Author Topic: Future's Florida Fruit Feast 8  (Read 8323 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Florida Fruit Feast 8
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2018, 11:58:20 PM »
Where did you get the Cotton Candy mangos?

Zills Nursery had a big bucketload last week.  Others have since been and said they were out.
Dang!  (And that was only the middle of July.  So much for its being a late mango.)

From past tears, Cotton Candy is normally later part of July and into August mango (so mid July is not far off)       http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.msg215124;topicseen#msg215124

Do not focus on one year as a determinant of its harvest time.  Due to early bouts of cold weather, many varieties had early blooms and set early crops (some also set normal and some even late crops).  Thwee have been many varieties that came in early and a number of growers are tbrough with harvesta that they shouldn't be.

Walter has been harvesting tree ripe Honey Kiss for over a week and they normally do not come in till mid to late August and September.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
Got it, Rob.  I had a chance to taste Honey Kiss this year (but not from Walter).  Glad I planted it.
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
Our time is Florida is drawing to a close.  I spent a few hours today cutting mangos to freeze.  Funny how doing that invokes improved technique.  I put aside 5 dishes for everyone to eat, all frozen if any remained by end of day.  It was an all star line up.

Golden Queen, Orange Sherbet, Sweet Tart, Cotton Candy, Lemon Zest.

GQ was new to me.  Huge.  Apparently Keitt /Nam Doc Mai cross (or was it Kent?). It filled its bowl while others required several mangoes.  I don't normally have higher expectations of big mangoes.  This one was pure delight.  It has that NDM flavour not complex but...The sweetness though was ridiculous.  To find such a big mango, this sweet, a mango lovers dream.  I did eat it slightly green, just turning.  Perfect on the inside.  Hard to keep this one out of my top 20 after holding its own against the other players.

OS, LZ and St were all spot on.  Usual suspects.

Cotton Candy joined the party and kept its rep intact.  Tough to pick a winner among this bunch.  I'll post a picture later.  More mangoes to freeze...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
I froze FIVE! bags of mangos to use in smoothies for the next several months ;D.  Just Pickering and Angie, which was all I had this year.  But since their flavor profiles are totally different, it's a good combination.  Please describe the flavor of Cotton Candy from your eating experience.
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
I froze FIVE! bags of mangos to use in smoothies for the next several months ;D.  Just Pickering and Angie, which was all I had this year.  But since their flavor profiles are totally different, it's a good combination.  Please describe the flavor of Cotton Candy from your eating experience.

When I had it in 2015 (http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15518.msg216171#msg216171)  I noted similarity between it and coconut cream.  Sickly sweet plus a similar flavour profile.  I found the same thing this year.  It doesn't taste exactly like CC, but similar.  I have both planted and they are unique enough flavor wise. Some have called CC too sweet.  The same might be said this other CC.

When it comes to cutting.  I now slice in two then take the sides off the seed.  A grid is cut into the two slabs as if doing a mango porcupine, and then cut them in two.  If they hold together, nipping one end while slicing under the flesh, knife pressure down against cutting board, all cubes stay in place and can be dropped one time into the bag or container.  That times 4 plus the two little sides and the mango is done, leaving me a seed to chomp on and a pile of mango skin to slip into the trash.  Easy.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 08:49:39 PM »

When I had it in 2015 (http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15518.msg216171#msg216171)  I noted similarity between it and coconut cream.  Sickly sweet plus a similar flavour profile.  I found the same thing this year.  It doesn't taste exactly like CC, but similar.  I have both planted and they are unique enough flavor wise. Some have called CC too sweet.  The same might be said this other CC.

When it comes to cutting.  I now slice in two then take the sides off the seed.  A grid is cut into the two slabs as if doing a mango porcupine, and then cut them in two.  If they hold together, nipping one end while slicing under the flesh, knife pressure down against cutting board, all cubes stay in place and can be dropped one time into the bag or container.  That times 4 plus the two little sides and the mango is done, leaving me a seed to chomp on and a pile of mango skin to slip into the trash.  Easy.

Coconut flavor in a Cotton Candy?  😖😞😟😕😭😭😭
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
Normally I wrap up the adventure with a summary post. This year we had a death in the family and have been focused on that.

So my delayed and short 2018 summary:it was a good year. Standouts were, in no particular order

Golden Queen, Orange Sherbet, Sweet Tart, Cotton Candy, Lemon Zest, Cac, Zill Indochinese, Creme Brulee, E-4, Coconut Cream and Pineapple Pleasire.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:29:20 PM by Future »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 11:27:13 PM »
Future, my condolences for the death in the family.

Also, thanks for the wrap up. I always look forward to your reviews when I’m trying to narrow down what varieties we should be planting at our orchard.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk