Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170762 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:30 PM »
it seems like there is nobody who has fruited this tree outside of Mexico?

is that true?

if so, there is an international race at hand!

The very first people to get seeds were Ed , Bryan Brunner and Sadhu . Ed pampered his tree and I think he ended up with a small fruit a few years ago , aborted when he over-fertilized it . Adam , didn't you get this tree when Ed moved away fro FL ?
Bryan kinda neglected them , I believe his interest is more in Heliconias but now that his son David took over this may change .
Sadhu is the best shot , great climate soil etc....he may have had some fruit , haven't heard from him lately.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2015, 11:59:36 PM »
My lucs garcinia survived a hard freeze here west of Orlando. The only protection was a blanket and soil banked around the trunk. White sapote, longans, jabo,lychee, black sapote were protected in a similar manner. Those trees took a hit (and are recovering) but the garcinia was not damaged at all. Just to give you an idea, during this freeze, the sprinklers were turned on the citrus trees and it was cold enough for four inch icicles to form.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2015, 01:26:48 AM »
My lucs garcinia survived a hard freeze here west of Orlando. The only protection was a blanket and soil banked around the trunk. White sapote, longans, jabo,lychee, black sapote were protected in a similar manner. Those trees took a hit (and are recovering) but the garcinia was not damaged at all. Just to give you an idea, during this freeze, the sprinklers were turned on the citrus trees and it was cold enough for four inch icicles to form.

Fantastic, I grow mine exposed at  Hidden Hollow North West of Orlando were they laughed at the freeze too!  These guys could replace citrus as a crop in a few decades. 😃
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2015, 07:09:27 AM »
Hi Val, how old is your garcinia?  ;)

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
Hi Val, how old is your garcinia?  ;)

I don't know for sure but it is still small. 2ft tall and has not grown since it was planted last fall.  It looks healthy so I hope it will make progress soon.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »

Fantastic, I grow mine exposed at  Hidden Hollow North West of Orlando were they laughed at the freeze too!  These guys could replace citrus as a crop in a few decades. 😃

That is excellent! Is hidden hollow close to Clermont?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2015, 08:08:24 PM »
This is it for this season , had to hike 3 hours up in the jungle to check on every tree I know , ran into some MJ growing guys , they helped me , at my age 70 I don't wanna or can climb 10 meter plus trees , some have those nasty stinging ants . Had a great time .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2015, 11:39:40 PM »
This is it for this season , had to hike 3 hours up in the jungle to check on every tree I know , ran into some MJ growing guys , they helped me , at my age 70 I don't wanna or can climb 10 meter plus trees , some have those nasty stinging ants . Had a great time .

Thank You, 70 is the new 55 Luc, I am glad you are healthy to stir up some trouble for the Cartel!😃 Wonder if you roast the seeds will it taste like almond?  Wonder any B-17 in the seeds?  A trained monkey could be of great assistance in 2016; maybe the local petting zoo might rent one out for a day or too!🙈🙉🙊

Gosh three hours hike, perfect tourism itinerary , I think you & Raul sell a bed & breakfast eco fruit tourism  for spring 2016; it should attract a few pot heads too, freshest from the source! 💂
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »

Thank You, 70 is the new 55 Luc, I am glad you are healthy to stir up some trouble for the Cartel!😃 Wonder if you roast the seeds will it taste like almond?  Wonder any B-17 in the seeds?  A trained monkey could be of great assistance in 2016; maybe the local petting zoo might rent one out for a day or too!🙈🙉🙊

Gosh three hours hike, perfect tourism itinerary , I think you & Raul sell a bed & breakfast eco fruit tourism  for spring 2016; it should attract a few pot heads too, freshest from the source! 💂
When they get the munchies lots of fruit to eat ;D
I would definitly go on that holiday ha ha ha
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »

You have a PM!  ;D

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
Anyone knows about nutritional composition or medicinal properties of this garcinia? Thank's!  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
Anyone knows about nutritional composition or medicinal properties of this garcinia? Thank's!  ;D

In order to have that scientists have to analyze it in a labratory. As far as science goes this species doesn't even exist, so how is it going to have a nutritional analysis?
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »

In order to have that scientists have to analyze it in a labratory. As far as science goes this species doesn't even exist, so how is it going to have a nutritional analysis?
Ok, sorry... it was a stupid question...  :-X

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »

Ok, sorry... it was a stupid question...  :-X

It's not impossibe, but somebody would have to pay for the analysis out of pocket. Maybe Luc?  ;) 8)
Oscar

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
I bet some grad student would love to do it for free & get a publication out of it

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »
That magic moment! To the 7th leaf and beyond..

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2015, 01:43:48 PM »
That magic moment! To the 7th leaf and beyond..

How tall is your seedling? Mine just put out new leaves. Leaf growth seems stunted though.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2015, 06:22:56 PM »
I'm not sure, 6-10".

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »

You really do not seems have 70 year old , I thought you had around 50 years old

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
those seeds remind me of Andrew Jackson...

each one could be turned into a $20 bill after it germinates!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
Hello Luc, Do you have some Luc's Garcinia seeds to sell? Or could  you please tell me to whom in India you sold the 300 seeds, so that I can try to get some seedlings. Thanks, Chandramohan.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:10 AM »

You really do not seems have 70 year old , I thought you had around 50 years old
I truly believe passion keeps you young and it seems luc is a good example:)
I hope when I'm that age I can keep my excitement and joy of plants like that!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
Yesterday I went to the zoo to get scions of a beautyfull bright red reticulata I just discover last week when I took my 10 years old boy; the problem is that is inside a little Island set on a pond where is the home of the spider monkeys; to get there I have to cross the pond with hundreds of hungry carp fish,
I wasn't lucky cause the encharged Who authorized me to come back to pick the wood was out of the city; since I was there and I knew a few Lucmoncillo trees on the river, I decided to go and take a look; to my surprise I found this tree with a few small, unripe fruits and still flowering ; unusual cause usually by this time season is over; the problem with this tree is so tall that fruit is unreachable; I was lucky to find a single one perfectly ripe on the ground! It was on its prime; superb lemons sweet gelato/pye flavor/consistency; amazing fruit

PD anybody knows how to upload video? I want to show one of the lucmoncillo environment
El verde es vida!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
the photo of the tree trunk is sobering!  this species can get quite large!!

the texture and color of the fruit looks so delicious....it has a nice rich yellow color...(unlike the cottony white looking pulp of Achachairu, Charichuela, and Bacupari)

thanks so much for sharing!

(for uploading a video, it's probably easiest to upload it onto youtube, and then link it to the forum!!)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
Video on Limoncillo surroundings
https://youtu.be/CUIqnZ5o0Ik
El verde es vida!