Author Topic: Growing lychees in Jamiaca  (Read 11460 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Growing lychees in Jamiaca
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »
How many chill hours does Jamaica have? Zero?
How come they have get lychee harvests while South Florida lychee tree owners are left high and dry?

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/news/-If-yuh-have-a-Chinese-guinep-tree--yuh-nice-
May 2012

A bearing lychee tree usually means little sleep for its owner Josephina Peart, who spends many a night guarding the expensive fruits which, this year, fetch between $500 and $700 per pound.

The threats? Thieves, birds, children, the rain.

“People steal it and so you have to set up during the night to watch it,” Peart told the Jamaica Observer North East as she paused from doing brisk business at her gate in Content, Castleton, St Mary last week.

“We (also) have to watch out for the birds and throw things at them or sometimes we hang clothes in the trees to scare them off because we can’t afford for them to eat one, especially since it don’t bear nuff this year,” she said, adding that only three residents in the district benefited from a crop this year.

Lychee, called Chinese guinep by many Jamaicans, is native to southern China and south-east Asia. It tends to bear in recurrent flushes, followed by periods of dormancy. As such, by January, Peart said residents begin to get excited when the trees start to blossom as this is usually a clear sign that they will be the beneficiaries of a crop that year.

And by May, when the lychees begin to ripen, Peart said owners become very vigilant in ensuring that not even the neighbourhood children indulge as every last one must go towards fetching the best price.

For wayside peddlers, the lychee market is most lucrative during the years when the succulent fruit does not bear in abundance. At those times, the few persons lucky to have bearing trees can near triple the $200 or $300 per pound for which it is normally sold during the dormant years.

“If yuh have a Chinese guinep tree yuh nice, but you have to watch it,” said Peart, who works as a domestic helper when she is not selling.

When the fruit is in abundance she and her neighbours do not rely only on selling to motorists, but sell at wholesale price to other vendors for resale.

Thirteen years ago when Peart relocated to her present home in Castleton, she immediately discovered she was among the few residents lucky enough to have a tree on their property. Since then, each year, she has done thriving business selling the exotic fruit outside her gate.

“As soon as it start to ripe we have to pick them off and sell them,” she said, adding that the fruit goes very fast as people enjoy eating it.

The part-time vendor explained that sometimes Chinese nationals travel to this rural parish to purchase entire trees of the fruit, paying as much as $30,000 in some cases.

“When the Chinese come to buy and them ask you how much you want for the tree and you say $20,000 or even $30,000 they size up the tree and if them agree dem just get someone fi pick it and pay you money,” she said.

______________EXCERPT________________

Lychee in Jamaica from (link)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:31:22 PM by zands »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Growing lychees in Jamiaca
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »
I 've been picking lychee's in Thailand in the most hot/humid place i  have ever been. No chill hours at all there and loads of lychee's. They grew between ditches on raised land which was raised by about a metre above the waterline.

Maybe the Floridians have the wrong variety?

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
Yeah Bangkok, sound like we have garbage varieties here. I certainly have my share of unproductive trees.  The wood make excellent wood for smoking kingfish & lion fish. All the Nurseries here sell the same thing since the 80's.  The closest thing for orgy excitements are seedless lychee variety that recently land on our shore, be a few year before we can find out if it is another disappointing introduction.  I hate the fruit but the wife just love her native fruit.  What has been productive for me has been raiding the Asian markets here for can lychee; at least they are not alternating bearing, seedless & does not need any chilling hour since coming in a tin can, that chilling metallic taste just something we learn to love & the diabetic corn syrup its pack in; my wife envy your country unabashed abundant.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:46:03 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

muttley

• Ghana, West Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:59 AM »
Wow, this is an earth-shaking revelation if there ever was one.  Previous to reading this report from Jamaica, I was under the impression that there is simply no way that any sub-species of lychee could ever flower in the tropics where there is never a cold snap to trigger flowering.

Now I can see that there is at least a chance that the 20 odd lychee trees that I grew out from Oscar's Hawaiian stock of seeds, which all stand at a mere 3 feet tall, MAY, in the fullness of time, flower and fruit out here at just 6 degrees north of the Equator.

Hearing about the insane prices that Chinese nationals in Jamaica are willing to pay for lychee is inspirational to say the least.  I almost feel like posting a 24 hour guard over my tiny lychee trees down by the river, to ensure that they are not tree-napped and replanted at a secret location by the dastardly  perpetrators.

Oscar, something tells me that I will be ordering a bunch more lychee seeds from you before long he he.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:32:13 AM by muttley »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:22:48 AM »
Wow, this is an earth-shaking revelation if there ever was one.  Previous to reading this report from Jamaica, I was under the impression that there is simply no way that any sub-species of lychee could ever flower in the tropics where there is never a cold snap to trigger flowering.

Now I can see that there is at least a chance that the 20 odd lychee trees that I grew out from Oscar's Hawaiian stock of seeds, which all stand at a mere 3 feet tall, MAY, in the fullness of time, flower and fruit out here at just 6 degrees north of the Equator.

Hearing about the insane prices that Chinese nationals in Jamaica are willing to pay for lychee is inspirational to say the least.  I almost feel like posting a 24 hour guard over my tiny lychee trees down by he river, to ensure that they are not tree-napped and replanted at a secret location by the dastardly  perpetrators.

Oscar, something tells me that I will be ordering a bunch more lychee seeds from you before long he he.

You mean those prices are in US$? I thought the local currency.  2-300 us$ a pound in the dormant years? Wow

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Ratchaburi-weather-averages/Ratchaburi/TH.aspx

Here you can see the climate for Ratchaburi Thailand, the province where they grow lychee's.  There is another lychee variety grown in North Thailand where the climate is a little cooler.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:27:54 AM by bangkok »

muttley

• Ghana, West Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 02:37:16 AM »
Hey Bankok I would give my right arm just to learn the name of the lychee variant that is successfully fruiting in Thailand or in Jamaica.   I am checking out your link now, and any further information you can provide will be tremendously appreciated.

Standing by for any pointers yourself, or any readers from Jamaica or Thailand, can offer.

I stumbled on this FAO document about this subject

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/AC684E/ac684e0c.htm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:03:11 AM by muttley »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:50:04 AM »
Hey Bankok I would give my right arm just to learn the name of the lychee variant that is successfully fruiting in Thailand or in Jamaica.   I am checking out your link now, and any further information you can provide will be tremendously appreciated.

Standing by for any pointers yourself, or any readers from Jamaica or Thailand, can offer.

Regards

Well we had a long thread here on the forum about lychee;s in thailand. I remember Oscar knew a lot about it. He also adviced me then to not grow them in Bangkok because they won't fruit there. Then i cut my tree.

But in the USA they have so many litchy variety's. I thought they fruited fine there.

http://lincheethai.com/
I don't know the names of the Thai variety's but i think another member will know them.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 03:04:38 AM »
http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/AC684E/ac684e0c.htm
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Litchi/LycheeVarieties5-83.htm

Some thai names for well known lychees above.

Some parts of Jamaica are colder and wetter than Kingston especially at elevation and. Places that get below 16c or lower would be where the lychees grow.

muttley

• Ghana, West Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »
Much thanks, Mike.  I am poring over this FAO document now, and will dig up the old discussion thread on the subject mentioned by Bangkok, to whom I also offer my gratitude.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 03:10:38 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10875.msg139192#msg139192

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5767.0;nowap

Here some members write that they grow jakrapat lychee in florida and it fruits well. Jakrapat is from north thailand and means emperor, red emperor actually.

After i killed my own lycheetree my old neighbour told me about the chinese lycheegardens in bangkok. According to him (he is a botanist) the chinese grew lychee's in BKK but i couldn't understand him well.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:26:49 AM by bangkok »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 04:13:07 AM »
Muttley if you get down to about 15c or so in winter, tai so (or mauritus in US) and kwai mai pink (Bosworth) need less chilling of the good commercial types. These 2 should be on the hit list.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 04:16:56 AM »
Jamaica has mountains, so not all of it is tropical, up in mountains would be considered sub tropical. Difference is that southern Florida is flat as a pancake. The are some tropical lychee types in Thailand, but i doubt they have any of those in Jamaica. BTW chakapat, or emperor, is NOT a tropical lychee. It is mostly grown and fruited in northern Thailand around Chiang Rai.
Oscar

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
One US dollar equals 111 Jamaican dollars (today)

Hearing about the insane prices that Chinese nationals in Jamaica are willing to pay for lychee is inspirational to say the least.  I almost feel like posting a 24 hour guard over my tiny lychee trees down by he river, to ensure that they are not tree-napped and replanted at a secret location by the dastardly  perpetrators.

You mean those prices are in US$? I thought the local currency.  2-300 us$ a pound in the dormant years? Wow

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Ratchaburi-weather-averages/Ratchaburi/TH.aspx

Here you can see the climate for Ratchaburi Thailand, the province where they grow lychee's.  There is another lychee variety grown in North Thailand where the climate is a little cooler.

muttley

• Ghana, West Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
My enthusiasm for embarking on a larger lychee grow vanished the instant I checked the exchange rate, Saltcayman. 

Then I read through the online FAO document which commented that many lychee orchards in Thailand have been replanted with Longan trees, whose fruit already fetch a higher price than lychee there.   Longan are evidently known to fruit far more reliably than lychee do, when planted close to the equator where  the temperatures remain high year-round, so I think I'll stay with Longans rather than gamble on lychee.

Oh well, another get-rich machination implodes on the drawing board.  Longans it is then, for any future dabbling I do in this area.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:45:57 AM by muttley »

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
Jamaica has mountains, so not all of it is tropical, up in mountains would be considered sub tropical. Difference is that southern Florida is flat as a pancake. The are some tropical lychee types in Thailand, but i doubt they have any of those in Jamaica. BTW chakapat, or emperor, is NOT a tropical lychee. It is mostly grown and fruited in northern Thailand around Chiang Rai.

Exactly.  Saint Mary Parish, Jamaica, has mountains to 4,000 feet.  The also grow Arabica ("Blue Mountain") coffee in those mountains.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
Jamaica actually has many mountainous areas with high elevations that get chilly. On past visits in these areas I have had to bundle up because temperatures were in the 40's, so there are chill hours in the interior of the island.     

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
https://www.google.nl/search?q=%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88&newwindow=1&hl=nl&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=egWmU6-CKIHsO4nmgIAG&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1242&bih=585#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=dmEhg18BSVpAuM%253A%3BauTDef6Q6iG8LM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.picdee.com%252Fimages%252F2013%252F06%252F18%252FDSCN6070EAbHP.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.baanmaha.com%252Fcommunity%252Fthread49106.html%3B1126%3B845

Here you can see those lychee's from Ratchaburi Thailand. They are delicious but i rarely eat them because i 'm not in Thailand in their season.

If there are no lychee's on the markets but they sell longangs then we buy them but i prefer lychee's. Longans are almost always on the markets. They cost about the same but longans are easyier to grow.

If i was in Ghana i would first get all the gold out of the soil and then make a nice orchard with lychee rambutan pulasan korlan fijian lychee longan and then see which performs the best.

I would plant every seed i could get my hands on if i had land like you do. Also growing fish and crayfish and prawns can do wellon your land.
Those monkeys will become a serious pest. Sure they will steal your fruit. And if the monkeys don't do it then another animal will.

muttley

• Ghana, West Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
Hello Bangkok, and much thanks for this additional information on tropical lychee species grow in Thailand. I do intend to plant as many different tropical fruiting trees as I can.  The few longans that I have are growing very well, so when the longan season rolls around I will most likely be ordering more of those from Oscar.  I plan on trying a relatively small number of lychee at first, simply because it will not be evident for a few years, whether I have indeed selected the precise cultivar that will consistently fruit here where there is no annual cold snap.

Regarding the anticipated orchard raids by the monkey troops living in the swamp forest, I agree they will need to be discouraged so that they do not for example pick unripe Borojoa fruit and thus stress the trees, whose fruit are only considered ripe when they fall to the ground on their own.  When my orchards start to bear fruit, my anti-monkey technology will consist of a man toting about an old muzzle-loader blunderbuss packed with black powder but with no pellets.   Those relics do go off with a bone-rattling boom that inflicts no physical harm when pellets are not used, so my furry friends will quickly learn to keep clear of my precious trees, and go back to foraging in the forest canopy. 

My search for pure tropical lychee continues in the meantime...

Regards
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:55:37 AM by muttley »

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »
hello all. Its been a while since I have been on and of course I couldn't help seeing this thread.
 Just picked the last of my maurishous crop here in the hills of Jamaica today. In our town it has been a good year with many trees giving better than average yields. (even though that's not saying much as I think only a small percentage fruit yearly)
In my experience here only over 1500 ft elevation do you stand any chance of having good flowering. Well that was what I thought until we heard of a tree bearing close to the capital city of Kingston. A friend checked it out and confirmed that indeed there was this 'freak' of nature. Well being the compulsive lychee farmers we didn't rest until we got a few air layers of this tree. The hope is that if it bears in Kingston then it should be even more consistent in Mandeville, Or so I hope.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 01:18:25 AM »
Hello Bangkok, and much thanks for this additional information on tropical lychee species grow in Thailand. I do intend to plant as many different tropical fruiting trees as I can.  The few longans that I have are growing very well, so when the longan season rolls around I will most likely be ordering more of those from Oscar.  I plan on trying a relatively small number of lychee at first, simply because it will not be evident for a few years, whether I have indeed selected the precise cultivar that will consistently fruit here where there is no annual cold snap.

Regarding the anticipated orchard raids by the monkey troops living in the swamp forest, I agree they will need to be discouraged so that they do not for example pick unripe Borojoa fruit and thus stress the trees, whose fruit are only considered ripe when they fall to the ground on their own.  When my orchards start to bear fruit, my anti-monkey technology will consist of a man toting about an old muzzle-loader blunderbuss packed with black powder but with no pellets.   Those relics do go off with a bone-rattling boom that inflicts no physical harm when pellets are not used, so my furry friends will quickly learn to keep clear of my precious trees, and go back to foraging in the forest canopy. 

Regards

When you order ask for seeds of Diamond River. They should fruit well at your location. Getting tropical lychees is much more difficult than longans.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »

Regards

Lychee's from rachaburi are sold in april in thailand, then i am abroad normally. Also they are not easy to find in bangkok in my area.

I have no idea how the thai call this lychee, it is not jakrapat that's all i know.

There is another member here that sells seeds from Thailand. That member also had korlan seeds for sale a while ago.

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
Hey Muttley,

Are you growing your lychees from seed or air layer?  When you grpw lychees from seed there is a lot of variability in the plant characteristics.  If you use seedlings maybe you could start your own selection experiment for tropical lychees!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
hello all. Its been a while since I have been on and of course I couldn't help seeing this thread.
 Just picked the last of my maurishous crop here in the hills of Jamaica today. In our town it has been a good year with many trees giving better than average yields. (even though that's not saying much as I think only a small percentage fruit yearly)
In my experience here only over 1500 ft elevation do you stand any chance of having good flowering. Well that was what I thought until we heard of a tree bearing close to the capital city of Kingston. A friend checked it out and confirmed that indeed there was this 'freak' of nature. Well being the compulsive lychee farmers we didn't rest until we got a few air layers of this tree. The hope is that if it bears in Kingston then it should be even more consistent in Mandeville, Or so I hope.

Hi Ronald,
 Was there any luck air layering the lowland Litchi down by Kingston?

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »
I grew up in Jamaica. Castleton in St. Mary parish is probably the best known lychee producing areas, due to its proximity to the capital Kingston, yet is has an average elevation of of 650 feet (200 meters). I've been to the Castleton gardens a couple of time and noticed the lychee trees there grow nearby the river (or on the river side of the main road). Elsewhere on the island, lychee trees are cultivated above 1200 ft (360 meters). There are a couple of probable reasons for this anomaly. First, lychee trees are one of the most climate sensitive fruit trees and selection of the wrong variety for an area can result in sporadic or no fruiting. Until recently, there has not been much varietal consideration in selecting lychee trees for planting in different areas in Jamaica. Second, Castleton borders the Blue Mountains reserve (which starts on the other side of the river). The Blue Mountains rise steeply to over 7000 ft (2000 meters) and no doubt, as sure a cold air falls and hot air rises, the chilling air flows down to create a unique microclimate in Castleton. Why lychee trees flower and fruit in the Barbican area in Kingston is a mystery. The cause is most likely varietal in my view.

In lowland tropical Australia, where I've visited, the lychee varieties ‘Souey Tung’ and ‘San Ye Hong’ are grown commercially. For more info on what varieties grow where in tropical and subtropical regions visit http://www.iplantz.com/plant/969/litchi-chinensis
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:32:56 PM by Balaman »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk