Author Topic: Will this mango ripen in the house?  (Read 2049 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Will this mango ripen in the house?
« on: June 17, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
For the mango gurus out there I need some advise, I found this mango hanging on the tree, clearly either squirrels or birds or whatever else has been chewing on it. I noticed the mango is already yellow inside. Do you think I can pick some of the mangoes on the tree now and what are the chances of them ripening inside the house? I'm losing about 5 or 6 mangoes daily to squirrels/varmints and I'd rather pick the few that they left me or I'll end up with nothing  :'(...This is a Glenn mango btw. Thanks in advance

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Will this mango ripen in the house?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:48 PM »
Frustrating! I'd sacrifice this one to test ripeness. Cut this one open and see what the inside looks like down to the seed. In my experience if it is yellow all the way to the seed others picked are likely to ripen properly. If it is only a thin bit of yellow and the rest of the interior is white then they don't ripen properly. Probably some middle ground those with more experience can comment on.

I had some that dropped due to drought stress when still most white inside- made really amazing mango pickles. Not the same as a ripe mango- but at least I got to enjoy them.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
don't know about ripeness but I know putting hot sauce on your mangos is a good way to deter animals

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 10:16:47 PM »
I have always ripened mangos on my lanai as apposed to inside in AC?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 10:17:10 PM »
don't know about ripeness but I know putting hot sauce on your mangos is a good way to deter animals

An electric fence is better, it doesn’t have to be that high.

Also, this year I bought a bunch of fruit bags off of amazon. Hopefully those will help also.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »
Thanks all! I'll probably take the chance and pick them now...if they don't ripen I can a few of them green Lol...nothing to lose at this point if I don't pick them they will just eat them all!

The fruit bags didn't work for me, once they figured out how to chew thru them that was the end of that! I also used plastic clamshells, window screening, bird netting...they eventually figured out how to get to them **sigh**

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »
Such sad pics! But from looking at them, the fruit is yellow all the way to the seed - I think they will ripen fine if you pick them and let them ripen inside. I picked all my cogshalls early last year to avoid jellyseed - just spread out a bunch of newspaper on my counter & layed them all out. The ones I put in the garage (no a/c) ripened faster, but I didn't notice much difference in quality of ripening in a/c vs not.

Maybe get a cat if you can? I have 2 cats and I suspect they might be keeping the squirrels away enough that they don't have time to figure out the clamshells I use. I know for sure my male cat has caught a couple squirrels - he brings them home as "prizes", lol. Raccoons are too big for him to wrangle with...but luckily those don't seem willing to chew through plastic. They will sometimes tear a mango in the clamshell off the tree and then leave it laying somewhere on the lawn - usually still ok inside the clamshell.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »

If in refrigerator... lowest odds to nill.
If in air conditioned room... perhaps.
If in temperature of 80 F. to 100 F...... excellent odds.

I have let a few wind blown Glens sit under the tree this year that were that green just to see if they would ripen and they all did; but my night time temperature stays above 74 here.

I have also ripened a few in cars with the windows up and the cars sitting in partial shade and that works quicker. If in full sun in the window it might cook so I would not do that. Garage would also be a good location for ripening if no a/c.

I am sure you know of the previous posts but here are a few to solve your problem with a lot of persistence and relatively small costs for some of the solutions, if desired:::
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d7309df3a74a261b6df161b372d9c7e&topic=28645.msg324838#msg324838

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8d7309df3a74a261b6df161b372d9c7e&topic=29332.msg331759#msg331759

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:57:00 PM by palmcity »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »
Some people protect their mangoes with cages made out of 1/2" hardware cloth.
I caught my 20th squirrel of the year today.
I use a modified squirrelinator and sunflower seeds.

I caught 4 yesterday.

Good luck, where there is one there is more.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »
Hi Sun, actually those pics I posted using the aluminum window screens were from several years ago...now they are eating anything in sight, found many that were totally green and some very light yellow  :'(...I'm glad you have your cats, I'm sure they do keep most of your squirrels away, I can't get one now but maybe I need to borrow my neighbor's cat Lol... ;)

Those heavier wire do work, it's just very time consuming and hard for me to make...plus I would need SO many of them...I think I just have to live with the fact that I may only get 15-25% of my fruits, sad but it's a reality.

Palmcity Thanks! I have a screened porch that I can try and ripen the greenish  ones. I thought the 90's temperature would be too hot for them, so good to know that is the better choice than the pantry which would be in the 70's degree range... 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:02:23 AM by puglvr1 »