Author Topic: Annonas, how do you feel in general about their taste?  (Read 13887 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Annonas, how do you feel in general about their taste?
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:13:24 AM »
wondering from the group,

why you dislike or like annona fruits?

any annona fruits are acceptable to comment on, but I know we don't like pond apples and such...so let me know more about ones that are commonly enjoyed by others, or even commonly disliked by many, but still available in markets readily, whether domestic or foreign markets.

thanks in advance for your input!

Mango
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Annonas, how do you feel in general about their taste?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »
wondering from the group,

why you dislike or like annona fruits?

any annona fruits are acceptable to comment on, but I know we don't like pond apples and such...so let me know more about ones that are commonly enjoyed by others, or even commonly disliked by many, but still available in markets readily, whether domestic or foreign markets.

thanks in advance for your input!

Mango
me likes...atemoya, cherimoya, ilama, sugar apple and guanabana...I can't say much with respect to the rolinia cause I have not had the good fortune of trying one.  not a big fan of custard apple but maybe I just haven't had a good one.
- Rob

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »
Mountain Soursop smells delicious! Taste is rather fermenting.
I've only had one ilama and I threw it out the window as it was 80% seed and gave me the sugars. Looking forward to finding a good one.
Custard Apple - I've not had a good one. They taste like a gritty bland atemoya.
Cherimoya - Good, but I know I've not had the best yet, just White, Fino, Pierce etc.
Atemoya - New ones mostly from mammoth are awesome. old spiky AP types are average. Sweetsop dominated lines are a bit gritty.
Sweetsop - purples taste good but are gritty. Dont much like the greens. Looking forward to getting a taste of the super red atis in a few years.
Soursop - Yum, but can be hard to sit through as we seem to only have fibreful ones that produce often. Fibre free ones dont really produce at all here.
Rollinia - Deliciosa! Most are fantastic. I dont mind the gloopy ones as long as the tste is good. I've found many of the firmer ones taste like a mildy lemony glue.
Hoping to try an Atelama (or whatever an Atemoys x ilama is called) in the next few years.
Hoping to lay hands on a good Soncoya soon also.

Worst thing about annona in general is the grit and seeds. Once this is overcome, most are quite good fruit in my oppinion.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:15:37 AM »
BMc you are a more seasoned and experienced campaigner that I.I would have to agree with your atemoya,soursop,rollinia and custard apple observations.I do think you speak of cherimoya in more glowing terms than my experience would suggests.I also think the largest green sugar apples are of great quality and the only genuine rivals for atemoya.From what I understand cherimoya can be good and I accept this is true.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:19 AM »
Cherimoya is one of the best fruits on the planet. Deliciousness itself, according to Mark Twain. He figured it out right over 100 years ago during a trip to Hawaii! Some of the other annonas are also PDG (pretty darn good), but can't stand up to the melt in the mouth scrumpciousness of a high quality cherimoya.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:41 AM »
Oscar didn't Mark Twain's comments get wrongfully attributed to cherimoya when that was not the annona actually tried? I am looking forward to a good cherimoya one day an seeing how it stacks up against a good atemoya.I wonder they are not a mainstream supermarket fruit in Australia like atemoya? Maybe atemoya just got here first.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:52:03 AM »
Oscar didn't Mark Twain's comments get wrongfully attributed to cherimoya when that was not the annona actually tried? I am looking forward to a good cherimoya one day an seeing how it stacks up against a good atemoya.I wonder they are not a mainstream supermarket fruit in Australia like atemoya? Maybe atemoya just got here first.

There has been some doubt about whether Twain actually tasted the fruit himself or was just reporting on someone else's experience. But it was about cherimoya. Apparently Twain was not here during the cherimoya season.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:06 AM »
Could the unthinkable be true and it was another annona?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 04:13:10 AM »
Could the unthinkable be true and it was another annona?

I doubt it because the other annonas didn't exist here back then.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
Sugar apples...love them but hate the numerous seeds.  Tried several varieties and the Big Red is now my fav variety. 
Cherimoyas...simply wonderful...except the ones grown in S. Am. which suck.
Rollinias (deliciosa only)...fanatastic.  You all can keep your snot fruit!
Soursop...everyone knows Gerry and I's opinions and descriptions of this fruit!

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »
Sugar apple is the only anonna I've tried and it is one of my favorite fruits. It might even be my all-time favorite. I just love creamy fruit. I tried a bunch of mangoes at Harry's the other week, and while they were all delicious, my favorite fruit of the day was the abiu.

I'm growing Geffner sugar apple and the Lisa Atemoya- I hope I get some fruit within a few years!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
Cherimoyas for me are king of the Annonaceae's! I don't buy cherimoyas in the supermarket...I'm loyal to my trees and when the season of  abundance comes by...I eat till I fall over ;D They are juicy, creamy, complex and super sweet. What's really  pure heaven, is getting a ripe fruit and crack the bad boy open...caveman style, right next to the tree 8)

Unfortunately, I have not tasted other species of this wonderful genus...Hopefully in the near future my babies of Atemoya, Biriba, Pinha(Sugar apple), and Graviola(Sour sop) will start to produce :)...Then I will be able to assess their texture and flavor!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
I thought I liked Cherimoyas but when I was able to try a super bumpy fruit that looks exactly like the "El Bumpo" variety, I found out I absolutely love love love them.  I like Atemoyas OK but I prefer the usually more acidic Cherimoya.  Perhaps I have just not had a really good Atemoya yet. 
Simon

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »

After tasting: cherimoya, sweetsop, atemoya, soursop, Rolinia/biribá and custard apples (A. reticulata),
my favourite is sugar apple/sweetsop and then cherimoya. The atemoyas I had were just too sweet.

It's been a while since I had soursop. I recall they were quite fragrant, a bit too much.

The biribá and custard apples I tried came from my own plants but they are too bland to rave about. My location
does not have warm night long enough for Rolinia to develop full flavor (or my seedlings are just crap).

The custard apples (A. reticulata) are also bland and watery because they mature over the winter.

Most of my sugar apples ripen well before winter and can be delicious. I like that they are sweet but not too much and
they have a hint of cinnammon in  there... (quite fitting that they are called "pomme cannelle" in French).

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma năo é pequena!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »
Cherimoyas and everything else is secondary.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »
Don't be so bashful now  ;D ;D ;D

Cherimoyas and everything else is secondary.
Tim

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
Cherimoya, cherimoya, cherimoya, ;D then Rollinia D., sugar apples, and uvaria rufa, that is all I've tried so far.

-Ethan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »
Sugar apple is the only anonna I've tried and it is one of my favorite fruits. It might even be my all-time favorite. I just love creamy fruit. I tried a bunch of mangoes at Harry's the other week, and while they were all delicious, my favorite fruit of the day was the abiu.

I'm growing Geffner sugar apple and the Lisa Atemoya- I hope I get some fruit within a few years!
Not sure if it was a typo or not but Gefner is an atemoya.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
I like sugar apple very much. I just don't like the amount of seeds.
Alexi

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
My mistake, Rob. I chopped down the Gefner and replaced with the Lisa. I also have a sugar apple, but don't know the variety.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:18 PM »
Viva annonaceae!! I love plants and fruits of this familiy. When we talk about species, it depends a lot on the variety or cultivar. From the ones I have tasted, this is my rating:

A. squamosa: Maybe my favourite fruit along with mangosteen. Problem are the many seeds..
Chirimoya: Good cultivars are just wonderful...
Atemoya: Inferior to chirimoya, but I would not refuse a good fruit ;)
A. muricata: Very tasty!
A. reticulata: Good, but I think there are better ones that I have not tasted.
R. mucosa/deliciosa: So far, I have eaten a few from different sources. None was something to rave about. I'm still looking forward to taste this deliciosa one.
A. marcgravii: Ok fruit with a hint of citrus, probably very good for beverages.

I also got to taste different not identified species in the Amazon, which were inferior to all other annonas I have tasted.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
My mistake, Rob. I chopped down the Gefner and replaced with the Lisa. I also have a sugar apple, but don't know the variety.
Why did you chop down the Gefner?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
Viva annonaceae!! I love plants and fruits of this familiy. When we talk about species, it depends a lot on the variety or cultivar. From the ones I have tasted, this is my rating:

A. squamosa: Maybe my favourite fruit along with mangosteen. Problem are the many seeds..
Chirimoya: Good cultivars are just wonderful...
Atemoya: Inferior to chirimoya, but I would not refuse a good fruit ;)
A. muricata: Very tasty!
A. reticulata: Good, but I think there are better ones that I have not tasted.
R. mucosa/deliciosa: So far, I have eaten a few from different sources. None was something to rave about. I'm still looking forward to taste this deliciosa one.
A. marcgravii: Ok fruit with a hint of citrus, probably very good for beverages.

I also got to taste different not identified species in the Amazon, which were inferior to all other annonas I have tasted.

Rollinia deliciosa can be really excellent, but to me is in another totally different camp than the other annonas. It doesn't taste like any of them. Whereas the taste of cherimoya, atemoya, sugar apple, custard apple are very similar. Only soursop is also quite different tasting. Haven't tasted ilama or poshte yet. Annonas are great and i think all are high caliber fruits.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
I think aussies need to get some elite US cherimoyas to improve public opinion and make them popular.I think only very poor quality ones have made it here.Between 20 and 30 years ago some of the cherimoya varieties tried here are as follows:

Cherimoya varieties: Bays, Booth, Burton's Wonder, Chaffey, Kaitaia Special, Loma, Pierce, Pink, Reretai, Sabor, White.

They embarrassed themselves and made a mockery of their kind when compared to atemoyas like Pinks' Mammoth at the time.Now it has been forgotten and this place is ready for them again but they have to be good ones to start with.The same could be true in reverse with the US ripe for true mammoths,KJ's,tropic suns and maroochy golds.I would love to see a true no holds barred tussle between the champ atemoyas and cherimoyas.

By the way not all sugar apples are extra seedy. Some have numerous unseeded segments and only small seeds so it amounts to a respectable flesh yield.A 5lb mammoth can at times have only 4 or 5 seeds and so flesh yield in some atemoya is one of their strong points.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »
I think aussies need to get some elite US cherimoyas to improve public opinion and make them popular.I think only very poor quality ones have made it here.Between 20 and 30 years ago some of the cherimoya varieties tried here are as follows:

Cherimoya varieties: Bays, Booth, Burton's Wonder, Chaffey, Kaitaia Special, Loma, Pierce, Pink, Reretai, Sabor, White.

They embarrassed themselves and made a mockery of their kind when compared to atemoyas like Pinks' Mammoth at the time.Now it has been forgotten and this place is ready for them again but they have to be good ones to start with.The same could be true in reverse with the US ripe for true mammoths,KJ's,tropic suns and maroochy golds.I would love to see a true no holds barred tussle between the champ atemoyas and cherimoyas.

By the way not all sugar apples are extra seedy. Some have numerous unseeded segments and only small seeds so it amounts to a respectable flesh yield.A 5lb mammoth can at times have only 4 or 5 seeds and so flesh yield in some atemoya is one of their strong points.

I think Australia has far better selection of atemoyas, and USA has far better selection of cherimoyas. We need to send an ambassador over there to do a diplomatic exchange. BTW, i've had Pink's Mammoth, and while very good still not nearly as good as a top calibur cherimoya! You'll have to take my word for it for now Mike. Possible also that something about climates or soils of place in Australia where cherimoyas were previously trialed was not suitable for them.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk