Author Topic: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?  (Read 78259 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2016, 02:06:46 AM »

Enjoyed watching these bros for three days only to realize they were eating leaves off my bael seedlings. I dont know what they are but they do look like a pokemon.
Swallowtail caterpillar? They like to eat leaves of plants in citrus family, like bael.
Oscar

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »

Enjoyed watching these bros for three days only to realize they were eating leaves off my bael seedlings. I dont know what they are but they do look like a pokemon.
Swallowtail caterpillar? They like to eat leaves of plants in citrus family, like bael.

Ah! Thanks. Do they also eat guava leaves? I had problem with my guava leaves being eaten but couldn't find the culprit. This was during summer. However it stopped when monsoon arrived.
-Nakul

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
when i see swallowtail larvae i like to gently pester them by tapping them on the head, the result is cool, they evert their osmeterium...(which produces an interesting odor)

http://youtu.be/XUt3T5dYHgE
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
first pygmy rattler I've seen on my farm...it wasn't aggressive when prodded at it with a stick, so I let it go.  I bet there are dozens of them out here, but they are seldom seen, thankfully.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Nice work leaving the pygmy alone. As long as you don't step on or corner one, they normally aren't much of a threat.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »
Hand pollinating one night I came across a lizard and a juvenile red rat snake squaring off in my Fernandez custard apple tree. By the time I got back with my phone the lizard had lost badly.

I also found this little baby kingsnake in one of my mangos a few months the back.

Dom

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
This guys a champ, very rare color morph of the common brown anole. He lives on this pot, so cool.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:15 AM »

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »

So jealous of all these guys who regularly find snakes! Those are my second favorite type of animal.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
This guys a champ, very rare color morph of the common brown anole. He lives on this pot, so cool.

lol, that is one of the most bad ass brown anoles I've seen! I'd be tempted to catch him, and stud him out...I bet he worth like $50.  (he got that dinosaur crest too)

thanks for sharing.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
Lol, I used to breed rare geckos in high school, madagacar leaf tails. This guy would be easy to breed out. He's a champ.
I've been watching him for 2 yrs, everytime I see him I think about it. May be this will be my motivation.  ;D.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »
Lol, I used to breed rare geckos in high school, madagacar leaf tails. This guy would be easy to breed out. He's a champ.
I've been watching him for 2 yrs, everytime I see him I think about it. May be this will be my motivation.  ;D.

You should do it! If you can get hatchlings that look like him I'm sure many people, myself included, would be eager to purchase one, especially if you sold cheaper than big commercial breeders.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »

i would feel bad if something happened to him in captivity...but put me on the list for babies if u get some..lol..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:29:23 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »

Funny you have one too, i have 2 red anole in my yard. I wonder whats causes them to go red, maybe the vibes of the tropical fruit trees  ;)

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

i would feel bad if something happened to him in captivity...but put me on the list for babies if u get some..lol..

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »

Ditto. If you think you can provide sufficient breeding and care conditions, put me on the list for any red morph babies.

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
My thoughts exactly Adam. If he's still around when I finally buy a house I will be setting up a sick vivarium for him and his harem. They are very easy to keep, although would take multiple generations to breed anywhere close to true. LOL maybe one day ill be trading lizards for trees!!  :P

Thank for the feed back, very funny.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »

Certainly Papilio. Swallowtail caterpillars in Asian almost always ear Citrus. The larvae are impossible to tell, but they certainly all turn into beautiful butterflies. I raise the U.S. ones.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2017, 03:32:37 AM »

I have been having strife with huge grasshoppers and stick insects chewing the foliage of my trees lately.This is the third largest stick insect and is quite colourful.Like the other types it enjoys all Myrtaceae and particularly enjoys guava.One insect can strip lots of foliage if undetected for a few weeks.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »

I have been having strife with huge grasshoppers and stick insects chewing the foliage of my trees lately.This is the third largest stick insect and is quite colourful.Like the other types it enjoys all Myrtaceae and particularly enjoys guava.One insect can strip lots of foliage if undetected for a few weeks.

Reminds me of my phasmid breeding days.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2017, 05:20:32 PM »

It's Eurycnema goliath, Goliath Stick Insect. I get Eurycnema osiris, Darwin Giant Stick Insect, at my place. I've found them on Acacia and Casuarina but I don't know what their preference is here. There's lots of Melaleuca on my block but I only have one very large Guava, never found the stick insects on those.
E. osiris

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
Wow! Some great pictures here. Thanks!

I have a nest of honeybees in a huge tamarind tree.  The nest is about 1 meter across and they swarmed about a month ago. Now I have a box full of bees too.

Also the biggest wasp I've ever met. After poking my finger at it for scale, I read that this tarantula wasp is second only to the bullet ant for the most painful sting. Hummingbirds are frequent visitors too but they don't pose for pictures.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »

When my kids were young, we used to have Australian Walking Sticks as pets.  Can't get them here anymore, for obvious reasons.  But they could clear out our invasive himalayan blackberry brambles like nobody's business! 

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
Being high desert here, we get prairie rattlers.  None have gotten into the greenhouse, but on a cool morning when they are a bit slow, they are easy to photograph.  They keep the mouse population down.  Our dogs, having been to the local "snake-proofing" class, leave them be.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/cassowaries-pining-for-spiky-breakfast-fruit-in-mission-beach/news-story/aa8e0f5d40df1efd4478427957f826  The cassowaries are notable fruit thieves in my area and can even swallow pineapples whole.                                                                         

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk