're in bloom / time the fruit is on the tree / length of the harvest.  The only thing I've found is one page mentioning that the harvest is 3 months.  The flowering time is particularly of interest as the flowers are foul smelling.

2) How long does the fruit last off the tree (shelf life)?

3) I'm finding mixed information about pollination.  The trees are dioecious, but one source says that female trees fruit abundantly without males, while another recommends one male for every 10-12 females.  What's the reality?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:32:38 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Re: Bignay: flowering and fruiting
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
I know of a few trees of this species, and all of them are isolated, and fruit very well on their own, so I don't think they need more than one to fruit!
About how long the flowering last, I'm not sure, but I now that both flowering and fruiting are not uniform, and you can have sometimes flowers, small fruits, and almost ripe fruits at the same time, wich means you can never harvest all the fruit at once, sometimes even in the same raceme.
About shelf life I have no idea as I always eat them directly from the tree, and never tried to save some to see how long do they last.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:30:41 PM »
Mine are fairly fast growing. The seller, another forum member, told me they fruit on their own, but perhaps fruit more prolifically with a male plant. Not sure, but I kept a couple extras just in case.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:23 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Is the flower smell as terrible as it's sometimes described?  Aka, if it were in a large greenhouse, would we need to specifically control ventilation near it?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:44:44 AM »
Have fruiting trees. They usually fruit in summer. The fruiting time is rather short, a few weeks, but can have second flowering season. The viability of fruits is very short, even in the fridge. I've never found the flowers to smell bad, but haven't tried smelling them close up. It's better to have more than one tree, especially inside a greenhouse.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 05:54:56 AM »
Thanks Oscar!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:46 AM »
I know of a few trees of this species, and all of them are isolated, and fruit very well on their own, so I don't think they need more than one to fruit!
About how long the flowering last, I'm not sure, but I now that both flowering and fruiting are not uniform, and you can have sometimes flowers, small fruits, and almost ripe fruits at the same time, wich means you can never harvest all the fruit at once, sometimes even in the same raceme.
About shelf life I have no idea as I always eat them directly from the tree, and never tried to save some to see how long do they last.
Hello my friend! Did you eat any fruit yet? They are etable?  ::)

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »

Hello Oscar,

I have some trees loaded with immature fruits now, a doubt how to consume?

They are a little sour, but I like the taste, they remind me of the taste of Gondo, the problem is that the trees are planted near other delicacies here like longans and cambuca, so even if I strive to eat the bignay, the eyes always they are to another side!

I think about making a kind of wine or jelly with and are they possible?

Have fruiting trees. They usually fruit in summer. The fruiting time is rather short, a few weeks, but can have second flowering season. The viability of fruits is very short, even in the fridge. I've never found the flowers to smell bad, but haven't tried smelling them close up. It's better to have more than one tree, especially inside a greenhouse.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »

Hello Oscar,

I have some trees loaded with immature fruits now, a doubt how to consume?

They are a little sour, but I like the taste, they remind me of the taste of Gondo, the problem is that the trees are planted near other delicacies here like longans and cambuca, so even if I strive to eat the bignay, the eyes always they are to another side!

I think about making a kind of wine or jelly with and are they possible?

Don't think they are very good out of hand, and also quite small. But they make excellent wine and jelly.
Oscar

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »

Yes, they are eatable, but not the best fruit I ever eat in my life! If properly ripe, they are a bit sweet, lightly crisp, and a bit adstringent.

About the flower smell, I've never notice a bad smell coming from it, but I also never put my nose close to it.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 04:42:14 AM »

Yes, they are eatable, but not the best fruit I ever eat in my life! If properly ripe, they are a bit sweet, lightly crisp, and a bit adstringent.

About the flower smell, I've never notice a bad smell coming from it, but I also never put my nose close to it.
Regarding the bignay it is rewarded by the nutrition beneficts. Here we say: quem se cura não se regala!  ;D