Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170781 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #525 on: August 27, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
So far so good. All the 10 seeds I received from Luc earlier this year have been sprouted.
One thing is worrying me a bit though. Half of the seedlings have put out 2 leaves by now.
One of them has green leaves and grows pretty fast, while the other 4 have put out pinkish/reddish leaves with green veins. They seem to grow more slowly. Is this still normal or caused by some sort of deficiency and a cause for concern?
in this specie all new growth is Pink tender leaves, so is fine don't worry 😀
El verde es vida!

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 18, 2019, 03:59:35 PM »
I had mine about 6 years and it grew 5 feet tall. It gets sun 1/2 day.

Flowering now with lots of ants working.

South Florida 10B
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:36:34 PM by FLnative »

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 18, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »

I grafted some Luc’s wood onto one of my achacha’s, after 6 months or so it has decided to flower

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 19, 2019, 02:00:49 AM »
That is very exciting for you guys. Please keep us posted.

Bill

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 19, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
That is very exciting for you guys. Please keep us posted.

Bill

Yes, I'm living vicariously through you guys. I have three that have reached that height and age and nary a flower ... yet.
Keith

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 20, 2019, 03:40:30 AM »
Oscar has your fruit ripened yet? I’m curios to hear what you think of it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:42 AM »
It's Mike T and I am back from outa space. One of my trees is a prodigy flowering after less than 3 years.This season after setting only a few small fruit last year I have eaten a ripe fruit and can report they are sweet and way superior to achacha. My larger and older tree needs to get its ship together and follow suit.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 21, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
It's Mike T and I am back from outa space. One of my trees is a prodigy flowering after less than 3 years.This season after setting only a few small fruit last year I have eaten a ripe fruit and can report they are sweet and way superior to achacha. My larger and older tree needs to get its ship together and follow suit.
Hey Mike we missed you! 😊
El verde es vida!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 21, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
The man , the myth , the living legend returns from his home planet.
Thanks for the deliciousness report.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 21, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »
Raul,
I owe you buddy.

The Mexican I have has fruit with yellower flesh than in than in that classic pic that continues to be used. My 6 year old larger tree has not flowered yet. Soon I will plant a jumbo and hopefully it will be an early bearer.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #535 on: October 22, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »
Oscar has your fruit ripened yet? I’m curios to hear what you think of it.
Yes it ripened. But unfortunately by the time i got to that orchard fruit was already laying couple days on the ground. Tasted good even though fruit was way over ripe. So am guessing will be great at propre ripeness.
Oscar

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 25, 2019, 03:11:29 PM »
I took a close look at my grafted mexican mangosteens for the first time in awhile today and I saw that one of the runts has possibly set a fruit on it. Is it normal for them to try and fruit this time of year?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:16:32 AM by Tetsu0 »

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 26, 2019, 06:27:36 AM »

People keep telling me Luc's Garcinia is tough... well I came back from overseas to greet this. Major dieback, but still alive I guess
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 26, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
I took a close look at my grafted mexican mangosteens for the first time in awhile today and I saw that one of the runts has possibly a set fruit on it. Is it normal for them to try and fruit this time of year?

yes this time they start flowering, however fruit ripens around April - May is congrats
El verde es vida!

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 16, 2019, 02:49:50 AM »
Has anyone in Southern California tried planting it in the ground yet? I'd love to know how it goes!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #540 on: December 16, 2019, 03:06:59 AM »
Mine flowering very heavily now. Let's see if they hold some fruits this time?

Oscar

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #541 on: December 17, 2019, 12:09:26 AM »
Mine flowering very heavily now. Let's see if they hold some fruits this time?

I have a number of seedlings, the fastest growing is in my kitchen window and overall very slow as seedling I think, how long have you had to wait Oscar?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #542 on: December 17, 2019, 01:08:05 AM »
They've fruited 3 years running. First year no fruits, second year only one fruit, this year about 100x more flowers than before. I guess the plants are almost 10 years old now, so they started fruiting when 6-7 years old.
Oscar

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 13, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
Hello All!

First time poster here so apologies if this is the wrong thread.  Please point me to the correct one if I am wrong.

I have 4 x 30-60cm Luc's Garcinia seedlings in grow bags, one of which is producing branches like crazy compared to the others (slow for a "normal" plant still).  I have a few questions:

1) I have heard varying reports of this garcinia and its drought tolerance.  I live in a rain shadow pocket of Brisbane, Australia which gets about 850mm of rain a year.  It has a long dry season (particularly this year...) and when it comes it comes in downpours.  My question is:  Has anyone tried grafting Luc's onto Yellow Mangosteen (garcinia xanthochymus) and do we think it might increase the resilience to drought?  I heard that xanthochymus is the most resistant.  Otherwise is there a tougher rootstock I could consider?

2) My one Luc's which is going crazy has a different colour on new growth than the others (i'll post pictures later) .  The successful one has much more reddish new growth than the slower ones which are more yellow.  The mature leaves are the same deep green between all of them.  Is there a natural variability in the seedlings that would cause this?  A nutritional deficiency?  Wrong plant?  Chance super-seed that will make me a millionaire  ;D ?

Thanks!
Cheers

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 13, 2020, 09:32:54 PM »
If you go back to post 507 in this thread, there is a successful graft onto G. Livingstonei (Imbe), which I would think is right up there for drought tolerance. I have one in a rockery that still looks good when the agave are starting to go spongy. That said it's grown to a whopping 24 inches tall in 5 years.

RG

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 14, 2020, 02:57:31 AM »
Hello All!

First time poster here so apologies if this is the wrong thread.  Please point me to the correct one if I am wrong.

I have 4 x 30-60cm Luc's Garcinia seedlings in grow bags, one of which is producing branches like crazy compared to the others (slow for a "normal" plant still).  I have a few questions:

1) I have heard varying reports of this garcinia and its drought tolerance.  I live in a rain shadow pocket of Brisbane, Australia which gets about 850mm of rain a year.  It has a long dry season (particularly this year...) and when it comes it comes in downpours.  My question is:  Has anyone tried grafting Luc's onto Yellow Mangosteen (garcinia xanthochymus) and do we think it might increase the resilience to drought?  I heard that xanthochymus is the most resistant.  Otherwise is there a tougher rootstock I could consider?

2) My one Luc's which is going crazy has a different colour on new growth than the others (i'll post pictures later) .  The successful one has much more reddish new growth than the slower ones which are more yellow.  The mature leaves are the same deep green between all of them.  Is there a natural variability in the seedlings that would cause this?  A nutritional deficiency?  Wrong plant?  Chance super-seed that will make me a millionaire  ;D ?

Thanks!
Cheers
Congrats on your fast growing seedling, don't think you need to graft with other specie looking drought tolerant, here we have dry season from December through middle June with just 4/6 days spread out between December and February, all the new growth is pink /red color, the ones with Yello color should have some nutrient deficiency...
El verde es vida!

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 14, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks Both for your replies.  A few more questions but these may be more Australia-focused.  Anyone growing this tree in Brisbane?  I'm a little west and on a hill so my soil is absolute compacted rubbish.  I still manage to grow a lot of things by creating well-drained trenches (more like mini-mines!) backfilled with compost/chicken poo mixed in but it is A LOT of work.  Anywho:

1) How does this tree cope with heavy soils?  What about shallow/rocky soils? 

2) Is the dappled light requirement way more serious in the Australian sun?  I've probably read every post on this thread and it seems that generally the full sun plants are more productive but it requires protection when young. Just not sure if even mature trees can handle the brutality here.

3) I'm looking to grow a few more because I love Achacha and if this is as good as reported I'm all in on this Garcinia...the rest can be ornamentals.  How did you get seeds imported into Australia? Any trouble with bio-security?

Thanks All!

Hello All!

Thanks!
Cheers
Congrats on your fast growing seedling, don't think you need to graft with other specie looking drought tolerant, here we have dry season from December through middle June with just 4/6 days spread out between December and February, all the new growth is pink /red color, the ones with Yello color should have some nutrient deficiency...

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »
I'm down tweed heads way, but....
-Sun doesn't seem to be a problem but wind definitely is.
-Our soil is a deep clay, they do fine.
-Seeds were not on the aqis quarantine list but I understand rules on importing small amounts of seeds have changed.
-Easy enough to graft onto G.Intermedia or achacha which are readily available as mature/advanced trees. Give you a head start.
RG

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 14, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
Thanks!  Any particular graft style you would recommend for garcinias?

I'm down tweed heads way, but....
-Sun doesn't seem to be a problem but wind definitely is.
-Our soil is a deep clay, they do fine.
-Seeds were not on the aqis quarantine list but I understand rules on importing small amounts of seeds have changed.
-Easy enough to graft onto G.Intermedia or achacha which are readily available as mature/advanced trees. Give you a head start.
RG

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #549 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
where are you Brizzy? Perhaps not too far from me (Greenbank). I grow one here that has full sun for about half the day. I protected it completely for the first few months and have slowly reduced it. Extra sun hasn’t seemed to impact it at all. I mounded to get it above my compacted rubbish.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:34:51 PM by Ulfr »