Author Topic: Winters Mango  (Read 1902 times)

cgalbraith

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Winters Mango
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
 Is anyone in this group familiar with a mango variety called Winters? I Purchased this tree from a nursery in San Diego and was told that’s what it was. Evidently it is also known by a number 20222. I can’t find any information on this mega variety and I’m hoping someone knows something about it so that I know what to expect from the plant and the fruit. I have quite a few fruits of the tree this year

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Winters Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »
From CA CRFG website:
Winters (syn, M20222, Southland)
Origin Miami, USDA, 1959. Seedling of Ono, Philippine type, polyembryonic. Tree broad, production variable. Fruit medium, to 14 oz., smaller in desert, shape half-round, yellow blushed red. Subject to anthracnose, resists soft nose. Parthenocarpic fruit will reach full size. Season midseason (Nov-Dec), ripens well if picked immature. For coast, foothills, interior.

Edit: I originally thought Peggy...after Peggy Winter, but got confused.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:43:26 PM by wslau »
Warren

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »
Winters is the correct name.  It originated in Miami I believe, a seedling of Ono.  It is of good eating quality and here, somewhat early season.  Meeium sized fruit, about 3/4 of a pound.  Fruit is very colorful, with various shades if yellows and reds.

No idea why the name Peggy would ve associated with it.
- Rob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »
I have a young 20222 tree on florida rootstock that is growing really nicely.  Came from exotica with a yellow tag maybe from zills.   I let it hold a single fruit this year.  So havent tried them yet but the tree seems pretty vigorous.

Brad Spaugh

cgalbraith

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like it might be a very good tree. It is the vigorous grower of all of my mango trees. Right now the fruits are about the size of a half dollar. There are about 20 on the tree. Should I be removing some? I removed all the small ones but have been hesitant to remove healthy looking fruit.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
How big is the tree and when did you plant it?
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like it might be a very good tree. It is the vigorous grower of all of my mango trees. Right now the fruits are about the size of a half dollar. There are about 20 on the tree. Should I be removing some? I removed all the small ones but have been hesitant to remove healthy looking fruit.

Hiw big and old is the tree?
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk