Author Topic: Help me decide on a mango variety to add to the yard!  (Read 2367 times)

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Help me decide on a mango variety to add to the yard!
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:34:32 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a mango tree that will be placed in a large container (22 Inch diameter) in a spot in a small yard that gets sun most of the day in coastal southern California.

Taking into account best tasting fruit(sweet and complex), least fiber, most productive, small size tree and hardy tree. What mango varieties should I consider and is there one that is hands down the best to get if I only have space for one tree?
Thank you

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help me decide on a mango variety to add to the yard!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:35:37 AM »
Not sure how well it will do in cali weather but here in florida pickering mango is a top choice Cultivar for container growing.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
A condo mango would probably be your best choice.

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:12 PM »
I would say ice cream mango. In my opinion it fits your desires perfectly!

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Pickering or Julie is your best bet!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Dckstl

• St. Louis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »
Glad you asked the question! I've followed the forum for years and know that the "what's the best (fill in the blank) for me to plant first/next/if I can only plant one. My question comes in two parts - what mango do I try next and do I pull the plug on my Little Gem.

You can see in the pictures that it had a hard year last year. It lost the center stem due to rain, humidity, fungus, infestation, lack of care, and trundling it in and out with the seasons in Missouri. I don't see much by way of growth tips on the limbs that are left and don't know if it could ever support having fruit.  I want to try something again and wondered if you would still suggest Pickering for the shorter growing season in Missouri and spending the rest of the time in a grow room.

Top Tropicals in Fort Meyers has an overwhelming amount of choice - I can replace the Little Gem, get a Pickering, switch to a SE Asian Maha Chanok (seems popular here), or do something else. I've never tasted most of the varieties discussed here.

I have always appreciated the thoughtful posts here - I credit the forum with the survival and health of my lemon, lime, Buddha's hand and carimbola containerized trees. 

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
After some research I think I am leaning towards getting a pickering Mango since it seems to be highly recommended for container growth and I have seen the variety before at local nurseries. I will probably take a trip to mimosa or Champa nursery tomorrow to look at the trees they have. Before I pull the trigger, has anyone had success growing a pickering mango tree in southern California? Im in zone 10b near the coast and it will be in a sunny spot in the yard in a 22inch diameter by 22 inch tall container. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:11:22 PM by surftrunks »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »
I would stay away from Julie and Ice Cream because they grow at a snails pace and can have disease issues. I know you said you said you are keeping it in a pot in a small yard but I would still recommend you grow a vigorous variety because Mangos grow relatively slow here in SoCal.

By growing a vigorous variety, your tree will be better able to outgrow disease issues which we normally encounter in Winter and early spring. If you purchase a grafted tree. It will flower in its first or second year and the extreme precocity will cause a self dwarfing effect.

I’ve had a Pickering mango on Florida Turpentine rootstock that was planted into the ground and it actually did ok and produced some fruit but even in ground, it grew very slow and was very droopy.

The droopiness is caused by the heavy flower panicles which form every Winter and this causes the branches to be exposed to the sunlight which in turn causes sunburn damage and an entry point for pathogens. This will happen regardless of what rootstocks it is on but if you planted a vigorous variety, you can prune away downward facing branches and keep the upward facing branches but with slower, dwarf or condo mangos. The growth rate of vigor may not allow for additional vegetative growths due to the inherent nature of slower growing varieties, especially in our climate.

Sweet Tart is a variety that I would recommend. It is considered vigorous in Florida but most grafted varieties grow much slower here compared to when grown in warmer climates. I recently posted pictures of my small sweet Tart trees grafted onto California rootstocks that are only about 12 inches tall and holding fruit.

I can see you being able to keep a grafted sweet Tart in a pot for several years, keeping it at around 3-4 feet tall and just as wide with little effort. It will take probably 2-3 years just to get your tree to this size but once it reaches this size, you can easily maintain it at that size and it should be productive because of its disease resistance.

At the size stated above, you should reasonably be able to expect about 1-10 fruit annually with probably 5 Fruit being a realistic average in year to year production. Sweet Tart has been reported as being alternate bearing so you may get few to zero fruit after a good year.

It is easy to stick a mango tree in a pot and call it good but if you want to maximize growth, have a healthier tree and start harvesting mangos sooner rather than later, I would recommend you root prune your tree and ensure you use a good quality soil that is fast draining.

I can’t emphasize enough how important it is for the health of your tree(especially when potted) to have a dense, heavily branched root structure that will anchor it better in the soil and to help your tree uptake more nutrients and water.

I could type a lot more info about this but Dr. Whitcombs video will save me a lot of typing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkDLSPWZd0

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
Here is more info on tree roots. This article talks about facts and common fallacies regarding tree roots.

http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1989-49-4-tree-roots-facts-and-fallacies.pdf

Simon

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 06:42:14 AM »
I went to the local LA tropical fruit nurseries and they did not have any mango varieties i was interested in. Now I'm sold on getting a sweet tart mango tree. What root stock is recommended for a container tree in coastal southern California/LA zone 10b?

Is there any place I can purchase a sweet tart mango tree locally in Southern California?

If I can't purchase it locally is there a reputable site online that can ship it to me at a reasonable price?  I see top tropicals has it but shipping to California is expressive and there is a minimum purchase order that will be hard for me to meet. I did not see it on Plantogram.com

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
Try Jim Barrett's nursery. I've ordered several trees online, so far Jim Barrett's is the one I really like for their customer service and tree size. You can find them on facebook under Barrett's Tree Nursery. They are located in Venus, Florida. Here is my Sweet Tart from them, arrived 4 days ago.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
I have been asked by multiple members if I had any ST trees grafted onto CA rootstock so I’m considering selling a few trees but I can’t ship them.

Sweet Tart is one of those more vigorous varieties that performs ok on Florida Turpentine rootstock, especially if you Want to keep it relatively small in a container.

Kent is a great rootstock but I recommend forum members to plant as many different varieties as possible because everyone’s yard and soil conditions are different so by planting with a greater genetic diversity, you will have a better chance of finding a particular seedling that performs better at your specific location.

Simon

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
Simon, I'm interested in more details if you are willing to sell a grafted sweet tart mango tree.  I sent you a private message.

Vvvvvvv

• Fountain Valley CA
    • View Profile
Help me decide on a mango variety to add to the yard!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 03:51:16 AM »
Hi Simon,

What would be your top recommendation for growing 1 mango variety? Can they be pruned to stay compact?

Do you have experience with growing mangosteen in our region?

gychang

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 06:36:44 PM »
Here is more info on tree roots. This article talks about facts and common fallacies regarding tree roots.

http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1989-49-4-tree-roots-facts-and-fallacies.pdf

Simon

Thanks for this article!

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »
I'm also in Southern California, Zone 10b, so thanks for the post since you asked all the questions I needed answers to!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 11:53:55 PM »
Hi Simon,

What would be your top recommendation for growing 1 mango variety? Can they be pruned to stay compact?

Do you have experience with growing mangosteen in our region?

I have some experience killing mangosteen trees in our region. I did a lot of research growing mangosteen in our climate and realized that I would need a greenhouse, heated ideally, and also control the humidity. If I had a lot of time and money, I think it would be possible but if I had a lot of time and money, many things would be possible. I killed a couple trees and decided I didn’t want to put the effort into it.

A single mango variety, that’s a tough question. The person would have to try many different varieties of Mangos to find out what flavor profile they like and then select a variety that matches that flavor profile and is productive at their location.

Sweet Tart is currently my favorite variety because of the flavor, excellent growth pattern and ability to produce under high disease environments. Sweet Tarts grown in SoCal can be picked mature green with slight blush and can be shipped extremely well. Sweet Tarts also ripen over an extended period of time and even when wrinkly outside, the inside can be delicious.

My favorite thing about Sweet Tart is that you can dial in the sweetness level, if grown properly, by eating the fruit at different stages of ripeness. Eat it in the firm stage and the Tartness is more sharp, eat it fully ripe and the Tart is just noticeable and there is an overwhelmingly delicious amount of sweetness. Eat it in between and there is a perfect level of sweetness that is balanced with just the right amount of acidity.

Simon

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 01:12:27 AM »
My vote would be Pickering - my tree is about 5 years old, this is it’s first year in the ground - it’s about 6 feet tall and it held 52 mangos this year - i started harvesting beginning of May - still have 30 + on tree-  No issues with diseases so far.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk