Author Topic: Mango Flavor  (Read 7167 times)

REB1136

• View Profile
Mango Flavor
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
What mango's have the most coconut and pineapple flavor?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Flavor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
Coconut:  Coconut Cream has the most, Gary and Pina Colada also have some and some say they notice to a slight degree there is a coconut-like essence in Pickering.

Pineapple: Sprinfels (not a very good mango, however), without confirming, Pineapple Pleasure, and somewhat Gary and Pina Colada.  There are many mangoes that have an acidic/tartness characteristic of a pineapple but not the flavor of pineapple.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
I think Jacquelin has some of the pineapple/coconut flavor,  most years but not all.

If you happen through Palm Beach County during the season, stop by and see what you think.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
I think Jacquelin has some of the pineapple/coconut flavor,  most years but not all.

If you happen through Palm Beach County during the season, stop by and see what you think.
I have never seen nor tasted a Jacquelin.
- Rob

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
Coconut:  Coconut Cream has the most, Gary and Pina Colada also have some and some say they notice to a slight degree there is a coconut-like essence in Pickering.

Pineapple: Sprinfels (not a very good mango, however), without confirming, Pineapple Pleasure, and somewhat Gary and Pina Colada.  There are many mangoes that have an acidic/tartness characteristic of a pineapple but not the flavor of pineapple.

Our Springfels and Kietts have a hint of pineapple up here on the island. I have 3 30year old Springfels and can't get enough fruit to make everyone happy. I feel it make great Jam because of the fiber!!

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »

The Jacquelins we have kind of have  a citrus Flavor to me.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »

Our Springfels and Kietts have a hint of pineapple up here on the island. I have 3 30year old Springfels and can't get enough fruit to make everyone happy. I feel it make great Jam because of the fiber!!

Up on what island?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
For me, Cushman has some pineappley flavors as well.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »
I may have been thinking of Cushman as well.  My tree didn't survive the hurricanes, but is fondly remembered.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
'Zill' has hints of pineapple, imo.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
Up on what island?

I'm Sorry SWRancher,

I'm up on Merritt Island on the East Central side of the state.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:18:36 PM by murahilin »

REB1136

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I have coconut cream and pickering on my list of mango trees that I want to purchase. Also I will look into the cushman as well

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I have coconut cream and pickering on my list of mango trees that I want to purchase. Also I will look into the cushman as well

Are you container growing where you are? In Mobile Alabama? You must have one of the largest collections of tropicals over there. Pickering is very well suited for container growing. If you like pineapple flavor so much then why not try to grow some......You know you slice the top 2 inches off a store bought one and plant it.

Anyways, to get back to your original inquiry. You dice up some of your future home grown mangoes and pineapples. Put them in a bowl, sprinkle a little sea salt on the mix...... And you will get your pineapple flavored mango. Try a 1-3 ratio of pineapple to mango.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:52:55 AM by zands »

REB1136

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
I have a few different tropicals growing in containers. Some of which are a couple of pineapples. I didnt cut the top off a pineapple like you described. I actually twisted the top off and peeled back some of the leaves to expose the roots that are already there. I not sure I understand what you mean by,"I must have one of the largest collection of tropicals over there". I do have several satsumas trees planted in the ground, along with a moro blood orange,2 limes and 2 lemon trees. I only have one mango tree and I just recently planted it in the ground. I know I probally shouldn't have planted it,but I have a nice shelter built for it when cold weather comes and I want to see if I can keep it alive.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
Last week I took a 3 gallon Pickering mango up to Tom at Dodd & Dodd Nursery in Semmes.
Richard

REB1136

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
Last week I took a 3 gallon Pickering mango up to Tom at Dodd & Dodd Nursery in Semmes.

Really, thats like just a few miles from my house. How often you make that trip?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
Julie has a bit of a coconut flavour and ok rung has a bit of a pineapple taste about it as does kensington pride.If your chasing the finest in the parade on all taste characters I'd give the tiara to one of the thai polyembryonics.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Really, thats like just a few miles from my house. How often you make that trip?
Only occasionally. I've known him for years and I told him I would get him a 'container friendly' mango so he wouldn't have to eat the stuff sold at the supermarket.
Richard