Author Topic: Atemoya vs Cherimoya  (Read 29325 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Atemoya vs Cherimoya
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
There was a thread in the old GW forum on this subject. Hopefully with these pics everyone will be able to recognize an Atemoya from a Cherimoya. These are African Pride, Dr. White and Booth.

JF

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya vs Cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
so those ae all cherimoyas?
I've never known the difference between the following:

cherimoya
atemoya
sugar apple
custard apple

anyone care to explain?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
no lycheeluva
the first one is the african pride atemoya. second, booth cherimoya followed by an african pride and a Dr. white cherimoya. and of course, I used a guava to juxtapose the differences in size.

JF

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
thanks jf- and sugar apple and custard apple?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »
Lycheeluva,
I think I should be telling you to google it because wikipedia has all the information you seek. They are all closely related and the atemoya is a cross with the cherimoya and the sugar apple. If you would like, I can try to mail you a custard apple fruit to NY this year.

Cherimoya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherimoya
Atemoya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atemoya
Sugar Apple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_apple
Custard Apple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard-apple

They are all also related to one of your favorite fruit the soursop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soursop

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
i would loooooooove for you to mail me a custard apple!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Message me your address and I'll send you a fruit if I can find one without chalcid fly.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »
so how do the four stack up in terms of
seediness
complexity of taste
bearing precociusness

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
Sometimes it's impossible to distinguish chirimoya from atemoya just from the (fruit/leaf/plant) appereance...

JF, can you please elaborate on the eating quality of those cultivars? I've heard different opinions about African Pride..

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
Felipe:

Chirimoya are creamier and smoother and much more milder than an Atemoya. The Atemoya can be slightly grainy sometime it leaves me with an unpleasant aftertaste.

Lycheeluva:

Here is a pic of a Yucatan Red Custard Apple it was sicking sweet I could only stand two bits

and here is a pic of a Santa Ana Sugar Apple less grainy than an Atemoya and creamier.

dnt72800

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
HI JF
How productive is that sugar apple in santa ana or overall here in Southern CA?...Mr....$%^ adviced me not to waste my time/money on it...
Also is atemoya in general larger fruit sixethan cherimoya?
Thanks
DT

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
DT

This one is very productive the only problem is half of them mummify before maturity. Santa Ana and Cypress are the two cities that I know who have had sucess with Sugar Apples.

JF 

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
JF, in your describtion, were you refering to African Pride atemoya or just atemoya in general?

Did you save seeds from that custard apple?

Great pics! You make me so jealous... ;-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
Jf...your decription of atemoyas as being "somewhat grainy and leaving you with an aftertaste" is pretty contrary to my experience with atemoyas.  I have eaten Gefner (my favorite), African Pride, Rosendo Perez, Lisa (48-26), Page, Petch Pakchong, Priestly and Bradley.  Of these, I would classify only Lisa (48-26) as inferior. The others were smooth with no stone cells to speak of (which cause the gritty texture you find in sugar apples) and I have never encountered any negative flavors in any of these.  Which specific atemoyas are you referring to when you describe them in this way?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Harry, I'm comparing them to cherimoya. I've tried geftner, bradley and african pride atemoya and they seem to fall short to a cherimoya in texture and taste. IMO, Cherimoyas are la creme de la anonas.

Felipe. I was talking about Atemoya in general. I notice after I arrived from Mexico that I accidentally
left a few custurd apple seeds in my pocket, among other seeds 8) I gave Jacob 3 or 4 and I kept 3. All of them sprouted in late summer one seedling survive.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:00:06 PM by JF »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »
Yah, you can't really beat a california grown cherimoya. That's probably the fruit I most miss from socal. The ones we find in the super markets here in sofl are trash.

Jeff
Jeff  :-)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »
I agree with Harry, I have eaten plenty of Atemoya also including Gefner, Lisa, Priestly, and others and have never had one with any grittiness  or aftertaste. Maybe what Felipe has was a inferior Custard Apple (reticulata)

FloridaGreenMan

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »
With all due respect to Harry and Floridagreenman I will stick to my story. In a comparison taste test between them( Atemoya and Cherimoya) - I forgot to add Vietnamese Atemoya to the list of Atemoyas I've tasted- the Atemoya taste grainy and, leaves me and my 6 family members, a bit of an aftertaste. This is NOT my recollection this is a real time taste test.

JF

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »

Here is a pic of a Yucatan Red Custard Apple it was sicking sweet I could only stand two bits

The best fruits in the entire picture are those mombins. Delicious. I could eat those every day.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »
Felipe. I was talking about Atemoya in general. I notice after I arrived from Mexico that I accidentally
left a few custurd apple seeds in my pocket....

Amigo, yes, I know that story... shit happens! I also often forget seeds in my pockets...  ;D

Guys, maybe being "somewhat grainy and leaving you with an aftertaste"is due to endoclimatic factors??! What do you think?

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »

The best fruits in the entire picture are those mombins. Delicious. I could eat those every day.
[/quote]

Why, are you out of mamoncillo?  ::)

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 10:30:39 PM »
so those ae all cherimoyas?
I've never known the difference between the following:

cherimoya
atemoya
sugar apple
custard apple

anyone care to explain?
Cherimoya (annona cherimola) is the hardiest along with atemoya. It has large, fuzzy, round leaves. Flowers are about the same as any sugar apple or custard apple and the fruit are usually very smootw, with lines on the fruit. It looks green on the outside and brown lines.
Sugar apple(annona squamosa) is hardier than custard apple but less hardy than cherimoya and atemoya. It has green scales with a bumpy skin and has yellow lines in the cracks and green skin, can flick off the scales. Is good for containers. Also comes in a purple variety
Atemoya is a hybrid of sugar a-pole and cherimoya and is hardy as a cherimoya btu it depends on t he variety. It usually looks between a sugar apple and cherimoya. Leaves look like sugar apple and cherimoya maxed together.
Custard appel(annona reticulata) is the most cold sensitive out of all of these, but not too sensitive. Hardy to about 28 when mature, this one is very smooth in the skin and skin can be from yellow to red. Flesh can be from white to red to purple. Leaves are skinnier than the others. Known to have less seed.
Other annonas are also there!
Cheers!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 09:19:02 AM »
The few cherimoyas I have had are pale shadows of good atemoyas. They are more seedy and just don't taste as good. I have posted reports on Annona evaluations and breeding trials before. I actually had arican pride and gefner trees in my yard once and did chop these inferior atemoyas down.In the breeding trials, market analyses and what the highest prices are pais for in export markets are mammoth line atemoyas. Cherimoya fino de jete is used in some breeding trials here but it really cant match say Hillary white for good texture, flavour or seedlessness. By the way custard apple is not the universal name for reticulata as in many areas it is a bullock heart. Custard apple can be used in a general sense to cover a number of species and is routinely applied to atemoya.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 11:48:48 AM »
CA cherimoyas were better than any FL atemoya or sugar apple I've tried, but haven't had a lot of them. The CA moyas did develop an unpleasant aftertaste if allowed to over-ripen.

A few years ago, a local red custard apple from the farmers market blew my mind. Waiting for seedlings to grow up.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »
CA cherimoyas were better than any FL atemoya or sugar apple I've tried, but haven't had a lot of them. The CA moyas did develop an unpleasant aftertaste if allowed to over-ripen.

A few years ago, a local red custard apple from the farmers market blew my mind. Waiting for seedlings to grow up.
Got an overripe cherimoya, tasted like cherimoya with no sweetness and with soap and bitetrness
Cheers!