Author Topic: What conditions does guamuchil need?  (Read 1870 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
What conditions does guamuchil need?
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:08:31 AM »
I started several guamuchil plants from seed several months back, and now have about a dozen of them growing in #1 and #3 pots in the greenhouse and others in a windowsill, but have yet to figure out what to give them to make them happy.

I've tried giving them lots of sun, and they seem to get burned (leaves turn white and whither), but even with part day sun they seem to get burned, just more slowly.  Some I've had in heavy soil (lots of coconut coir and potting soil) and some I have in well draining soil, but it makes no difference.  I tried inoculating some with bean/misc inoculant but I don't know if it made a difference.  I put a couple outdoors but the leaves were stripped by fairly mild winds.

Does anyone know what guamuchil needs to make it happy?

Thanks!

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What conditions does guamuchil need?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:49:27 AM »
Mine grew like a freaking weed, 6 inches to near 6 ft in about a year.  Watered a little once a week. In third mulch, third bagged succulent mix, third garden loam in deep 20 gal from day one. Was in direct sun for 3-4 hrs a day for first 6 months, now getting about 6 hrs in current spot. Pot itself is shaded by patio furnature so roots are kept cool, maybe that helps? I never concidered they might be sensitive to sun. Tough thorny and grey with small leaves... These guys just scream "desert plant" to me. I neglect it, think i feed it once but maybe not. Not even sure what the hell to do with it. Grows into a large tree right?
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »
Great, thanks.  I'll try to treat it more like a desert plant and less like the other subtropicals I'm growing.

It does eventually become a weird-shaped fairly big tree, and should produce lots of sweet-sour tamarind-like pods.  (Not sure how long it takes to bear from seed.)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »
I agree with SokalKoop , lots of Guamuchil's here , once they are in the ground you can totally neglect them . I grow them in the nursery in full sun .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »
I keep my seedlings in full sun and when its too hot,the top leaves wilt but they recover the next day.To me it only looks like a desert plant but i dont think it is .They are in the 4 pots to the left and i have the variety that makes pods with red flesh.
Do you still have the guamuchil trees?Did they flower and made pods?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:55:19 PM by SeaWalnut »

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:37 PM »
I live in Phoenix AZ and mine is in full sun, it takes it no problem. :)