Author Topic: Recommend me a great tasting dwarf Mango tree.  (Read 4740 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Recommend me a great tasting dwarf Mango tree.
« on: August 30, 2020, 06:42:01 PM »
Hey Guys,
My Meyer Lemon tree is going bye bye and I am thinking about replacing it with a Mango tree. I only have about 15ft of diameter to play with. Anyone have a good suggestion that is available at nurseries in South Florida? Would like a late bloomer.
FYI...I already have a Velencia Pride, Carrie and a Glenn. Maybe a Keitt that I can keep pruned?
Thanks

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a great tasting dwarf Mango tree.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:01:50 PM »
Mallika, ndm, carrie, cogshall....are all condo mangoes so they stay pretty short. Lots of people recommend pickering.

Man goes

• WEST PALM BEACH, 33415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 07:36:38 PM »
M-4 is late season and way better than Keitt

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:06:56 PM »
Mallika, ndm, carrie, cogshall....are all condo mangoes so they stay pretty short. Lots of people recommend pickering.

To start with, forget the term "condo mango" as it was an abused term from years ago that means nothing and some trees that were coined as such were actually vigorous growers.  Better to just say "compact" growth hsbit.

With that being said, Mallika is not a compact grower.  It is actually moderately vigorous with a spreading habit.
- Rob

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 01:50:49 AM »
I looked up different varieties and I ordered a Rosigold from Logee's.  While no one listed it as best tasting, I did read a lot of good comments on the flavor.  But, the thing I noted is that a lot of the smaller mangoes had some drawbacks when I looked into it.  Rosigold seemed to be a heavy producer and stays very small.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:21:10 AM »
Glad to see this topic getting touched upon...

I have two mangos, both chosen because they were touted as dwarf or semi-dwarf trees, so I figured I could put them into 7- or 10-gallon pots here in Zone 9b and then keep them pruned to about 6- to 8-feet tall.

What I chose were the cultivars 'Irwin' and 'Ice Cream' and now I am wondering if I chose well for how I am intending to treat them.  Should they bear fruit for me if kept 6- to 8-feet tall?

I also chose these because the two together stretch our the bearng season for me, i.e., June-July & May-July.  I really don't know what they are going to taste like but decided to take a chance based on their expected size. After all a home-grown & fresh-picked mango is better than a shipped-in, grocery store option.

Now, all that having been said, I'd be willing to try a third mango cultivar that is considered to be a compact tree.  Maybe something with a contrasting flavor from the two that I have already.

Will welcome any comments and suggestions.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:23:42 AM by Epicatt2 »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 07:59:49 AM »
   A lot of people like Honey Kiss as a later mango that is compact and productive. It is supposed to be a Keitt seedling with smaller better fruit but not quite as late.
I don't have personal experience with that mango yet but I plan on planting one. It is popular enough that trees are hard to find near me or I would have one already. A friend has grafted one for me so I will have one to plant soon.
  I really like Little Gem. It stays bushy and compact. I planted a 3 gal tree in 2017,the first year it was available. It held 11 fruit the next year and has produced about 100 fruit total since planting. If not thinned the fruit average about 10-12 ounces, but the seeds are very small so there is still a lot of flesh on a smaller fruit. If thinned to one per bloom spike you will get less fruit but they will average a pound. Largest one this year was 21.6 ounces or 1.35 pounds.  More productive even than Pickering and starts when Pickering's season is done.  People that like Julie or Carrie or Graham will probably love Little Gem. When well ripened I think it is better balanced than those three mangoes. (to which it is related)
 Fruit is spotless at my location even at the very end of the season with no spraying. Best quality is when fruit comes off at a touch and then finished off the tree on a counter for a week. I experimented with a fruit that came easily off the tree and went straight into the fridge for TWO WEEKS, it ripened well despite some shriveling. Most mangoes will develop a spoiled off flavor long before that. I start picking about the beginning of August and it will hold fruit even in an early season like this until the first week of September in my location. If I can eat the last one 2 weeks later that means I can be eating Little Gem until mid September....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:05:33 AM by TonyinCC »

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
NDM#4, Pickering, Julie, Dwarf Hawaiian have grown slow and compact for me. Carrie and Neelam have grown horizontal than vertically up but they are not slow growers and in no time they have formed a 10-12ft wide bush,  8ft tall without much pruning from my side. Similarly if you like Indian mango flavors then Amrapali and Jehangir have grown slow for me with short internodes. Imam pasand and Sonpari are not slow growers nor are they horizontal growers, their branches are pretty upright at least the ones i grow. Mallika is not a horizontal grower, it shoots quite long vertical shoots but good thing is that it has distinct flush times so it is not flushing all the time and bears heavy fruits which kind of weigh the branches down and naturally make the branches horizontally trained.

My Rosigold was not a compact grower, and the trees i have seen seem to grow vertically but have less vigorous growth. Cogshall seems to have short internodes and dense branching so yes it can be kept compact. I had to topwork mine as there are better tasting mangoes and i had limited space. 

Honey Kiss has grown slow as well. Less frequent flushes compared to Super Julie or Peach Cobbler or Orange sherbet that i see flushing all the time, Honey Kiss flushes 2-3 times a tear for me hence it seems it is growing slow but this may change as the tree ages. Little gem i have seen growing at two different home garden, Coral springs and next at Cape Coral in TonyinCC's garden , both trees looked compact and bushy, not growing sideways but bushy like a drumstick.

If you have 15ft diameter to play with, then you can fit pretty much get any tree that is not extremely vigorous grower and train to keep it compact.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 01:57:21 PM »
If you want a smaller/slow growing tree that is a good producer, disease resistant, and makes excellent mangoes, Pickering is probably your best bet.

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 02:21:10 PM »
Roblack, thanx for the suggestion.

And whilel Pickering looks good I would really like something that's later season, i.e., into Aug., Sept & Oct.

The two mango cultivars that I now have ripen May thru July.  Don't want to duplicate that May thru July season if at all possible.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 02:22:56 PM »
gamble with m4 then. its really good. hard to say how it will grow with time. invest in a good chainsaw.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 03:32:36 PM »
If you want a smaller/slow growing tree that is a good producer, disease resistant, and makes excellent mangoes, Pickering is probably your best bet.

I agree, of the really slow growers I like it the best overall

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »

I agree, of the really slow growers I like it the best overall

Out of the many Zill varieties I have and Glenn which includes fruiting Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet, Pickering happens to be my wife's favorite.  I have to agree, it checks all the blocks.  I got a few that had a strong coconut flavor.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
Thanks guys,
Based on the consensus, I just went and bought a Pickering.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
Roblack, thanx for the suggestion.

And whilel Pickering looks good I would really like something that's later season, i.e., into Aug., Sept & Oct.

The two mango cultivars that I now have ripen May thru July.  Don't want to duplicate that May thru July season if at all possible.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Beverly is a later season variety that I've heard can be kept to a manageable size, and a reliable producer.  I believe I read it can get the rots though, but you could always start with it and graft M4 on to it as others have suggested and hedge your bets.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 09:20:55 PM »
Thanks guys,
Based on the consensus, I just went and bought a Pickering.
You won't be disappointed!
John

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 09:23:15 PM »
FLMikey, hey thanx for the suggestion for 'Beverly' as a late-season mango.  I checked it out and it looks like it will fill the bill nicely.  Was able to purchase one online just now. 

Anyway, with these three cultivars of mango that I'll have that should ideally cover May thru Oct. for ripening times.  I can deal with that.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==
PS - Thanx also to those of you who suggested the Zill 'M-4'. It looked very promising, too, but there were none available to be had anywhere I looked.
==
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:25:39 PM by Epicatt2 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »
I looked up different varieties and I ordered a Rosigold from Logee's.  While no one listed it as best tasting, I did read a lot of good comments on the flavor.  But, the thing I noted is that a lot of the smaller mangoes had some drawbacks when I looked into it.  Rosigold seemed to be a heavy producer and stays very small.
Rosigold is very precocious. As far as dwarf trees Har stated that there are only two true dwarf trees Julie and Dwarf Hawaiian. I would imagine Julie would do well in your area Scottsdale, AZ. Julie is top-tier in my book but I have my biases :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:46:27 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry