Author Topic: Homemade foliar spray  (Read 1773 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Homemade foliar spray
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:22:41 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade foliar spray
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:04 PM »
I don't have a foliar spray recipe for feeding, but I have a good formula I like for fighting fungus and bacteria. I don't use chemicals on my farm, but the disease pressure is very high here in our very rainy climate. I use a simple spray "recipe" which does help in fighting fungus on my plants and fruit trees. Mix one cup of white sugar and one cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide with one gallon of water. The fungus and bacteria don't like the peroxide at all, and as a bonus the sugar somehow makes leaves less appetizing to the bugs. I do add EM to the recipe, and it probably adds a punch to the formula as well. The only problem with spraying this on the trees...the rain washes it off. BTW, I credit this formula to Ed Bernhart, our longtime resident organic gardening expert here, who "wrote the book" on tropical organic growing in Costa Rica.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:52:33 PM by Doug »

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
I am trying to keep our farm in compliance with Demeter organic farm standard. Which means at least 85% of all inputs/fertilizers, etc. need to be generated onsite. [...]

That seems highly challenging... or maybe not.  Maybe in that 15% you can supply all 3 mains and micros. The only thing you will be able to generate on site is nitrogen...

Back to the topic, I use kelp and EM1. I wonder if you can start a shallow algae pond.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »
I am trying to keep our farm in compliance with Demeter organic farm standard. Which means at least 85% of all inputs/fertilizers, etc. need to be generated onsite.  I am making a foliar spray from fresh mulched Albizia leaves and fresh cut clover, placing in cheesecloth and filling with water and let ferment for six weeks. You then mix with water 15 parts water to 1 part Albizia water.  I plan on using this in combination with a homemade em1 and a fermented alfalfa foliar spray.  Does anyone have any recipes they use?
Is this 85% by weight, volume, or what metric?

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:21:40 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »
This device may be of use to you and can be scaled to whatever size and material to conform to standards.  It will make an organic liquid compost in concentration, not the same as compost tea, you can dilute and foliar spray.  It takes up way less space than traditional composting too.  I would think about adding a healthy dose of worm castings which contains substances that kills bugs dead.  I think it's called chitenase if memory serves.

https://liquidcompost.blogspot.com/

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 05:33:30 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:20:57 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Hi Charlie, what can your setup do that can'not be done in a bucket with just a simple air stone???           Patrick

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
Hi Charlie, what can your setup do that can'not be done in a bucket with just a simple air stone???           Patrick

I think if you read the instructions it's pretty much explained.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk