Author Topic: It's not a Maha Chanok!  (Read 8624 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
It's not a Maha Chanok!
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
I have confirmed that the one gallon mango tree I purchased on Ebay two Aprils ago is NOT a Maha Chanok.  It set fruit last year but didnt hold any.  This year it held about ten till they reached this size then split! I know Cookie Monster had money on them being a Nam Doc Mai, I believe he is completely correct! 

Beware of GT3000 on Ebay from Thailand.  I attempted to work it out with him and he claims it is a Maha Chanok.  The tree cost me $80 with shipping!!

I did get a Maha from Excalibur right after this one was purchased, it was known then as a green eating "Mahachanole" which has been confirmed to be a genuine Maha Chanok based on original import documentation (and fruit of course).

I hope this information saves someone money!!

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: It's not a Maha Chanok!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
I believe we're all done with this guy.  Good to know though.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
hehe look on the bright side -- you now have a new spot to plant a new tree in once you yank that one out of the ground! Maybe a 2nd lemon zest to give the first one some company... :-)

cookie monster bought a golden queen from him. curious to see if it's really a golden queen. So far it doesn't look like a nam doc mai at least.
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
cookie monster bought a golden queen from him. Curious to see if it's really a golden queen.

Me too.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
hehe look on the bright side -- you now have a new spot to plant a new tree in once you yank that one out of the ground! Maybe a 2nd lemon zest to give the first one some company... :-)

cookie monster bought a golden queen from him. curious to see if it's really a golden queen. So far it doesn't look like a nam doc mai at least.

Its funny you say that.. I have circled the bastard about fifty times with the shovel already! It has another set of fruit on it that set later and may not split (maybe!), first sign of split my neighbors get new scenery!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA

As of late, I've been circling my Dot with the shovel and a nice big 3g angie sitting off to one side. I almost did it... but my wife was there to stop me. (She loves the Dot.) So many tough decisions ...

Its funny you say that.. I have circled the bastard about fifty times with the shovel already! It has another set of fruit on it that set later and may not split (maybe!), first sign of split my neighbors get new scenery!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:57:12 PM by Cookie Monster »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA

As of late, I've been circling my Dot with the shovel and a nice big 3g angie sitting off to one side. I almost did it... but my wife was there to stop me. (She loves the Dot.) So many tough decisions ...

I have a decent sized three gallon Francis Hargrave.. Angie's are way off from in ground status! I tried a Hargrave at Lara last summer that I thought was pretty good..

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
I have a decent sized three gallon Francis Hargrave.. Angie's are way off from in ground status! I tried a Hargrave at Lara last summer that I thought was pretty good..

It's been an hour since your post, you may have already dug it out and planted the FH in its place. Please save that space for a J-12!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »

It's been an hour since your post, you may have already dug it out and planted the FH in its place. Please save that space for a J-12!

Alright! Then my wife's Peach gets that new fungal disease "Peachy Die-off" from Sri-Lanka in early summer.. I already started trying to save it with RoundUp injections!  ;)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
There is a relative of the Mahachanok called the "Maha cha - split".  Do you have this variety?    ;) 

My sympathies on not getting the correct tree.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 08:27:51 PM »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Alexi

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
Here is an honest ebay seller selling Okrung mango plants
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Okrung-Mango-Mangifera-indica-Tropical-fruit-tree-organic-/271058711739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c5bb4bb

Those don't look like Okrung that grow at my house.  Mine are never that yellow and mine do not have  beaks.  I don't think they are Nam Docs either, actually.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
PJ...circling with the shovel?  What am I missing?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
PJ...circling with the shovel?  What am I missing?

Just literally walking around the tree with shovel in hand contemplating a removal!

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
I have confirmed that the one gallon mango tree I purchased on Ebay two Aprils ago is NOT a Maha Chanok.  It set fruit last year but didnt hold any.  This year it held about ten till they reached this size then split! I know Cookie Monster had money on them being a Nam Doc Mai, I believe he is completely correct! 

Beware of GT3000 on Ebay from Thailand.  I attempted to work it out with him and he claims it is a Maha Chanok.  The tree cost me $80 with shipping!!

I did get a Maha from Excalibur right after this one was purchased, it was known then as a green eating "Mahachanole" which has been confirmed to be a genuine Maha Chanok based on original import documentation (and fruit of course).

I hope this information saves someone money!!

I can confirm you Patrick. Even the phytosanitary certicicate is for "fake plants" he uses and not for the shipped plants!
Mike

natsgarden123

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »

Alright! Then my wife's Peach gets that new fungal disease "Peachy Die-off" from Sri-Lanka in early summer.. I already started trying to save it with RoundUp injections!  ;)

You aren't happy with the peach tree? 

Sorry that you didn't get what you wanted- On the good side,  there are so many new varieties coming out- now you may have a new spot.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
Patrick,

I'm surprised you never tested the scent of the foliage of your unidentified mango tree.

I bet it doesn't have that sweet parsnip smell that maha has.

sorry to hear you tried to work it out with the seller, and still got the "garden of delights" treatment.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
Patrick,

I'm surprised you never tested the scent of the foliage of your unidentified mango tree.

sorry to hear you tried to work it out with the seller, and still got the "garden of delights" treatment.

Not defending the seller on eBay, but it's possible he in turn boughjt it from soemone else, who also had it mislabeled.  So he might very well believe it's the real article. I think you can see from this thread that this is quite common in Thailand.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
HAHAHAHAH

Patrick,

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
Patrick,

Not defending the seller on eBay, but it's possible he in turn boughjt it from soemone else, who also had it mislabeled.  So he might very well believe it's the real article. I think you can see from this thread that this is quite common in Thailand.

I had the same thoughts.. Only problem is I ended up with the wrong tree!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Patrick,

I had the same thoughts.. Only problem is I ended up with the wrong tree!

Sorry Patrick that you ended up with wrong tree. I think you can see thought that if you had gone in person to Chatuchak market and bought it there and carefully brought it back you could have also ended up with wrong tree. Probably not a consolation, but people need to realize that  labeling in Thailand, and labeling by eBay sellers, is not the most reliable.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
If you want a real Thai mango cultivar you cant get locally, you need to get the material from a research station or at the very least go and watch a reputable grower remove scions from his tree and watch him graft them, then lock them in a steel box, so noone does the switcheroo on you. Else you'll get burned.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
While I have sold hundreds of items on ebay and bought many items, I have also been burned buying items (not plants)...bottom line, dealing with ebay = caveat emptor.
- Rob