Author Topic: Mystery fruit tree in Santa Barbara, CA  (Read 18910 times)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery fruit tree in Santa Barbara, CA
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 09:07:56 AM »
Oscar, he planted seeds all over Santa Barbara, most have not survived due to neglect etc.  However, there are still a number of rather exotic trees around the city thanks to Dr. Franceschi.  It is fun to wander around in the parks collecting seeds of palms and other uncommon plants.  By the way, the literature in the book cited says " This rare drought-resistant species should be planted more because of its edible, apricot-sized fruit, which in flavor equals or surpasses many of the other kinds of tropical fruits grown here."

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »
Oscar, he planted seeds all over Santa Barbara, most have not survived due to neglect etc.  However, there are still a number of rather exotic trees around the city thanks to Dr. Franceschi.  It is fun to wander around in the parks collecting seeds of palms and other uncommon plants.  By the way, the literature in the book cited says " This rare drought-resistant species should be planted more because of its edible, apricot-sized fruit, which in flavor equals or surpasses many of the other kinds of tropical fruits grown here."

Thanks for sharing knowledge on Dr. Franceschi, Franceschi park and some of the early plantings around SB. I'll make a trip there the next time I pass through. Do you happen to know what day the good SB Farmers Market is off hand? Have a nice day.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »

I would have a hard time naming a fruit that I really dislike, except this one.

It's hideous.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »

Thanks for the info. I never heard of Franceschi before. Is he the one by any chance that planted that enormous Moreton Bay fig that is right next to the freeway?
Oscar

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 05:18:32 PM »

It's hideous.

Hello Sergio,
didn't know you have one fruiting... is it the narrow or large leaf type?

I remember to have seen one of these trees on a Botanical garden in Lisbon some time ago... it was a big tree and it should have fruits right now.
Do you know this tree?

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 06:42:16 PM »
The Moreton Bay Fig Tree is believed to be the largest Ficus macrophylla in the US of A. A seaman, visiting Santa Barbara In 1876, presented a seedling of an Australian Moreton Bay Fig tree to a local girl who planted it at 201 State Street.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »
The Moreton Bay Fig Tree is believed to be the largest Ficus macrophylla in the US of A. A seaman, visiting Santa Barbara In 1876, presented a seedling of an Australian Moreton Bay Fig tree to a local girl who planted it at 201 State Street.

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize that tree is so old = 139 years old!
We have some very old trees here planted also around that time in a place called Foster's Garden in Honolulu. Recently renamed Honolulu Botanical Garden. It's right in downtown Honolulu and there are LOTS of massive trees, including some very old tropical fruit trees.
Oscar

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »
It was me who asked for the i.d.  and I am still not convinced this is E. myrcianthes.  I am not kidding when I say that the fruits of this tree here in Santa Barbara are not enjoyable to eat.  And I love all fruits.  I will eat durian, if I can find a good one.

As for the question earlier about the Moreton Bay Fig here in SB: The Moreton Bay Fig Tree is believed to be the largest Ficus macrophylla in the US of A. A seaman, visiting Santa Barbara In 1876, presented a seedling of an Australian Moreton Bay Fig tree to a local girl who planted it at 201 State Street.

So, not planted by Franceschi.

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
Is there a lag time on posts here?  I tried to reply just now and don't see it.

I guess perhaps this is a variety of E. myrcianthes, although I am here to testify that the fruit of this Santa Barbara tree is not enjoyable to eat.  And I will eat any and all kinds of fruits, if they're good----including durian.

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 06:56:21 PM »
In answer to the question of whether it was Franceschi who planted the Moreton Bay Fig tree here in Santa Barbara:

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I swore I read on the original thread on edhat.com, that someone said it was sweet and delicious?

Read the link so u can see I'm not hallucinating
http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=154202

"Can anyone help us ID this interesting fruit? The large tree, currently surrounded by abundant dropped fruit, is on the corner of APS and Moreno. The fruit is not a kumquat, loquat or quince. Skin slightly fuzzy and tart, with same mouthfeel as a plum or nectarine. Fruit is fragrant and sweet, reminiscent of lychee/pear/nectarine? One or two medium sized stones/seeds. Irregular, ovoid fruit."

Oh well, it sounded nice at first, but now you talked me out of it!

Thanks for being honest

Lol

I still think it's most likely E. myrcianthes...
Did u post the first report of the fruit on Edhat? In my quote above?

That description sounded more promising!?

I'm wondering Who wrote that?

It was me who asked for the i.d.  and I am still not convinced this is E. myrcianthes.  I am not kidding when I say that the fruits of this tree here in Santa Barbara are not enjoyable to eat.  And I love all fruits.  I will eat durian, if I can find a good one.

As for the question earlier about the Moreton Bay Fig here in SB: The Moreton Bay Fig Tree is believed to be the largest Ficus macrophylla in the US of A. A seaman, visiting Santa Barbara In 1876, presented a seedling of an Australian Moreton Bay Fig tree to a local girl who planted it at 201 State Street.

So, not planted by Franceschi.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:04:09 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »
Is there a lag time on posts here?  I tried to reply just now and don't see it.

I guess perhaps this is a variety of E. myrcianthes, although I am here to testify that the fruit of this Santa Barbara tree is not enjoyable to eat.  And I will eat any and all kinds of fruits, if they're good----including durian.

Yes there can be a lag time for posting.
Are you reading all the posts? Doesn't seem like it. We've already discussed that there are at least 2 versions of Eugenia myrcianthes. One version of it some people find quite disagreeable. Look at this post: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16300.msg207478#msg207478  Some people and literature also says it has a bad smell, similar to garlic.
What you have has been positively identified = Eugenia myrcianthes.
Oscar

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 07:05:46 PM »
It was not me who posted on Edhat, although it is because of that posting I contacted this group.  As I wrote earlier, our City Arborist misidentified the tree as being Plinia edulis.  Some of the photos are mine, as seen here and on Edhat.  I am the one who used the $100 bill, as it was the only bill I had that didn't look all bedraggled.   So---E. myrcianthes is the correct i.d.?  I guess so.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
It was not me who posted on Edhat, although it is because of that posting I contacted this group.  As I wrote earlier, our City Arborist misidentified the tree as being Plinia edulis.  Some of the photos are mine, as seen here and on Edhat.  I am the one who used the $100 bill, as it was the only bill I had that didn't look all bedraggled.   So---E. myrcianthes is the correct i.d.?  I guess so.

Lol yes, I called it a while ago... ;)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
Well,  DER!  Sorry for the multiple and replicant postings. New here and didn't get to page 2 (face palm squared).  By the way, I have an excellent nose and noted nothing garlicky about this particular tree.

As I posted earlier, if anyone wants seeds, let me know. 

And thank you to one and all for helping solve this mystery.  Narrow-leaved E. myrcianthes it is.  I will now go tell the original Edhat poster.  Thank you everyone.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »

It's no guess. It is correct. I have Plinia edulis trees. It doesn't look anything like that. Your city arborist is way off the mark. If you do a search in this forum for cambuca, the common name of Plinia edulis, you can see photos of the fruits and trees.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
Who's going to be the next contestant on the "what's this Eugenia show?"

That was a good episode!

author=chiwoowa9 link=topic=16300.msg207544#msg207544 date=1434237052]
Well,  DER!  Sorry for the multiple and replicant postings. New here and didn't get to page 2 (face palm squared).  By the way, I have an excellent nose and noted nothing garlicky about this particular tree.

As I posted earlier, if anyone wants seeds, let me know. 

And thank you to one and all for helping solve this mystery.  Narrow-leaved E. myrcianthes it is.  I will now go tell the original Edhat poster.  Thank you everyone.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »
More and, I think, better photos of that mystery tree.  Please forgive me, if you think I'm being obtuse about this.  After looking again at the tree this afternoon and tasting again of its fruit, I think it may be a hybrid of some sort. Look at the fruit shape and bark.  Do these photos help with any better i.d. than E. myrcianthes?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
Those are nice pics!

That is a beautiful E. myrcianthes!

;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
Have you tried eating the fruit at several stages of ripeness?

Fruits hanging from the tree and fruits on the ground?

I'm wondering if they develop a nasty flavor (like some other Eugenias) after they get past their prime, or laid  on the ground for too long?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

chiwoowa9

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 12:12:32 AM »
One friend says he thinks the fruit is okay in taste.  My boyfriend ate one and said it tasted okay at first. Then he said he wouldn't want to try more and that the fruit had "a sort of rotten after  taste."  And he had a fruit that was fully ripe (shaken off the tree).

Also:  I must retract my earlier statement denying any kind of garlicky-ness. I had said there was no such taste or odor.

Much to my surprise, the fruit I carried home today in a plastic container (the lidded kind, in which strawberries are sold) and left inside my daypack on my kitchen table was, an hour later, exuding a strong odor extremely similar to garlic-----right through the container and the daypack. So, yes, there is definitely a garlic-like smell to these particular fruits.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »
thanks for the report on flavor quality.

I was afraid of this!

I really do appreciate your wonderful photos, and honest description.

but for the last time, I will take a sledgehammer to the head of this deceased equine.

it's a Eugenia myrcianthes (aka Hexachlamys edulis, Eugenia eduils), one of several forms...and it is not a hybrid.

One friend says he thinks the fruit is okay in taste.  My boyfriend ate one and said it tasted okay at first. Then he said he wouldn't want to try more and that the fruit had "a sort of rotten after  taste."  And he had a fruit that was fully ripe (shaken off the tree).

Also:  I must retract my earlier statement denying any kind of garlicky-ness. I had said there was no such taste or odor.

Much to my surprise, the fruit I carried home today in a plastic container (the lidded kind, in which strawberries are sold) and left inside my daypack on my kitchen table was, an hour later, exuding a strong odor extremely similar to garlic-----right through the container and the daypack. So, yes, there is definitely a garlic-like smell to these particular fruits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 02:10:48 AM »
I can't think of any other eugenia that smells like garlic. That pretty much nails it down.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »

It's hideous.

Hello Sergio,
didn't know you have one fruiting... is it the narrow or large leaf type?

I remember to have seen one of these trees on a Botanical garden in Lisbon some time ago... it was a big tree and it should have fruits right now.
Do you know this tree?

I'd say mine is a broad leaf type, probably from Helton, although I'm not sure.
It refused to die when I tried to remove it and planted an avocado next to it.
It does not even show the signs of chlorosis that pretty much every other Eugenia shows
with the soil I have...Grrr.

Don't recall noticing this species in the botanical garden. Which one do you mean, exactly?
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
chiwoowa , is that on the street going up to Botanical Garden?Thanks for great pic's by the way ;) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk