Author Topic: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?  (Read 77735 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2016, 04:42:22 AM »

RichardN

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
She can be wild...sometimes, lol.  ;D

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
She can be wild...sometimes, lol.  ;D

Hahaha!  The way he's guarding that tree, I'm guessing it's one of those rare Tuna Trees. . .

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
I've got no shortage of wildlife willing to share my fruit with me, or take all of it if they can get away with it. The night shift is dominated by Flying Foxes. They are careless eaters and drop a lot of partly eaten fruit to the ground. Often see the Possums (Northern Brushtails) in the trees but haven't actually caught any in the act of eating fruit. But I doubt they climb high into the trees just to enjoy the view. Dayshift starts with 'armies' of Magpie Geese flying in. They start on what's been dropped to the ground overnight and then fly up and knock some more down. Parrots also come in for their 'fix', the Sulphur-crested White Cockatoos, Northern Rosellas, Collared Lorikeets and Red-winged Parrots. On the ground the Plumed Whistle Ducks pick up 'crumbs' left by the Magpie Geese, they can't handle the bigger lumpy bits. And the Wallabies come in for their share as well.

The Geese get quite aggressive, fight amongst themselves and sometimes have a go at the Wallabies as well.

Caught 'red-handed'

Mum out with bubba in her built-in pram. Guess though you couldn't really call it a perambulator, it's more of a perhopulator.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
Blueberry buddy
-Josh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
He is feeling all of the feels on this one.

-Josh

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »
I've got no shortage of wildlife willing to share my fruit with me, or take all of it if they can get away with it. The night shift is dominated by Flying Foxes. They are careless eaters and drop a lot of partly eaten fruit to the ground. Often see the Possums (Northern Brushtails) in the trees but haven't actually caught any in the act of eating fruit. But I doubt they climb high into the trees just to enjoy the view. Dayshift starts with 'armies' of Magpie Geese flying in. They start on what's been dropped to the ground overnight and then fly up and knock some more down. Parrots also come in for their 'fix', the Sulphur-crested White Cockatoos, Northern Rosellas, Collared Lorikeets and Red-winged Parrots. On the ground the Plumed Whistle Ducks pick up 'crumbs' left by the Magpie Geese, they can't handle the bigger lumpy bits. And the Wallabies come in for their share as well.

The Geese get quite aggressive, fight amongst themselves and sometimes have a go at the Wallabies as well.

Caught 'red-handed'

Mum out with bubba in her built-in pram. Guess though you couldn't really call it a perambulator, it's more of a perhopulator.

Wow!!  As an American, this pic of the wallaby shocked me to see...do you have monkeys there in Australia, too?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
baby banded water snake, chillin in my greenhouse, in a tub of water, with jabos in it.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »

Wow!!  As an American, this pic of the wallaby shocked me to see...do you have monkeys there in Australia, too?

Plenty of the hairless ones, but the hairy ones are only in zoos.  ;)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »
A green frog on my Mangosteen tree!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
Does anyone know what's the best way to 'off' a noisy animal, likely a Gekko under my house?

My house is surrounded by established and growing fruit trees. This attracts a lot of wildlife, which I appreciate, attracting wildlife to me is akin to a life giving paradise/place, as long as the wildlife stays outside.

There's been some kind of animal living under the crawl space of my house for several months now. At night it makes noises which interrupt sleep. At first I thought it was a possum, but I don't think that the noises it makes belong to a possum.

So, yesterday I used all kinds of protection and crawled under my house to the location where the animal noise was coming from, and as suggested, I strategically placed some rat poison pellets hoping to take care of this ongoing problem.

I've completely sealed the crawling space under the house, and it's been months now, yet the animal still sounds quite healthy. Maybe it's found some water source and it sustains itself with insects. Now, if this is the case, I beginning to think that the animal is not a Possum.

Talking about this at work, I was told that it was a Gekko. The person telling me this even imitated the sound the animal makes, and it was remarkably close! So now I'm not sure if rat poison pellets will terminate the gecko, if that's what it is. I've always liked Gekkos, with all their sticky paws abilities and cool reputation, but I've never heard that they could be such a nuisance.

I'm beginning to suspect that the poison pellets will not do the trick since they're meant for a mammal, not a reptile like a Gekko.

Any suggestions on the best way to send this Gekko (?) that's living in the crawl space under my house, on a journey to its next life, will be greatly appreciated.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »
We've got rats in our black sapote tree. Last night I went out and discovered they aren't feral rats, but some quite attractive native species. They are protected, as native rats are fairly rare in the cities here, so I guess there's another bunch of hungry mouths to feed!

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
Does anyone know what's the best way to 'off' a noisy animal, likely a Gekko under my house?

My house is surrounded by established and growing fruit trees. This attracts a lot of wildlife, which I appreciate, attracting wildlife to me is akin to a life giving paradise/place, as long as the wildlife stays outside.

There's been some kind of animal living under the crawl space of my house for several months now. At night it makes noises which interrupt sleep. At first I thought it was a possum, but I don't think that the noises it makes belong to a possum.

So, yesterday I used all kinds of protection and crawled under my house to the location where the animal noise was coming from, and as suggested, I strategically placed some rat poison pellets hoping to take care of this ongoing problem.

I've completely sealed the crawling space under the house, and it's been months now, yet the animal still sounds quite healthy. Maybe it's found some water source and it sustains itself with insects. Now, if this is the case, I beginning to think that the animal is not a Possum.

Talking about this at work, I was told that it was a Gekko. The person telling me this even imitated the sound the animal makes, and it was remarkably close! So now I'm not sure if rat poison pellets will terminate the gecko, if that's what it is. I've always liked Gekkos, with all their sticky paws abilities and cool reputation, but I've never heard that they could be such a nuisance.

I'm beginning to suspect that the poison pellets will not do the trick since they're meant for a mammal, not a reptile like a Gekko.

Any suggestions on the best way to send this Gekko (?) that's living in the crawl space under my house, on a journey to its next life, will be greatly appreciated.

Try this. You need to make sure the gecko can hear you, and then mutter loudly to yourself... "I wish there was some way I could save money on my car insurance." There's a high probability that the gecko will emerge from underneath your house and explain to you that, by switching to Geico, you can save 15% or more on your car insurance. While he's talking, end his life with a quick swipe of a shovel.

* note - this only works if you're not already with Geico.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
Hi BMc, Wow you blow my mind! protected Rats, I cant believe it, here in Florida we have a Billions of them and the best rat is a dead Rat.
If I had an Owl's sleep on my Annona tree's I could have a lot more Fruits, and remember rats can produce 4 to 6 litters a year, and the offspring become fertile in less than three months, and  a pair of Rats can produce a colony of two thousand in a year.
Carlos

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi BMc, Wow you blow my mind! protected Rats, I cant believe it, here in Florida we have a Billions of them and the best rat is a dead Rat.
If I had an Owl's sleep on my Annona tree's I could have a lot more Fruits, and remember rats can produce 4 to 6 litters a year, and the offspring become fertile in less than three months, and  a pair of Rats can produce a colony of two thousand in a year.
Carlos

I lay down some rat poison pellets whenever I see them. After that, I never see one for a while.
Alexi

Stan

« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
Did you know Jackson's Chameleons have naturalized in soucal? . I was sort of amazed to learn that.

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
As for gecko comment my guess is "Tokay gecko"- gecko gecko. Named for the males call,  one of the largest geckos, grey with orange spots. Locally common in south Florida, I've even seen populations as far north as Daytona. up to 1ft in length, great pest control  they love palmetto bugs and roaches. Your dealing with a male that has established territory, you best option is a cat,  be honest. Not much else you can really do, IMO.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
As for gecko comment my guess is "Tokay gecko"- gecko gecko. Named for the males call,  one of the largest geckos, grey with orange spots. Locally common in south Florida, I've even seen populations as far north as Daytona. up to 1ft in length, great pest control  they love palmetto bugs and roaches. Your dealing with a male that has established territory, you best option is a cat,  be honest. Not much else you can really do, IMO.

Weird. I live in broward county and I've never seen those kinds of geckos. I usually see the small pale brown ones at night.
Alexi

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2016, 12:24:09 AM »
The Indonesian house gecko is far more common and wide spread, an accidental introduction, also a prey species for the Tokay.  Tokays are only locally common through out the state. Primarily in areas they have been introduced to intentionally.  (based on this inquiry, I contacted a friend in Ormond by the sea FL, Northern Volusia county, nuts!!!.
 The population is going strong 10yrs + since my discovery, they can handle cold snaps better than soursop! plus the house I speak of has 10+  plus out door cats. So much for that idea.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
Not exactly in my fruit tree but I'm sure he was eying my unripe mangoes

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
Cant beat the bear one but couple of months ago had a 4' green tree snake hidin in me grumichama, couldn't resist and had to drag him out and have a play with it and scare the neighbours a bit. There not poisonous but are very agile little buggers and can give ya a good bite if you stir them up. Cant get photos on here but if some one emails me I can send them through to put up.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 31, 2016, 08:35:49 PM »

Hopefully this works. tree snake out of garden.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 31, 2016, 11:38:35 PM »

By the noise it makes, it sounds like a large gecko. Maybe it's exactly as you're saying and it's a 'Tokay' gecko.

Options on the table for 'correcting' my uninvited Tokay (?) gecko that's living under the crawl space under my house:
1   Watch the 'Caddyshack' movie to get some ideas on getting rid of the gecko, although dynamite is out of the question, not quite there yet
2   Use mouse poison pellets instead of rat pellets, or gecko/lizard poison pellets if they exist
3   Electrocution chamber the heck out of the critter with an electrocution zap/stun gun, the one that shoots out electrified wires. The only problem with this option is that a line of sight is required and the gecko is probably somewhere inside a cavity of a wall.
4   Send the gecko to the gas chamber by putting a termite tarp over the whole house. This is probably the most expensive option of all and the one that I'd like to avoid.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:12:42 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »
Chased him out of my yard into my neighbor's.....he wasn't looking for mango waiting for my dogs

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »

Enjoyed watching these bros for three days only to realize they were eating leaves off my bael seedlings. I dont know what they are but they do look like a pokemon.
-Nakul