Author Topic: Coconut cream, Butter cream or M4 for best productivity?  (Read 1966 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Hello mango experts!  :D

Which of these trees (CC - BC - M4) have the best fruit production and secondly growth habit for South Florida?
These varieties have been out for sometime now, do we have a definite answer on them?

Thanks a bunch!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut cream, Butter cream or M4 for best productivity?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »
M-4

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
Production wise CC comes third. Taste wise, in my personal experience, BC comes third, this is based on my tasting of BC from Zhpp this year and M-4 last year, CC did not produce for me at all this year. Tree growth pattern wise i don’t know how BC is,i don’t have the tree growing but M-4 seems compact and symmetrical so far vs CC that tends to shoot it’s long branches vertically downwards. Both M-4 and CC seem to be equally resistant to anthracnose probably M-4 has a slight edge as I did spray copper on CC once and M-4 never.  So i would go with M-4 as well.
Satya

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »
Production wise CC comes third. Taste wise, in my personal experience, BC comes third, this is based on my tasting of BC from Zhpp this year and M-4 last year, CC did not produce for me at all this year. Tree growth pattern wise i don’t know how BC is,i don’t have the tree growing but M-4 seems compact and symmetrical so far vs CC that tends to shoot it’s long branches vertically downwards. Both M-4 and CC seem to be equally resistant to anthracnose probably M-4 has a slight edge as I did spray copper on CC once and M-4 never.  So i would go with M-4 as well.

Nicely put. The M-4 I saw at Brandon's house was compact and loaded. As I am running out of space, I am thinking about yanking my Super Julie and planting M-4 in its place.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »
m4 is later season as well

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:09:49 AM »
How late is m4?  Does it go into August / September?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »

Thank you for the reply!  M4 seems to be the way to go then.  Do you know anything on sugar loaf mango tree?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
Is M4 an alternate bearer?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »

Not that I know of.

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 04:10:10 PM »

Thank you for the reply!  M4 seems to be the way to go then.  Do you know anything on sugar loaf mango tree?

I had tasted sugar loaf from Zhpp in 2019. It stays green and good after a long time after picking, this one in the picture was bought a week ago and stayed in my garage for a week, it is slightly paler green, giving now to touch and ready to eat. It gets to bigger size than this but not as big as fruit punch, i would say a medium size mango.  Last year they had rich sweet flavor that reminded me of the mangoes i ate in India, certainly has a high brix, did not find much acidity. I have yet to try them this year, may be tomorrow i will try this one.
Tree as you can see is growing compactly, i am a lazy pruner and i want to get this tree to grow big so haven’t done much since planting it as a single stick just grafted 3g from Zhpp last summer. It did not flower for me this year. I have not had to spray any copper, looks healthy with neglect :)

Satya

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:20 PM »

I had tasted sugar loaf from Zhpp in 2019. It stays green and good after a long time after picking, this one in the picture was bought a week ago and stayed in my garage for a week, it is slightly paler green, giving now to touch and ready to eat. It gets to bigger size than this but not as big as fruit punch, i would say a medium size mango.  Last year they had rich sweet flavor that reminded me of the mangoes i ate in India, certainly has a high brix, did not find much acidity. I have yet to try them this year, may be tomorrow i will try this one.
Tree as you can see is growing compactly, i am a lazy pruner and i want to get this tree to grow big so haven’t done much since planting it as a single stick just grafted 3g from Zhpp last summer. It did not flower for me this year. I have not had to spray any copper, looks healthy with neglect :)

Nice specimen you got there, your trees look really healthy!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »

I heard that m4 mother tree can be alternate bearing, or at least weaker bearing alt-years. Unclear as of yet how grafted trees will fare

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »

I heard that m4 mother tree can be alternate bearing, or at least weaker bearing alt-years. Unclear as of yet how grafted trees will fare

I thought I heard the same about M4 being an alternate bearer.  If another variety is grafted on, say Beverly (another late variety but reliable), would it also be an alternate bearer or would it produce as expected?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk