Author Topic: any other fruit resemble the taste of Mangosteen  (Read 3992 times)

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: any other fruit resemble the taste of Mangosteen
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »
The H-Mart in Arcadia has mangosteen sometimes. It is $10.99/ lbs. One bag is usually  about 2 lbs. Worse than the price is the quality. 30% of the bag is rotten. I bought 4 bags and threw away a lot of it.
I ate a lot of them growing up in Asia, but according to my mon it is hard to find mangosteen now in the local market. Farmers converted their land into more economical fruit to grow, like grapes, or sell the land to the property builder.
 There is no other fruit that really ressemble mangosteen, except some really exotic fruit from the deep forest in Indonesia, like Matoa, and some other I don't even know the names. But they are even harder to grow than mangosteen.

exactly, expensive and not that fresh. you killed my hope.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »
They are VERY different fruits.  But lemon drop can fruit small at 3’ and stay small.
Garcinia is a genus with many edible fruits, some similar to each other but none really like mangosteen.
Peter

good to know about the small size. though not resemble Mangosteen. I am interested to try it after all the responses.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2020, 07:01:47 PM »
I know nothing nothing matches the taste of purple mangosteen but I believe the original poster is looking for what’s second best that they can grow in their climate.

I shared a bunch of ripe, maybe just slightly over ripe Jaboticabas with some friends and several members including myself felt that there was some resemblance in sweetness, flavor and texture to purple mangosteen. I’m not saying it’s an exact match, but it’s the closest thing that I have tasted that compares to the real deal.

I want to say it was the red Hybrid but it could have also been Sabara or Grimal.

Simon

Thank you Simon. You get me correct. I miss Mangosteen, but don't want to pay the market price for fruit that's not even very fresh.

Do you know whether Jaboticabas will do well with low summer heat? climate looks like the image.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
9waters seller Etsy has lemon drop mangosteen.  I've ordered a ton of seedlings from this guy, including lemon drop mangosteen, and they are always in great shape.  They used to be cheaper though, his prices seem to have gone up about 50% recently.  Maybe low inventory, I don't see nearly as many varieties as last year. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/561270819/lemon-drop-mangosteen-garcinia

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »
Grape variety ,,Moldova,, tastes almost identical in flavor and sweeteness with mangosteen.The texture its different ,obviously but the grapes have a better texture than mangosteen without the chevy part around the seed the mangosteen has .
Same identical floral perfume like flavor but a good flavor like mangosteen has not too much flavor like lychees.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2020, 01:29:01 AM »
9waters seller Etsy has lemon drop mangosteen.  I've ordered a ton of seedlings from this guy, including lemon drop mangosteen, and they are always in great shape.  They used to be cheaper though, his prices seem to have gone up about 50% recently.  Maybe low inventory, I don't see nearly as many varieties as last year. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/561270819/lemon-drop-mangosteen-garcinia

Thank you Brian. looks like an interesting store to check out. :)

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2020, 01:30:04 AM »
Grape variety ,,Moldova,, tastes almost identical in flavor and sweeteness with mangosteen.The texture its different ,obviously but the grapes have a better texture than mangosteen without the chevy part around the seed the mangosteen has .
Same identical floral perfume like flavor but a good flavor like mangosteen has not too much flavor like lychees.

Never tried Moldova, but I feel like I have to get one.

Vigo Carpathian

• USA, California, Livermore, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 01:58:44 AM »

Where did you get your lemondrop mangosteen? locally? I haven't really see temperature drop below 30F. sounds doable.
[/quote]

It was an impulse buy on Et sy, but TT has these as well. They also have very small seedlings on amzn.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
I know nothing nothing matches the taste of purple mangosteen but I believe the original poster is looking for what’s second best that they can grow in their climate.

I shared a bunch of ripe, maybe just slightly over ripe Jaboticabas with some friends and several members including myself felt that there was some resemblance in sweetness, flavor and texture to purple mangosteen. I’m not saying it’s an exact match, but it’s the closest thing that I have tasted that compares to the real deal.

I want to say it was the red Hybrid but it could have also been Sabara or Grimal.

Simon

Thank you Simon. You get me correct. I miss Mangosteen, but don't want to pay the market price for fruit that's not even very fresh.

Do you know whether Jaboticabas will do well with low summer heat? climate looks like the image.

I don’t know too much about Jaboticabas but your temperature chart looks like it should be fine for Jabs.

Simon

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 03:55:00 PM »

Where did you get your lemondrop mangosteen? locally? I haven't really see temperature drop below 30F. sounds doable.

It was an impulse buy on Et sy, but TT has these as well. They also have very small seedlings on amzn.
[/quote]

Thanks Vigo. I found seedlings on etsy.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »

Simon

I don’t know too much about Jaboticabas but your temperature chart looks like it should be fine for Jabs.

Simon

Thanks Simon. I will see if I can get a big tree from a S Cal deliver, or else I will try get a little seedling.