Author Topic: Sabra Jaboticaba Not growing well.  (Read 250 times)

Osamaashraf

• Pakistan
    • View Profile
Sabra Jaboticaba Not growing well.
« on: February 29, 2024, 03:03:28 AM »
So I started a topic on oct 2023 about my jaboticaba that it was not growing well. I posted these photos. It was losing its leaves and new growth was also becoming brown. here are the photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GawZ14cl0EYPHUjaoDerGiFtY888Ki0t

Now in January, the plant was feeling like, its going to die. but still green and no dieback. but no leaves. I realized a few things. one was the PH level of the soil mix here. its close to 8. Also the water was quickly draining from one side of the pot without properly wetting all the soil. So I wanted to report it. when I broke the pot, I saw a strange light brown soil that also had little stony granules in it. can it be the reason the plant was not doing good? ( photos in the link below). The plant was in this pot for many years in the nursery. I am not sure what was it,

So I then risked everything and washed all old soil and cleaned the root system and repotted the jaboticaba in Latvian imported peat moss. with a PH of 5.5 to 6. and I gave it Reverse osmosis filtered water. ( I read its ph is lower than our tap water)

Now I am happy to see the new shoots in Jaboticaba (The video is uploaded in the link below). New shoots are coming because spring is starting here. Happy to see them, and I hope the plant will survive. I wanted to ask for guidance. How can I take care of it? Is RO water fine? AC water? I will try to collect rainwater too in the rainy season. Also what fertilizer can I give to it? and I heard chelated iron can also be used? I would really appreciate your guidance. Thanks and sorry for the long message.

photos and video.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B_sAYB0DGm5XoISlQuyrCiA5RgA3plUc?usp=sharing

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Sabra Jaboticaba Not growing well.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 11:32:39 AM »
You are going in the right direction with what you are doing. The root system looked terrible in the old soil and photos, but looked better than I thought rinsed off.

You can water with RO or AC water, but AC water is distilled and will pull all the minerals and fertilizer out of your soil, so use it sparingly unless you are amending the water with fert and mineral supplements.

A lot of us use Hollytone or Osmocote (I actually prefer this these days), and it works great. You need to use very mild doses till your tree is growing well again and is full of leaves. If that is not available to you, I would recommend a very mild slow release fertiizer locally with a small dose of sulphur pellets. Again, if not available, aged chicken manure, and aged compost on top of the soil.

Osamaashraf

• Pakistan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 02:31:29 PM »
Thanks allot. Really appreciate your guidance and tips.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 05:16:34 PM »
I tried to find in members list your location in Pakistan to compare to climate of São Paulo,Minas Gerais the home of Jaboticabas. Jaboticabas fare well in cool climate where there is no freeze. They also need to be watered well.  I have Jaboticabas in Recife, northeast Brazil with climate similar to Bombay and  Poona India

Osamaashraf

• Pakistan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 01:35:44 PM »
I am from Lahore, Pakistan and it is in zone 10. lowest temperature is 4°C or 39.2°F. I did not water it a lot in winter because it did not have any leaves. but in last summer, I watered it a lot. The main problem with it was the poor potting soil and my tap water. I have rectified them. Hopefully, it will survive as it has not died back yet and I see new shoots. although they have not developed into leaves yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk