Author Topic: Meyers lemon- grafted compared to ungrafted  (Read 3018 times)

Wisner

• Southwest Louisiana zone 9a
    • View Profile
Meyers lemon- grafted compared to ungrafted
« on: July 07, 2018, 10:11:51 PM »
  I have a Meyers lemon started from a cutting.  How will it compared to a grafted tree as far as it's mature size or any other differences to expect?  I have it in a 25 gallon container that I hope to keep it in for a few years.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:14:04 PM by Wisner »

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: Meyers lemon- grafted compared to ungrafted
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:17:07 AM »
I can only convey my experience with Meyer lemon from cuttings.  I bought two small cuttings just over 3 years ago and planted them in the ground. I have to protect them in winter. They are now over 8 feet tall and wide and carrying well over a hundred lemons each. I have pruned them many times to maintain a size I can handle, and they need it again. Last year they produced 70 - 90 lemons each...I lost count. I give away cuttings all the time and even sell a few after they have grown some. I have some now in pots that have small lemons on them. They grow slower in pots than they do in ground.If room is a factor, you may want to buy a dwarf grafted one.

TFN

Wisner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
  Thanks for the information.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
Basically there is not much difference between a grafted Meyer and a rooted cutting.  Meyer lemon cuttings root very easily, therefore the citrus nurseries now sell mostly trees grown from cuttings.  As TFN wrote, you can prune a cutting off your tree and make as many Meyers as you wish.   Enjoy your tree.,

Wisner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »
Thanks, I did not know that.  Do you know if lime trees are easy to root from cuttings also?

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »
I have several rooted cuttings from Bearss lime. They seem to be nearly as easy as Meyer  lemon.

TFN

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
I can only convey my experience with Meyer lemon from cuttings.  I bought two small cuttings just over 3 years ago and planted them in the ground. I have to protect them in winter. They are now over 8 feet tall and wide and carrying well over a hundred lemons each. I have pruned them many times to maintain a size I can handle, and they need it again. Last year they produced 70 - 90 lemons each...I lost count.
TFN
Lemon are as standard to my table as salt and pepper shakers but still, what do you do with so many lemons?
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »
After friends, family, and neighbors, I ran out. Lol  But not before some lemon curd and lemon Meringue pie.

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
With my lemons, I juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays, then store in the freezer.  My wife uses them when making lemonade, and other recipes.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
I can only convey my experience with Meyer lemon from cuttings.  I bought two small cuttings just over 3 years ago and planted them in the ground. I have to protect them in winter. They are now over 8 feet tall and wide and carrying well over a hundred lemons each. I have pruned them many times to maintain a size I can handle, and they need it again. Last year they produced 70 - 90 lemons each...I lost count.
TFN
Lemon are as standard to my table as salt and pepper shakers but still, what do you do with so many lemons?

I have a friend with a mature meyer lemon tree. Every year I pick at least 10 gallons of lemons. I could pick 100 gallons if I wanted! We drink lots of lemonade and make salt preserved lemons.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
Different root stocks can make a lot of difference

We bought two Bearrs Lemons at the recent Mannate sale.

We didn’t notice the root stocks were different and it changed a lot