Author Topic: Jaboticaba rootstocks???  (Read 1322 times)

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba rootstocks???
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
I am looking for information on what type of seeds i should be looking for. I live in Canada zone 9a(but a very cool and wet 9a) i have a couple dozen red hybrids but have been told that they wont work for grafting. Id love to start creating some multigrafted trees with a variety of cultivars, what rootstock would you recommend? From what i have seen most people are using sabara?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Cheers

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba rootstocks???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Yes, from what I have seen Sabara is the most common rootstock used. I don't know that the red hybrid is bad rootstock, I just know that Sabara is more commonly used because it is a more tolerant and cheaper rootstock.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
I am looking for information on what type of seeds i should be looking for. I live in Canada zone 9a(but a very cool and wet 9a) i have a couple dozen red hybrids but have been told that they wont work for grafting. Id love to start creating some multigrafted trees with a variety of cultivars, what rootstock would you recommend? From what i have seen most people are using sabara?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Cheers
Wow I didn't know it could get to zone 9 in Canada?!
Most people use Sabara as a rootstock but I don't see why you couldn't use another type.

dadloring

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies, will try and source some sabara seeds and when i order in scions will experiment on a few reds.

Yes im on Vancouver island on the west coast, most areas are zone 7-8 but the are a few areas on the southern island that are zone 9   :D

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
The only one I believe be worst one to use would be Plinia Pitrantha Branca because it like low HP but may benefit if Plinia Pitrantha Branca if it was grafted onto a different rootstock

Journey149

• Us, Florida, Largo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »
I tried too grow Jaboticaba and it  died, it still sits in my back yard dried up, don't know what i did to it.  I don't think i will try it again that was a costly mistake.

dadloring

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
Ouch that sucks  :( i unfortunately cant get trees in Canada so have to go the slow route(by seed). That being said its a WAY cheaper option at only $1.50/seed and $5-10/scion

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
Apparently of the varieties we commonly have, Sabara does better tolerating less than ideal PH and salinity. It also is less likely to develop micronutrient issues or so I have read. Which varieties graft well to Sabara? We probably need to talk to Adam at flyingfox and/or do a search of agricultural research into jaboticabas in Brazil etc..

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:11:12 PM »
https://youtu.be/R3gv0ZISuME Adams YouTube channel

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies, will try and source some sabara seeds and when i order in scions will experiment on a few reds.

Yes im on Vancouver island on the west coast, most areas are zone 7-8 but the are a few areas on the southern island that are zone 9   :D

A little off topic, but I'm curious -- is there a map of such microclimates / zones in BC?  The Canadian map I found wasn't very detailed.

dadloring

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »