Author Topic: Pintangatuba pollination  (Read 3344 times)

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
Pintangatuba pollination
« on: July 10, 2021, 07:30:14 PM »
Hi all! I have a small 2’ bush that is blooming well but does not set any fruit. Does it set better with another plant to cross pollinate? Plenty of bees flying around and taking care of other plants nearby. Maybe more or less water? Plant is potted, full sun, watered 2x per week. Thanks!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Pintangatuba pollination
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 10:00:03 PM »
I think more water if it’s rootbound and morning or late afternoon or filtered light. Mine don’t like full sun in California.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 07:43:43 AM »
Is this the first flowering? None of mine have set fruit until the 2nd/3rd flowering.

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 06:22:15 PM »
Hi all! I have a small 2’ bush that is blooming well but does not set any fruit. Does it set better with another plant to cross pollinate? Plenty of bees flying around and taking care of other plants nearby. Maybe more or less water? Plant is potted, full sun, watered 2x per week. Thanks!
I have the same situation/problem.  I’m thinking it needs another plant.  Who’s got a seed?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »
Mine also didn't set fruit on their first few flowerings, despite my hand pollinating sometimes.  Then they started holding fruit recently.  I have about three flowering ones 1-2ft tall.  The fruit has mostly been falling off right as it starts becoming yellow, though. 

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 12:57:05 AM »
This will be the third or fourth time flowering for me, no fruit set with any previous flowerings. This time it has way more flowers than the previous times, and I planted a bunch of flowers around it for the pollinators. It’s been getting hit by every pollinator you can imagine. These trees are monoecious right?

Fingers crossed. Good luck ya’ll.
Nate

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 02:17:44 AM »
This will be the third or fourth time flowering for me, no fruit set with any previous flowerings. This time it has way more flowers than the previous times, and I planted a bunch of flowers around it for the pollinators. It’s been getting hit by every pollinator you can imagine. These trees are monoecious right?

Fingers crossed. Good luck ya’ll.

Mine looks similar.  I have tons of buds and maybe 20 or so flowers have opened.  The prior flowers opened and a day later looked dried out and dead.  These are full white and some have been open for three mornings now.  Fingers crossed they pollinate. 

Thousand Oaks here, humidity less than 50% on average.  I have to water a bit more often or the containers get so dried out they are dusty almost.  Since I changed watering habits, my eugenias and garcinias are showing much better growth and health.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »
I don’t think it’s a watering thing but maybe more of a humidity or age thing? Mine is planted in the ground, well mulched, and never dries out. However it’s only a few years old and our humidity is pretty low, so I’m guessing it’s one of those two factors. Time will tell.
Nate

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 11:34:30 AM »
Mine has been fruiting all by itself, it was in a 3-gal when purchased in 2019 and up potted to 15 gal. It is about 3’ tall now. I am between low and hi desert in dry zone 9b. However, I don’t like the fruits, they are way too sour for me. Fruits seem to ripen very quickly, if not picked when they start to turn yellow, next day it might be on the ground.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 11:45:21 AM »
Cool, thanks Hawkfish. So maybe it is just an age thang.
Nate

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »
I have two flowering. One has flowered maybe 15 times this year, the other maybe 6. I cross pollinated one of each when they were flowering at the same time, and only those two fruits set. Since then the bigger one keeps flowering, but the smaller not, so no cross-pollination, and I don't think they're setting. They take a couple weeks to drop if they don't set. Mine seem happy in full sun, even seedlings. I'm starting to really doubt these are self-fertile.

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
I thought we've gone over this, high genetic variability with these, its way too risky to only have one, if you have two you are guaranteed fruit.. ask @K-Rimes what happened once he bought another one to accompany his :)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
I thought we've gone over this, high genetic variability with these, its way too risky to only have one, if you have two you are guaranteed fruit.. ask @K-Rimes what happened once he bought another one to accompany his :)

Oh look, it me.

I have a nice big 7g plant from Champa, flowering profusely - honestly it hasn't stopped flowering since I brought it home, put it in my greenhouse and it acclimated. It is fragrant and just wildly happy and always has / had flowers in various stages on it. I tried bending the branches around from the freshest flowers with no luck on getting fruit sets and opted to buy a small 3g flowering plant when I was at Mimosa just to see what would happen.

IMMEDIATE fruit sets. It is so full of fruit that I am considering thinning it!

I have had fruit from both plants now and it's pretty much the same, really sour with mango/apricot flavors and kinda stringy flesh. Most people wouldn't like it but I don't mind the sour, I eat them out of hand. I had 3 fruit fall off today that were about 1/3 yellow 2/3 green. They do ripen a bit more if left on the counter but they're so delicate and soft when ripe that they're definitely not built for that. The fruit on the larger plant are really large, golf ball size.

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 07:25:52 PM »

Oh look, it me.

I have a nice big 7g plant from Champa, flowering profusely - honestly it hasn't stopped flowering since I brought it home, put it in my greenhouse and it acclimated. It is fragrant and just wildly happy and always has / had flowers in various stages on it. I tried bending the branches around from the freshest flowers with no luck on getting fruit sets and opted to buy a small 3g flowering plant when I was at Mimosa just to see what would happen.

IMMEDIATE fruit sets. It is so full of fruit that I am considering thinning it!

I have had fruit from both plants now and it's pretty much the same, really sour with mango/apricot flavors and kinda stringy flesh. Most people wouldn't like it but I don't mind the sour, I eat them out of hand. I had 3 fruit fall off today that were about 1/3 yellow 2/3 green. They do ripen a bit more if left on the counter but they're so delicate and soft when ripe that they're definitely not built for that. The fruit on the larger plant are really large, golf ball size.

Wow, I got mine from Mimosa.  Guess I will head over and get a second one.  The current one must have 60 buds on it and 16 or so flowers that are at least two days old.

Appreciate the input!!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 07:52:32 PM »

Just picked these up off the ground. Wish I could get them more yellow but they’re still tasty

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 09:02:46 PM »
Here is the overall size of the star cherry. You can see fruits on the ground. Fruits filled the air with mango/papaya/pineapple aroma, too bad they are too sour.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 11:43:34 PM »
Here is the overall size of the star cherry. You can see fruits on the ground. Fruits filled the air with mango/papaya/pineapple aroma, too bad they are too sour.

I look forward to when my miracle berry also has some fruit for me. Hopefully it coincides

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 08:46:07 AM »
Good info! Looks like I will give it some time but also get a second plant.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 09:39:00 PM »
Does anybody reliably get these to full ripeness before they fall off?  Mine have been falling at green to slight yellow.  The most yellow one in this picture was sitting on the ground for a couple days I believe, and was already somewhat spoiled.  They have a nice citrus taste but the texture and sourness ruins it for me, pitanga/surinam cherry is way better for me so far.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 06:29:33 AM »
For me ... This has been the best season ever for Pitangatubas:

Kevin

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 07:22:43 AM »
Mine tend to get as ripe as the ones in Kevins pics. They don't stay on the tree long at peak ripeness, maybe 12 hours or so. They get darker yellow after a day on the counter and sometimes a bit sweeter/less sour. I prefer to eat them one day after picking.

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
Ended up getting a second plant at Mimosa.  Brought it home, set close to other one.  Old plant blossomed like made, zero fruit.  New one had 3 or four flowers, all fruit.  Tons of bees around the plants and busy doing what bees do.  Hopefully next flowering I get both fruiting. 

I out the fruit in refrigerator and let cool overnight.  I think they're tastier that way vs warmed in sun. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 06:50:40 PM »
Ended up getting a second plant at Mimosa.  Brought it home, set close to other one.  Old plant blossomed like made, zero fruit.  New one had 3 or four flowers, all fruit.  Tons of bees around the plants and busy doing what bees do.  Hopefully next flowering I get both fruiting. 

I out the fruit in refrigerator and let cool overnight.  I think they're tastier that way vs warmed in sun.

Sounds about right. I have had one fruit on the small plant I bought for pollinating and probably 40 from my larger one. Very productive little thing and they're both set with fruits again now. I would just pick the smaller 3g plant up and shake it and pollen would fly. I also have bees here but they don't really bother going for it, they're always obsessing over the dragonfruit flowers.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 07:44:25 PM »
Just bought one of these from a member and his advice was buy another one or its just going to flower a bunch.

Yeah I immediately bought another.

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 12:36:08 AM »
I have a 3ft tall 3gal all by it's lonesome in a greenhouse. Put on at least 50 flowers. Ended up with about 10 fruits through hand pollination. Not the best ratio, but it is possible to fruit alone. Did better than I expected considering this is it's first real fruiting. Your problem just could just be maturity. 2ft is pretty small. Unless you like really sour fruit, I would give the plant another year or two to produce before buying another one. But I enjoy them and I think another plant would help production. So any of you in SoCal who aren't fans of the fruit and want to trade theirs for something, let me know.

This was my first real try of this fruit. Sour and slightly sweet with a tropical candy-like after taste. I really liked it. I can eat lemons raw, so sour doesn't bother me at all. Should make a great juice too.