Author Topic: Dwarf Macadamia  (Read 7710 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Dwarf Macadamia
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »
I went to the Mother's Day garden show at the racecourse at the end of my street today and forgot my camera. There were a lot of good trees on offer but I only bought one.

Dwarf macadamias should be much more popular and cheap as they are precocious bearers and great for pot culture. Seedlings stay small and produce many fruit. 

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Macadamia
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
WOW Mike, I haven't seen a dwarf up here in Calif. very interesting is this a selected seedling or are they being grafted.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
Scott, dwarf selected true to type seedlings bred for extreme small size, nut quality and early bearing. They are expensive and rare. I have heard about 4 foot trees in pots covered in nuts.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
Google Daleysfruit.com and read description and especially the comments.  It is an integrifolia (tetraphylla do better in CA), and produces "small nuts".  Growers in Australia, based upon the comments, seem to have some trouble growing it.  I wonder if it is dwarfed due to a poor root system.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
Correction on propogation........while a genetic dwarf they are usually propogated by cuttings.I have seen glowing reports as well as those that are less than enthusiastic.The main concerns are that nuts are smaller than average and tree can lack vigor.M.integrifolia handles it warmer than M.tetraphylla (being sub tropical rather than warm temperate in preferred climate) and also has a better tasting nut.The richer taste and higher sugars of M.integrifolia has made this species and crosses dominated by this species the focus of breeding programs for new and improved varieties.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »
I've seen these bearing relatively heavily at 1 foot in pots. If you have space a good full sized variety is best in the long run. If you want a more ornamental version the pink flowered hybrids are nice and give a decent quality and quantity of nuts. if you have little space or want to try them in pots these dwarves are great - nuts not quite as good as the best, but they are the ones for pots and there are other crosses and I hear selections are being trailled and bred now that should result in better dwarves.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:51:22 AM »
Do you know where one can buy some of those dwarf macadamia seeds?
Daniel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »
They sell a dwarf macadamia in FL, but I only know one source for the tree.  Anderson Macadamia.  The owner of this FL macadamia farm is very knowledgable and friendly....his macadamias are extremely delicious.  I hope to visit his farm soon.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
Adam, is the anderson macadamia also dwarf variety? and do you know how long take the seedling to start fruiting?
Daniel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
Anderson Macadamia is a macadamia farm in FL, and they sell the dwarf macadamia, and many ohter cultivars of macadamia.

I met the owner recently and really enjoyed learning from him...and of course tasting his macadamia products. 

http://app1.florida-agriculture.com/FACTS/Consumer/business/details/?i=2506
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

terriwilk

• sw florida usa 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
A very impressive operation to say the least. If you are ever in central Florida, you should stop by and take a tour of the farm!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »
I have one macadamia tree. Can you tell me some growing tips? She seams to like plenty of whater but burn with hot temperatures... and cold temp? She will stand? Thank's! ;)

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
Anderson Macadamia is a macadamia farm in FL, and they sell the dwarf macadamia, and many ohter cultivars of macadamia.

I met the owner recently and really enjoyed learning from him...and of course tasting his macadamia products. 

http://app1.florida-agriculture.com/FACTS/Consumer/business/details/?i=2506

Do they mail order or any other source of their dwarf variety?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk