Author Topic: Anyone have Gomera mango seeds?  (Read 6862 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Anyone have Gomera mango seeds?
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »
After reading about several possible mango rootstocks that might do well in California, it seems that Gomera (either Gomera-1 or Gomera-3) are the best to use, but it's a hard tree to get a hold of.  I've been considering ordering from Canarius from the Canary Islands, but it's a bit of a complex and expensive process.

Does anyone have access to some Gomera seeds that they'd be willing to sell mail order?  Since they're polyembryonic, I assume getting 3-4 of them should be enough to be certain of getting at least 2-3 true Gomera trees.

Thanks!

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have Gomera mango seeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:30:18 AM »
After reading about several possible mango rootstocks that might do well in California, it seems that Gomera (either Gomera-1 or Gomera-3) are the best to use, but it's a hard tree to get a hold of.  I've been considering ordering from Canarius from the Canary Islands, but it's a bit of a complex and expensive process.

Does anyone have access to some Gomera seeds that they'd be willing to sell mail order?  Since they're polyembryonic, I assume getting 3-4 of them should be enough to be certain of getting at least 2-3 true Gomera trees.

Thanks!
The Gomera is very good as roostock especially because of the gold hardiness. I think they are out of season and you have to wait until next summer!
Mike

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »

Thanks!
I buy a gomera mango tree some months ago so no mangos yet... It's a good tree. Just hope she stands the winter!  ;D

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
Is the fruit good?
- David Antonio Garcia

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
msk -- Once it is summer, is there a source for Gomera seeds you'd recommend?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
msk -- Once it is summer, is there a source for Gomera seeds you'd recommend?
If i start to have them i don't mind...  ;D

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
David Antonio Garcia : The fruit is small and sweet when ripe but full of fibres so good as rootstock

Barath : I have a tree but no fruits yet. Maybe I can help you through my friend, just send me a reminder!
Mike

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
MANGIFERA CV. GOMERA 1 - LARGE - HARDY CANARIAN MANGO

Gomera is a traditional Canarian strain of vigorous mango trees, producing rounded yellow fruits of small-medium size, with excellent flavour. This mango is hardier than most mango cultivars to drought and cold. http://www.canarius.com/en/general-plants/517-mangifera-cv-gomera-1-large-hardy-canarian-mango.html

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
Hi there -- just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone is getting or has access to any Gomera seeds now that it's late summer.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »

Thanks!

barath

I had over 100 manga blanca this summer which is similar to Gomera, turpentine. I'll send you some seeds if  there is any fruits left. I would stick with La Verne's seedling and Ataulfo rootstock for California Gomera is the same as turpentine and is a proven failure in our climate.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »

Thanks!

barath

I had over 100 manga blanca this summer which is similar to Gomera, turpentine. I'll send you some seeds if  there is any fruits left. I would stick with La Verne's seedling and Ataulfo rootstock for California Gomera is the same as turpentine and is a proven failure in our climate.

Interesting.  I'm curious why Gomera would work well in Spain and not in California, given that they have a pretty similar climate.  (For example, I think Malaga's climate is very similar to inland Orange County, and I believe they use Gomera as rootstock there.)

As for La Verne trees, how do you personally reproduce them?  I'd like to grow the La Verne trees from seed -- if you do have a fruiting La Verne tree and can spare seeds, that would be great!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:31 PM »

Thanks!

barath

Interesting.  I'm curious why Gomera would work well in Spain and not in California, given that they have a pretty similar climate.  (For example, I think Malaga's climate is very similar to inland Orange County, and I believe they use Gomera as rootstock there.)

As for La Verne trees, how do you personally reproduce them?  I'd like to grow the La Verne trees from seed -- if you do have a fruiting La Verne tree and can spare seeds, that would be great!

Similar temperature but not the same climate, soil, water etc. I do not have a fruiting la verne seedling or ataulfo anymore,

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »
I have a LaVerne "manila" seedling but it's not fruiting this year. Fruits were pretty fiberous last year so I grafted it over to other varieties this year.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
I currently have Gomera-1 seeds. I sell them for 2,5 EUR each.

Manga blanca is Gomera-4.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
I currently have Gomera-1 seeds. I sell them for 2,5 EUR each.

Manga blanca is Gomera-4.

It's funny my Gomara is on ataulfo and produced over 100 fruit on its first year. I graft over some branches a few weeks ago

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
Ataulfo on Gomea performs very bad here. It develops an elefant foot and the graft lacks on vigor. My theory is that they both have a bad compatibility....

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 12:28:21 AM »
Ataulfo on Gomea performs very bad here. It develops an elefant foot and the graft lacks on vigor. My theory is that they both have a bad compatibility....

Gomea on ataulfo here does not have those issues but there are way better mangos out there so Gomea in my yard was short-lived.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
I have now 5 seeds of Gomera. If someone wants the seed can have them for free, just pays the postal service.
Mike

mygc

• Australia, Victoria, Melbourne, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
Hi, just wondering if anybody has any gomera mango seeds to sell at the moment?

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 05:41:50 PM »
Just want to say that in my opinion Gomera is overrated.
I have one 2 year plant bought in a nursery in a unheated cheap greenhouse and it's in a much worse condition than a seedling less than 1 years old outside the greenhouse.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 02:22:37 AM »
Out of season. In my opinion best cold hardy mango in my region
Mike

mygc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 08:37:47 PM »
Is it in season in August?

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 02:14:37 AM »
August September
Mike

mygc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 01:41:30 AM »
Anyone got seeds? It's in season now. :)