Author Topic: Moved to Florida now I can grow everything... wait no.  (Read 5326 times)

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Moved to Florida now I can grow everything... wait no.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Cherry of the rio grande and GUABIJU should be ok, When I was at Adam's at FFF
he had Barbados cherries planted out side? Also Uvaia should work. 

Check out what huertasurbanas is selling, He is from Argentina and has stuff that
will work. Very nice seller and he will inform you on low temps that his plants can
take. Miguel pt from Portugal has a 9b greenhouse and his property is 9a. He has
a wealth of info and experience.

There are some real zone pushers on this forum and can give pointers on how to
stretch the limits. I am in 9b on the edge of 10a and also find myself pushing. I have allot
of mulch and organics around my trees and on cold nights I water heavy and this year I got
30F one night and got through it ok. I have a cotton candy tree and it got burned a bit
but not seriously.

I find myself checking the records temps for my area and it can get really cold here
throughout history. There were record nights in the teens here in the past. Scary!

Welcome to Florida!

I've never heard of any of those except Barbados cherries (Astoundingly similar taste to paint thinner >>) thanks a ton for the advice!

Barbados/Acerola don't have any resinous flavor, were you perhaps thinking of Surinam cherry?
- Colin

Jenniferokay

• US, FL, Inverness zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
Cherry of the rio grande and GUABIJU should be ok, When I was at Adam's at FFF
he had Barbados cherries planted out side? Also Uvaia should work. 

Check out what huertasurbanas is selling, He is from Argentina and has stuff that
will work. Very nice seller and he will inform you on low temps that his plants can
take. Miguel pt from Portugal has a 9b greenhouse and his property is 9a. He has
a wealth of info and experience.

There are some real zone pushers on this forum and can give pointers on how to
stretch the limits. I am in 9b on the edge of 10a and also find myself pushing. I have allot
of mulch and organics around my trees and on cold nights I water heavy and this year I got
30F one night and got through it ok. I have a cotton candy tree and it got burned a bit
but not seriously.

I find myself checking the records temps for my area and it can get really cold here
throughout history. There were record nights in the teens here in the past. Scary!

Welcome to Florida!

I've never heard of any of those except Barbados cherries (Astoundingly similar taste to paint thinner >>) thanks a ton for the advice!

Barbados/Acerola don't have any resinous flavor, were you perhaps thinking of Surinam cherry?

I was told it was a Barbados cherry, but it was the fruit collector's wife, not himself that told me, she might have been mistaken

Edited to add: it was totally a Surinam cherry, thanks a ton for correcting me, now I have to try Barbados.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:04:09 PM by Jenniferokay »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
Cherimoya will not fruit here. You can grow any of the tropicals just keep them i pots . All of my atemoyas are in pots. When it get cold just tip over and cover.

I'm not so sure about the Inverness area. I was there last summer and went into the Inverness Highlands South to visit a friend, almost felt like my ears popped from the altitude change. It is nearly 60 feet above sea level!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk