Author Topic: What are the best-tasting banana varieties for fresh eating?  (Read 14704 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
What are the best-tasting banana varieties for fresh eating?
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:23:26 AM »
A friend of mine is going to Going Bananas this weekend to pick up some banana plants. I'd like to know which varieties of banana are considered the best tasting for fresh eating. I hear good things about Kru and dwarf Cavendish.

I already have a manzano and a Hua Moa, by the way...

Any info would be appreciated.

Jaime
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:29:56 AM by jez251 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best-tasting banana varieties for fresh eating?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:50:35 AM »
Dwarf Red
Pisang Raja
Kandrian
Raja Puri
KM-5
Namwa

Nothing special about Kru.  Dwarf Cavendish is just an average banana,  far to many other better varieties out there.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »
i liked icecream!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:57:36 AM »
i liked icecream!

I do too, i am not sure if they are selling it.
- Rob

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:41 AM »
I hope it tastes good. I had mine in a tough spot in competition with roots from other trees and it never held fruit, unlike the much tougher dwarf ducasse. I moved a sucker to a better spot about 4 months ago and the plant is about 15ft tall and the base is thicker than me. I hope its good because it needs to be with a scary growth rate like that.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:57:11 AM »
Any of the FHIAs are good and very disease resistant. Rajapuri and namwa are extremely drought tolerant I barely watered them during the dry season and they did great.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:40:15 AM »
i liked icecream!

If you ask they may have some.

I like the tall red bananas, Fhia 1, 2, and 17, mysore, namwah, dwarf Brazilian, saba is nice also when real ripe, Raja Puri, and Pisang Raja.  A home grown dwarf cavendish is way better than store bought but there are way better kinds out there.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
Tu'u gia are my favorite
next to Silk fig

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
i liked icecream!

They have a tent at Fairchild plant sales and usually have ice cream.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
They had ice cream as of a few weeks ago when I was there. Did not get to taste it though.  Waiting to try Raja Puri that I got from Excalibur (next year hopefully) but got to try some gold finger which I liked (brought one home), mysore also liked (ditto), praying hands was good in an interesting way, but probably better as a cooking banana. But she said my Raja Puri was the best flavor wise of the ones I had tried and have currently at home in her opinion, so can't wait to try that one too. Super nice people, super cool place. And their lychee trees are loaded.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
I love Pisang Raja, as well as many others that have been suggested.

One thing I'll say about Dwarf Cavendish is that if you plan to neglect your banana plants, DC will often give you decent fruit anyway. It can even handle some shade. I'm basing this  on a stand of them in an empty lot in my neighborhood.

Rob, now that I've been enticed by KM-5, would you happen to know of a nearby nursery that sells it?   8)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
I'm curios if anyone grows Gros Michel in Florida.  It's our staple here, way better than dwarf cavendish.
Peter

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
I'm curios if anyone grows Gros Michel in Florida.  It's our staple here, way better than dwarf cavendish.
Peter

Yes, its grown here and i agree, better than dwarf Cavendish for those wanting a "grocery store type" banana.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »

One thing I'll say about Dwarf Cavendish is that if you plan to neglect your banana plants, DC will often give you decent fruit anyway. It can even handle some shade. I'm basing this  on a stand of them in an empty lot in my neighborhood.

Rob, now that I've been enticed by KM-5, would you happen to know of a nearby nursery that sells it?   8)

Only place i have seen it is going bananas.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »
curious about taste reports of Lacatan and Misi Luki if anyone has tried them.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »

Only place i have seen it is going bananas.

Going Bananas is scheduled to be at the Mounts Spring Plant Sale tomorrow and Sunday. mangomandan, they've been known to reserve & bring special requests with them to shows. If you get a hold of them today and they have it available, you might be able to acquire it at Mounts (right by PBI).

Beni

• Indonesia Rare Fruit
  • Ngabang kabupaten Landak West Borneo
    • West Borneo, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • beni_prasya@yahoo.co.id
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »
Pisang raja is the best one...my favorit banana. ;D
Thanks and Regard
Beni Java Fruit

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
Thanks, Rob and Mangorific.

I'll give that a try. I was planning to check out the sale regardless.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
Thanks, Rob and Mangorific.

I'll give that a try. I was planning to check out the sale regardless.

Dan - if you call going bananas, please let us know what they say.
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
I called too late to do a special order.

But Katie Chafin told me that they do not have any KM-5 plants available at this time.

She also said that they mostly bring the more common varieties to the sale, as these are more popular with buyers.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:04:24 PM by mangomandan »

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
Great thread! The answer to this is so subjective... everybody likes a different taste. I prefer banana varieties that are not too banana-y in taste, if you know what I mean. I'm interested to see what people add to this thread, because I have my eye out for varieties that have a bit of a different taste.

I'm not growing any plantain yet, but I am considering adding it to the yard. For the time being, in terms of fresh-eating bananas, I have NamWah ( which I agree is a vigorous grower even in drought) and I personally find them very attractive. I also have multiple Cavendish, simply because they were cheap and easy to get locally. I am planning  to pick up an Ice Cream sometime in the next few months, in time for the rainy season. But while I'm on the hunt, it would be nice to get something with a really unusual taste or presentation, that still makes for a decent source of food. I want something that is not so strongly reminiscent of Cavendish-style flavor.

I'm thrilled to see several of my current plants now pushing up strong viable suckers! During the rainy season I will replant them... but I have yet to decide just where!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Great thread! The answer to this is so subjective... everybody likes a different taste. I prefer banana varieties that are not too banana-y in taste, if you know what I mean. I'm interested to see what people add to this thread, because I have my eye out for varieties that have a bit of a different taste.

I'm not growing any plantain yet, but I am considering adding it to the yard. For the time being, in terms of fresh-eating bananas, I have NamWah ( which I agree is a vigorous grower even in drought) and I personally find them very attractive. I also have multiple Cavendish, simply because they were cheap and easy to get locally. I am planning  to pick up an Ice Cream sometime in the next few months, in time for the rainy season. But while I'm on the hunt, it would be nice to get something with a really unusual taste or presentation, that still makes for a decent source of food. I want something that is not so strongly reminiscent of Cavendish-style flavor.

I'm thrilled to see several of my current plants now pushing up strong viable suckers! During the rainy season I will replant them... but I have yet to decide just where!

All of the varieties I listed would fit your "requirements".  Not to say that you will like all of them, as you said, taste is subjective, however they are all a distinct non-cavendish type flavor.

Good luck!
- Rob

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I will go with Pisang Raja and Raja Puri as they seem to show up in a lot of favorite lists...

Thanks again,
Jaime

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »

All of the varieties I listed would fit your "requirements".  Not to say that you will like all of them, as you said, taste is subjective, however they are all a distinct non-cavendish type flavor.

Good luck!

Great - thank you! I looked into Raja Puri today, and it looks like it would be perfect for me! Supposedly, it has a bit of a pineapple flavor, huge leaves (and I think wide banana leaves are gorgeous), and requires very little maintenance. Perfect! I will be keeping my eye on it to find a good opportunity to pick one up. I don't know if anyone in Homestead carries them though, or if I'll need to order from Top Tropicals when they get some in. I'm not too picky about taste, as long as it will taste different from the ones I already have.

While we're on the subject, can anybody explain the flavor and any strong positives or negatives to Hua Moa or Manzano?

I am planning to visit Pine Island Nursery for the first time in the next few months, and they offer both varieties, but I'm not sure if they are worth me spending extra for, given that I already have two cultivars, and will be adding Ice Cream/Blue Java and Raja Puri. I'm not obsessed with bananas for the eating, but I do love how they look for the landscaping part, and the fruit is just a great side effect!

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »

Good luck!

Great - thank you! I looked into Raja Puri today, and it looks like it would be perfect for me! Supposedly, it has a bit of a pineapple flavor, huge leaves (and I think wide banana leaves are gorgeous), and requires very little maintenance. Perfect! I will be keeping my eye on it to find a good opportunity to pick one up. I don't know if anyone in Homestead carries them though, or if I'll need to order from Top Tropicals when they get some in. I'm not too picky about taste, as long as it will taste different from the ones I already have.

While we're on the subject, can anybody explain the flavor and any strong positives or negatives to Hua Moa or Manzano?

I am planning to visit Pine Island Nursery for the first time in the next few months, and they offer both varieties, but I'm not sure if they are worth me spending extra for, given that I already have two cultivars, and will be adding Ice Cream/Blue Java and Raja Puri. I'm not obsessed with bananas for the eating, but I do love how they look for the landscaping part, and the fruit is just a great side effect!

try going bananas they also have ripe fruit to taste/buy.