Author Topic: Advise on growing Annona Scleroderma  (Read 2674 times)

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
    • Radiant Portraiture Photography
Advise on growing Annona Scleroderma
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:41:22 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm just trying to find out any information on growing this tree.  I got a 5 foot one, but I'm not sure what kind of climate I should have it in.  Right now I have it in a greenhouse, and I live in zone 10B, Los Angeles.   It's such a rare tree and hard to find, I really want to get it growing.  Any information, especially from someone that has successfully grown one would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Advise on growing Annona Scleroderma
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 04:50:11 AM »
I don't want to rain on your parade or diminish your enthusiasm but when I go to the park and see how big they get and try one off the ground I am not motivated to grow one let alone think about one in a greenhouse. They like the seasonal tropics with humid wet summers and the trees are big. The fruit are not as good as soursop.

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
I have one growing and they are a good tree very ornamental. Mine is in semi shade and at 20 years old it is only about 5 meters high. I live in the tropics at an elevation and we get cold nights. I think it will grow in SOCAL if you keep it moist and out of the direct sun. It is from a higher elevation in Guatemala so the temperature there should be OK just not the humidity level or the amount of sun.   The fruit is great the only problem is knowing when to pick it. It will rot on the tree like a cacao pod if left  and if it is picked to early it is no good but picked at the right time and ripened in the shade it is a great fruit.

Good luck with it

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:34:10 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks.  Don't know if the tree will ever make it though.  Lost all it's leaves and has been that way ever since.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:19:57 AM »
I also think it's a great fruit. Mike T you must have tasted one from a terrible tree. And don't think the tree is going to get giant in LA. Not good sign that it defoliated. Probably lack of humidity. Try misting the plant several times a day. Keep it in the shade tell it leafs out again.
Oscar

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:37:20 AM »
The poshte I tried from tropical fruit world was amazing ! I’ve got around 10 seedlings growing from fruit  :)

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:07 AM »
This is one that has interested me as well but I've heard it will be challenging in Florida. Did you start from seed or buy the plant? I tried a few seeds last year without any luck

Has anyone fruited this in the continental us? Haven't read too much about them

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
Hey guys.  Well, I went ahead and bought another one.  This one is supposed to be a 7 gal size, but we'll see. Perhaps being older or taller, it will do better. I'm not giving up on my other one though.  I have it in my greenhouse with, where I have 99 Cent Store aluminum turkey trays filled with water for humidity.  I ended up putting a hole in one and it leaks, which turned out to be a happy accident. The water evaporates from the concrete faster and the tray acts like a reservoir .  Just an idea if anyone wants to use it.  Also, treasureofthetropics has them on etsy.com or their own website if anyone is interested. But I don't know about international shipping.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:13:06 PM by Robnelms »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:01 PM »
Here in south Florida, the soil is suspected to be the main problem--- exactly what about the soil?  we don't know.
Har

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
I have one here in socal. It’s in my greenhouse. Struggled for a few weeks when I had the ventilation messed up and greenhouse overheated into the hundreds. Large cacao’s died and a few seedling avocados. Small cacao’s survived and poshte is leafing  out again.

Good luck. Brad gave me some good advice a while ago - he told me I’m putting too much effort into my greenhouse for very few plants. I’m starting to see his point of view but I’ll try to optimize the greenhouse over fall and winter first before I give up.

Best of luck. Keep me posted. If I fruit it at all I’ll let you know.

Khaled

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
I have one here in socal. It’s in my greenhouse. Struggled for a few weeks when I had the ventilation messed up and greenhouse overheated into the hundreds. Large cacao’s died and a few seedling avocados. Small cacao’s survived and poshte is leafing  out again.

Good luck. Brad gave me some good advice a while ago - he told me I’m putting too much effort into my greenhouse for very few plants. I’m starting to see his point of view but I’ll try to optimize the greenhouse over fall and winter first before I give up.

Best of luck. Keep me posted. If I fruit it at all I’ll let you know.

Khaled
How cold does it get in your greenhouse?  Do you heat it at all?  I don't have an expensive one.  Just one of those plastic cover ones.  Actually, if you could give more detail on how you grow it, I would most appreciate it.  I work in Huntington Beach some weekends.  Maybe I can come and see it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk