Author Topic: Mango Tipping Help  (Read 3629 times)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Mango Tipping Help
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »
OK, so for years I've been watching the Fairchild mango videos on YouTube and all I keep hearing TIP TIP TIP to control tree size, but I've been doing just that for 3 years now and I have one single mango to show for it.  Just one.  So I'm obviously doing something wrong.  I get nice new vegetative growth every year, but no blooms and no fruit.  I'm not fertilizing with nitrogen, and I'm tipping right after the tree across the street (a Hayden, I think) is finished fruiting (late May / early June).  What am I doing wrong??   

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tipping Help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
How old are your trees that you are tipping?  Are you tipping every flush?  There is a method to the madness of tipping...and while developing and shaping the tree through tipping, dont worry about bkooms or fruit.  To be honest, if I am shaping young trees, I dont want them to bloom or fruit.
- Rob

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response!  The trees are 3 years old now and, at least in my crazy mind, should be fruiting.  I'm happy with the basic shape and size (8-10 ft).  I do tip every flush, but only once per year after "harvest season."  Should I be skipping some?   

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response!  The trees are 3 years old now and, at least in my crazy mind, should be fruiting.  I'm happy with the basic shape and size (8-10 ft).  I do tip every flush, but only once per year after "harvest season."  Should I be skipping some?   

There is no harvest season to worry about on young trees.  A 3 year old tree should not be fruiting at all.  I would be tipping almost every flush, depending on the nature of the flush (single shoots vs multi shoots).

If you have a 3 year old tree holding a fruit, pull it off now.  Let the tree establish and maybe after its 4th year slow or stop the tipping and let it try and fruit.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
Great article.  Thank you!

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
Tipped my Maha a few weeks ago and it really woke up. Almost a whole year in the ground without any signs of growth then wham... took off like crazy. After seeing that I tipped everything mango tree in my yard that didn't have a fruit hanging off of it!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
I have found tipping and sometimes pruning to do the trick. several grafts that pushed little and then stayed there with anemic growth after pruning woke up hard. its a great tool we all have and should exercise.

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
I have found tipping and sometimes pruning to do the trick. several grafts that pushed little and then stayed there with anemic growth after pruning woke up hard. its a great tool we all have and should exercise.
Hi behlgarden, in another thread you talked about tipping a mango tree each 10 inches and that this worked great for your tree, do you have pics?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
yes, replying on that thread shortly

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 12:32:51 AM »
You need to stop tipping in September/October; or you won't get any flowers.  No flowers, no mangos.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk