Author Topic: How Long Does Mango Scions Lasting?  (Read 4912 times)

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
How Long Does Mango Scions Lasting?
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »

Hi All.

For how long mango scions can survive and lasting in a parcel? I need some informations from all of you here.

cheers
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How Long Does Mango Scions Lasting?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:28:12 AM »

Hi All.

For how long mango scions can survive and lasting in a parcel? I need some informations from all of you here.

cheers

The mango scions will last several weeks if properly packed and not exposed to temperature extremes. Ofcourse the sooner you graft them the better. BTW just had report of longan scions i sent to someone and lasted one month and almost all took.
Oscar

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:31 AM »

Hi All.

cheers

The mango scions will last several weeks if properly packed and not exposed to temperature extremes. Ofcourse the sooner you graft them the better. BTW just had report of longan scions i sent to someone and lasted one month and almost all took.

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the information.

cheers
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
Avocado Scions that i got from Carlos, traveled to three different homes over a month period, before I could use them, and I had 100% success both pieces took.  Mango scions I have had a lot less luck, I blame it more on my inexperienced grafting skills, and timing of season etc.  only success so far has been with a single Coconut cream.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »
If properly packed, a two week transit is not a problem.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
What is the proper way to package scions for shipping a great distance?    Is a box better than an envelope?  Does a ziplock plastic bag help?  Or hurt?  8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 02:46:33 AM »
What is the proper way to package scions for shipping a great distance?    Is a box better than an envelope?  Does a ziplock plastic bag help?  Or hurt?  8)

If you are sending just a few then wrap each scion individually in parafilm.  If you are sending many scions then put them in a zip lock with some moist medium. Roll the zip lock bag tightly and hold tight with some rubber bands. Definitely use a box as envelope will get crunched.
Oscar

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »
Thanks, Oscar. I have volunteered to send some scions far away, but I need to educate myself first.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 03:50:03 AM »

If you are sending just a few then wrap each scion individually in parafilm.  If you are sending many scions then put them in a zip lock with some moist medium. Roll the zip lock bag tightly and hold tight with some rubber bands. Definitely use a box as envelope will get crunched.
Oscar do you moisten the scions before you put in the zip lock bag? Do you moisten the medium, or you use the scions and the medium as it is?
Mike

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 04:05:12 AM »

Oscar do you moisten the scions before you put in the zip lock bag? Do you moisten the medium, or you use the scions and the medium as it is?

I moisten the medium with just a few drops of water.
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »
I'd like to report that I just have a mango scion that took (on a whip tongue graft) after being stored for 2 1/2 months. The graft has taken but it's too early to say that it is a success. Upon cutting, there were still a lot of latex coming out of the wound.

The scions were immediately wrapped in parafilm, put in a ziploc bag and stored in the bottom drawer of a fridge.
Thera

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »
Do you remove the petiols or do you let them in place? Do you also prepare the scions on the tree like 1-2 weeks before or it is not used?
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk