Author Topic: How would one move a tree like this?  (Read 2995 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Shane

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How would one move a tree like this?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Probably not good to do it in one go. Find out if the owner is okay with you digging a half circle trench around the tree, leave it for a few weeks to a couple months uncovered or partially covered so animals don't fall in, then dig up the rest of it later.
Not sure the chances of survival even if you did that.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:24 PM »
That's what I thought. Just going to kill it.
Shane

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
That's what I thought. Just going to kill it.

It also looks to be multi trunked and they are tied together  so i would actually question what would happen if they were not tied.  Can it support itself?

If the tree were actually healthy and can support itself, you might get away with a dig and remove at one time. Its worth an inspection if you are interested.
- Rob

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
Looks like just one of the stems is growing crooked and is tied to the other branches to support or straighten it. No big deal. You would probably cut that one off anyway.
It doesn't look too big to move. You'd need heavy equipment though. Dig wide to find major roots, then you could use water to bare root before trying to retain at least a decent amount of tap root. Obviously when the tree is dormant is when you'll have the best chance. It depends on the equipment you have available though.

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:33:52 PM »
The tree can be moved. I agree that the best time to attempt a move is when the tree is snoozing. Anonas are "deciduous" or at least "semi" during cooler months. You'll wind up leaving most of the tree behind, however you'll get to take home what you need. Prune the branches back hard leaving them bare. If possible leave a few nurse leaves here and there. You can also bring down the height to around 6 feet or so. Water ground well around tree in advance, about two foot in diameter. This will help to keep the soil together when trenching and moving plant. If ground isn't too hard dig a trench around and cut through roots with sharp spade or loppers. A walk behind motorized trenching machine might help cut a clean circle around the tree. Trench down about 18 to 24 inches and then start digging under the tree. After awhile you should be able to rock the tree until it loosens enough to be lifted. Have a large plastic bag ready to wrap around root ball to keep it together. Also have a hole ready where you intend to replant. You'll probably loose a fruiting season, but I believe you'll get the tree. I did this with a six foot sugar apple, removed all the foliage, bare rooted it, and transplanted it to a large pot. Sure enough it sprouted new leaves when the weather warmed up.         

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:58 AM »
Mike

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
A little Tom Sawyer action at work here?  Give me $100 and I will let you dig up my tree.

Mihavo

• Japan, Hyogo, Kobe
    • View Profile
    • MyThread
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
the best solution  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1013435092007105

Wow, what an amazing machine! :o
Looking for these fruits ---> http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13395.msg169502#new

You always hurt the ones you love, also the ones you hate.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »
the best solution  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1013435092007105

Wow, what an amazing machine! :o
If your rich it is the way to go, I think it is a few grand to move a tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk