Author Topic: Key Lime Question  (Read 1168 times)

All07g

• Clermont, FL
    • View Profile
Key Lime Question
« on: August 13, 2019, 06:58:21 PM »
Transplanted my key lime tree from a pot, where it had produced fruit previously. It is now planted in my backyard. It’s been planted for just over 12 months and no fruit yet. I fertilized and treated with insecticide due to a minor psyllid issue. Can anyone tell me if my tree is preparing to flower/bear fruit or still has an insect issue? I can’t tell if what I see in these photos are eaten leaves or buds. Thanks.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Key Lime Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »
It appears to be small leaves that are getting ready to flush, now would be an ideal time to fertilize the tree for a strong flush.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
What is the discoloration on the tree? This is not the appearance of a healthy tree. Did the tree get stressed for water recently? Did you check for honeydew? I think your tree might have a fungus problem and an insect problem. Can you post good closeup pics?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
This could also bud mite infestation. Bud mite is usually associated with lemon but they also attack other citrus. Usually not fatal to the tree they will cause blossom drop and fruit yeild losses. A good soap spray will usually control them. Neem oil also will work. Do not use neem oil in the heat of summer. What were the details of your psyllid incident?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:16:00 PM by Bomand »

All07g

• Clermont, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:43:51 PM »
I don’t know the specifics of the psyllids. I just googled them and compared photos. I bought some insecticide recommended online. I read that they can communicate Citrus Greening Disease, which worries me. I’ll post more photos tomorrow when the sun is back out. I live in Central Florida, we’ve been hammered with rain lately. I’m not sure if overwatering could be an issue. It hasn’t been in the past.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »
As you live in central Florida, the chance of your tree getting greening disease is only a matter of time.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
You should by all means contacted your County Agent when you found what you thought were psyllids. As Millet stated, it just a matter of time. Still not too late to call your County Agent and get a professional to check your tree out. If you have hlb they will handle it.

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
Looks like they tried and something killed the buds black sooty mold