Author Topic: PH meter question  (Read 4117 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
PH meter question
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
Has any one done research or has a decently priced PH meter that works well?
The diversity and price ranges are incredible!!
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: PH meter question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
what are you testing? soil? water or both?

I think the best ones are designed for you to take a sample and shake it up in a vial.

maybe I am wrong though!

I have a cheap rapi-test brand meter, it works for what I need, but poorly so.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
I need it to test soil. Pots specifically, not much I can do about the soil in the grove. My water is always the same PH.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »
The water testers are usually more accurate. You could take some distilled water, and run it through a column of soil and test the muddy water after. Not sure how accurate it would be, though it should show if the soil is running acidic or alkaline.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
I use PH strips,   I get a soil sample, put in a small baby food glass jar, let it soak until settled, then use the ph strip.

I just thought of that method on my own, later found out, other folks do it that way.  using the same water you would use to water the plants, or rain water, to get a more accurate measurement.

here is a video:
Home Testing of Soil: Using Test Strips

The Ph strips are cheap , compared to those PH tests you buy at garden stores. you can use them to check your bodies Ph. ( original reason I purchased them ). I use the ones sold for health to test  saliva and or urine.

do not bother with those cheap ph meters you stick in the ground, they are very inaccurate. and even if they work right when you first get them, they lose accuracy as rods get scratched and corroded, plus you cannot calibrate them ( no adjustment screw ) which requires calibration solution to do.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:44:37 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
I use PH strips,   I get a soil sample, put in a small baby food glass jar, let it soak until settled, then use the ph strip.

I just thought of that method on my own, later found out, other folks do it that way.  using the same water you would use to water the plants, or rain water, to get a more accurate measurement.

here is a video:
Home Testing of Soil: Using Test Strips

The Ph strips are cheap , compared to those PH tests you buy at garden stores. you can use them to check your bodies Ph. ( original reason I purchased them ). I use the ones sold for health to test  saliva and or urine.

do not bother with those cheap ph meters you stick in the ground, they are very inaccurate. and even if they work right when you first get them, they lose accuracy as rods get scratched and corroded, plus you cannot calibrate them ( no adjustment screw ) which requires calibration solution to do.

The PH strips sold in pools stores would work?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

I've always heard that the paper is actually a lot less accurate than the meters.  The advantages the paper has are: cheap, and doesn't drift.  The meters are more accurate, less likely to be fooled by competing ions (but they must be maintained / calibrated...).  pH testing soil is a lot more difficult than pH testing water (because of all the competing ions and various other issues).
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
Not sure if pool strips would work,  i guess they would if they have the full ph range you want to cover,  at least 4-9.

Here is the ones i use, i have had mine a long time, only use them once in a while.   I also have some Ph testing drops I picked up at a hydroponics shop,  these could probably also be used,  this is what my father used when he was a pool manager / life guard, way back in the 60s.  he would have a little vial fill it with pool water, then add a couple drops of this solution and the water in the vial would turn color.  he had a few tests he would run, but he showed me how to do this when i was like 5 years old.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGEN-100-pH-TEST-STRIPS-FOR-URINE-SALIVA-FREE-SHIP-/180951340393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a218a5569

Ph "drops"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pH-Test-Kit-General-Hydroponics-Drops-Testing-for-Hydroponics-and-Liquids-/230866104211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c0b12f93
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
My customer that grows 1,3, 5, and 7 gallon plants for the big box stores uses PH meters by Kelway.  I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F9AHM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have no idea how accurate it is.  I need to find it to test my soil now that I have moved to a new house. Now, which box is it in...
Brandon

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »

I've always heard that the paper is actually a lot less accurate than the meters.  The advantages the paper has are: cheap, and doesn't drift.  The meters are more accurate, less likely to be fooled by competing ions (but they must be maintained / calibrated...).  pH testing soil is a lot more difficult than pH testing water (because of all the competing ions and various other issues).

Meters are great if you use the good ones,  that can be calibrated and have good probes.

The strips i was talking about are accurate to around 0.25 pH , and not to be confused with litmus paper.  so you can measure a ph of lets say  6.0, 6.25, 6.50 etc.  and since your soaking a good amount of soil in water for a while, you would get a better representation of the pH your plant is growing under.

those little test kits at home depot,  use just a small bit of soil and only give 10 tests per kit.

I have noticed though that the electronic soil pH meters are under 200 bucks ( digital, that can be calibrated ) so for a commercial grower like Carlos, may be ideal. for for us poor folks with just a few dozen plants.  I'll use the strips, anyway these were something I already had on hand.

The digital pH meters used in liquids have really come down in price, ( thanks to all those indoor growers out there ) and these could also be used like i use the pH strips, let the soil soak in some water, and after it settles, take a measurement.  I noticed some cheap 10 dollar digital "aquarium" meters made in china,  and can be calibrated.  of course who knows what quality these things are.  best stick with pro gear if your more than just a hobbyist.   

this thread has reminded me that I should be checking the pH in some of my containers which I haven't done in over a year.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:42:37 PM by Tropicdude »
William

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
I have a digital pH probe that I am not happy with.  Price: over $70.  The same button as On/Off is also the Calibrate button, and it always stays in calibrate mode, which gets it thoroughly uncalibrated every time one is trying to get a reading.
Har

Invar69

• USA, Northern California, 94040, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:01:18 PM »
I bought and use this Hanna pen combo unit.
http://www.ehydroponics.com/?action=product&id=1827
Its pricey but it works very well, plus the hydroponic store I got it from calibrates it for me for free when I bring it in about once every two months.
Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »
Thanks for all the good ideas and options. I want the PH meter to test pot soil. My grove has the same PH I check it once a year for all nutrients and that includes PH.

I'm having issues growing different plants in the same soil mix. I suspect is a PH issue.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

natsgarden123

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
Just saw this thread-  this works very well and its much much cheaper than strips- we use this in our office

http://www.amazon.com/PH-TEST-TAPE-Acid-Alkaline/dp/B0001SR4NM