Author Topic: Campomanesia schlechtendaliana  (Read 2534 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Campomanesia schlechtendaliana
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »
Got a chance to taste these fruits yesterday.  About 1 inch across in diameter.  Mix of pear/nectarine/peach taste?  At least that's from my perspective.  Nice refreshing taste.  The tree was about 10 ft tall and maybe 20 years old?  Nice foliage.  Was told that fruited after 6 years.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Campomanesia schlechtendaliana
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
Hi, congrats!!! Campomanesia is one if my favourites genous. The leaves are similar to c. lineatifolia, chamba, and the fruit obviously is similar to many campomanesias, but it remembers me sete capotes specially, c. guazumifolia. This last one tastes like an orange but with sand apple texture to me, and when it is overripe it tastes like jaboticaba. But, yes, you can say it tastes a bit like pear, very nice.

I dont have schlechtendaliana, is it too tropical? I grow guazumifolia, lineatifolia and xanthocarpa.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
Hi, congrats!!! Campomanesia is one if my favourites genous. The leaves are similar to c. lineatifolia, chamba, and the fruit obviously is similar to many campomanesias, but it remembers me sete capotes specially, c. guazumifolia. This last one tastes like an orange but with sand apple texture to me, and when it is overripe it tastes like jaboticaba. But, yes, you can say it tastes a bit like pear, very nice.

I dont have schlechtendaliana, is it too tropical? I grow guazumifolia, lineatifolia and xanthocarpa.

It is growing well here in Hawaii.

I notice it  gets tastier if I let it get soft on table.  Much better than i expected.  Wish it was bigger fruit!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:06 PM »

I notice it  gets tastier if I let it get soft on table.  Much better than i expected.  Wish it was bigger fruit!

Yes, there are bigger campomanesia fruits, chamba is one of those

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:39 PM »
Hi

Another species that has bigger fruits and very good is the Campomanesia Laurifolia, I think the fruit is about 4 cm in diameter or larger, but it takes a lot to fruition, the flavor is sweet and refreshing. Already a common tree in my region today is more rare.

Pallilo is also very good for making juice and eating, there are other good Gabirobas (Campomanesia for you foreigners), but many are without identification and there is a huge variability among the species, huge variation between the sizes of trees and fruits, existing trees from 10 m to 40 cm shrubs. I usually pretend that gabiroba is the fruit of a child from the countryside, when we are children we love gabirobas and jabuticabas, then we grow into adults and few people without them.

Yes, there are bigger campomanesia fruits, chamba is one of those

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:23:03 AM »
Got a chance to taste these fruits yesterday.  About 1 inch across in diameter.  Mix of pear/nectarine/peach taste?  At least that's from my perspective.  Nice refreshing taste.  The tree was about 10 ft tall and maybe 20 years old?  Nice foliage.  Was told that fruited after 6 years.

Are these fruits from Frankes nursery?
Oscar

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:53:44 AM »
Few know that chamba was actually the inspiration behind British anarchist rock band Chumbawamba. Good harvest song.

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »

Are these fruits from Frankes nursery?

Yup was eyeballing these for a while and finally got to try them

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
Thats hilarious, Thanks for that factoid.

Few know that chamba was actually the inspiration behind British anarchist rock band Chumbawamba. Good harvest song.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »

wtf? chamba is almost unknown outside its region (Colombia, ¿some parts of Brazil?)

So, how could it be possible? it would be an amazing history... do you have some link or more references?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 12:38:32 AM »
I am sure that Campomanesia schlechtendaliana is covered in Brazilian Fruits & Cultivated Exotics, but I do not have that book (it is pretty much impossible to find); so, I found a couple of sites that talk about this Campomanesia species: http://bananasraras.org/frutasrarasingles/guabiroba1.htm and https://ciprest.blogspot.com/2018/02/guabiroba-verde-rugosa-ou-da-restinga.html (this one I Google translated from Portuguese).

It does not seem like C. schlechtendaliana is a particularly hard plant to grow from these descriptions. It can grow in both sandy soil and rich organic soils of neutral pH. It grows in full sun and partial shade. Bananas Raras states that it can fruit in as little as three years. I wonder if other forum members can corroborate all of that from personal experience. Also, has anyone successfully fruited it as a container plant?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »