Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Karp's Sweet Quince, and other Quince for eating raw

<< < (5/7) > >>

SoCal2warm:
Passe Crassane tree

Karp's Sweet (with lychee tree in background)

lavender87:
SoCal2Warm, nice quince trees and fruits. I heard quince is highly susceptible to fire blight if grown in the north America.

I would like to try on quince as well. Do you have seeds or seedlings for sale? Though I know that they might not grow true from seeds. It is hard to find a good taste quince from stores in Georgia, most have bitter taste.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: lavender87 on December 31, 2018, 09:16:44 AM ---I heard quince is highly susceptible to fire blight if grown in the north America.

--- End quote ---
If grown in the Southeast. They tend not to do well with heat combined with humidity.

On the other hand, they'll grow just fine in the central valley of California, and can even be grown all the way up to Maine.

You can grow them where you live but be prepared to spray them a lot for disease.
Some people in the South can be afraid to plant them because they can be disease magnets if you have any pears nearby.

Nicole:
I'm expecting for my Karp's sweet from Raintree nursery this month. Very exited about this variety and hope it will be true to the variety. My friend recommended it as one of the best for eating raw. Few days ago I also received another young tree of "Bereczki" not really well known here, but famous Hungarian variety of quince. Very large fruits with strong aromatic smell. f Not sure if it is good to eat raw, I don't really care as I still like better when it cooked.

here is my Bereczki, and pictures of this variety when mature, isn't it adorable??!!

SoCal2warm:
Keep in mind if they are growing in a low-chill area of California they are likely not to grow as vigorously or take much longer before they begin fruiting.
Both those trees with fruit on them I showed pictures of were growing in Washington.
The quince tree in California is still alive, doing just okay, though slowly growing, has produced flowers but so far no fruit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version