Author Topic: Cocos nucifera Growing in Madeira...  (Read 10954 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Cocos nucifera Growing in Madeira...
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
Hi to all :),

The Coconut palm grows well here and flower! :) But, they do not set fruit :( :( :( the Coconut plam is planted in several locations along the southern coast of the Island from Santa cruz, Funchal, Madalena do mar and Ponta do sol!

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Cocos nucifera Growing in Madeira...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
Lack of pollinators?
FloridaGreenMan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
Lack of pollinators?

Lack of pollinators is not an issue here!

What I have observed is that the Coconut Inflorescence does not fully develop on these palms, it will grow about 5-10in and suddenly stop to grow!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
Lack of pollinators?

Lack of pollinators is not an issue here!

What I have observed is that the Coconut Inflorescence does not fully develop on these palms, it will grow about 5-10in and suddenly stop to grow!

Sounds like lack of humidity would be my guess.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
Hi nullzero,

Yes, Humidity is very important! You nailed it ;D ;D ;D

Maybe, in the world of the nuciferas...There might be a cold tolerant variety out there!
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
Hi nullzero,

Maybe, in the world of the nuciferas...There might be a cold tolerant variety out there!

If it did set some coconuts, it would lack moisture. Would probably be dry pulp inside most likely.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:22:55 PM »
Hi nullzero,

If it did set some coconuts, it would lack moisture. Would probably be dry pulp inside most likely.

I have never seen coco fruits on them! :( But, I will take you work for it!!!
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 02:47:37 AM »
Hi nullzero,

Those coconut trees look very unhappy. I think it's probably a combination of too low temperatures and also lack of humidity. My guess is that the first is more important, and that if you planted a tree with a heating element to warm the soil during winters you could get them to fruit.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:49:49 AM »
Hi nullzero,

Those coconut trees look very unhappy. I think it's probably a combination of too low temperatures and also lack of humidity. My guess is that the first is more important, and that if you planted a tree with a heating element to warm the soil during winters you could get them to fruit.

Oscar,
They sure do :(

I was thinking of a low cost heating element...In Azores the people there made a ingenious method to cultivate grapes! They build walls of black(probably lava)rocks to keep the temperature warm at night and during winter in those rock walled enclosures! As you know...dark rocks will absorb the heat of the sun and the heat will be released during the night, thus increasing the temp in few degrees!

So, If you take the same idea and doing it with dwarf coconut palm! I'm sure they will thrive and produce! Which will be a dream come true :)   

Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:02 AM »
That kind of lava rock wall enclosures is traditionally used here to raise pigs and to keep them out of the garden.
Oscar

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »
Men, you don't know how envious i am!
Cocos here are plain impossible, with maybe 4-5 months/year of suitable climate. I have heard (and seen some picture) of maibe 1-2 people growing them in pot, and i find it an outstanding accomplishment. But the word "growing" is an overstatement: they barely survive. Indoor the air is too dry (and too cold, even indoor, with 16-20°C). Outdoor, is wet and cold. And aside from this, cocos become very big. I love unripe coconuts, but they will always be a rare treat for me.
Anyway, some time ago i found on palmtalk a thread speaking about growing cocos in a unsuitable environment. Here you are, maybe you can get some suggestions:
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=27766&st=0
Be quick before Rhynchophorus ferrugineus eradicates palms worldwide!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:27:51 AM by Pancrazio »
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »
Men, you don't know how envious i am!
Cocos here are plain impossible, with maybe 4-5 months/year of suitable climate. I have heard (and seen some picture) of maibe 1-2 people growing them in pot, and i find it an outstanding accomplishment. But the word "growing" is an overstatement: they barely survive. Indoor the air is too dry (and too cold, even indoor, with 16-20°C). Outdoor, is wet and cold. And aside from this, cocos become very big. I love unripe coconuts, but they will always be a rare treat for me.
Anyway, some time ago i found on palmtalk a thread speaking about growing cocos in a unsuitable environment. Here you are, maybe you can get some suggestions:
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=27766&st=0
Be quick before Rhynchophorus ferrugineus eradicates palms worldwide!

Hi Pan...,

Thanks for your input and link! @the first page #28 with the pics of a potted Coconut! I seen them on sale occasionally for €25 a pop!

Don't even start to talk about the Red palm weevil >:( It's wiping out the Canary date palms over here!  :(
Time is like a river.

PlantHoarder

• USA, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
There are cold hardy variants, a surprising number of palm tree variants out there but none of the cold hardy versions are capable of producing a coconut.

Unless someone figures out how to create a hybrid that is. :) There are very few cold hardy versions that I know of.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Parajubea Cocoides?

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »
coconut usually need lot of potassium ...

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 05:43:51 AM »
In the nearby Canary islands coconut trees grow well in a just slightly warmer climate. They are being planted everywhere along the beaches. Fruit are not uncommon but when i picked them i got about 30% good nuts with flesh and water, 60% looking normal on the outside but with a espindle shaped shell, a bit of flesh and no water. Some 20% (but usually 100% from one tree look very normal o  the outside, up to 1.5 kg, plump and green but when you cut them open there is no shell, no flesh, no water, just fibers.
Maybe the climate is not perfect but you can get good coconuts there. My point being do not give up, i am sure with increased coconut cultivation for landscaping in Madeira you will get your nuts sooner or later😉

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
I do not believe that is it really a Cocos or Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera). I can imagine that there are planted some individuals of Cocumbe Palm, Synonyme Quito Palm or Mountain Cocos Palm(Parajubaea cocoides) - this species is much more robust than Cocos nucifera and both species are looking very similar!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:02:05 PM by usirius »
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
The trees in the Canaries are Cocos and not Parajubaea for sure. I might have seen Parajubaea somewhere around Puerto on Tenerife but i have harvested Cocos on Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and La Palma. The fruit are 10 times bigger than Parajubaea fruit, no way to confuse them when fruiting.
And yes, i am aware that i messed up the numbers when calculating what percentage of the Canary islands fruit are edible. Just take them as a rough estimate😂

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
I do not believe that is it really a Cocos or Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera). I can imagine that there are planted some individuals of Cocumbe Palm, Synonyme Quito Palm or Mountain Cocos Palm(Parajubaea cocoides) - this species is much more robust than Cocos nucifera and both species are looking very similar!

The palms in Madeira Island that were mentioned (and pictured) by Steven in this post, are really Cocos nucífera.
The palms are in fact very different from Quito Palm, as the last has a lot of fibers on the trunk and between the palm stalks, and Coconut palms don't.
And yes some of these palms in Madeira Island produce fruit, but they're fast removed by the city employees. Once I asked why did they removed it, and one told me that it was superior's orders, to avoid a nut falling over somone's head (dumbest excuse for me...).
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...