Author Topic: Spondias germination  (Read 3117 times)

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Spondias germination
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:57:58 AM »
I have recently acquired these (what I think are ) Spondias fruit from Congo. The ‘seeds’ are very distinctive.

However when researching on germination it seems that there is a hard corky covering. That needs to be broken. So I cut open two of the ‘seeds’ but did not see any sign of an endocarp. See below:

What is the best way forwards. Has anyone had any experience in germinating Spondias? How big are the seeds? Any help appreciated!

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Spondias germination
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:06 AM »

Here is the fruit in Congo.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
If those seeds are spondias purpúrea, they don't grow from seed.  As far as I know they are grown from cuttings.  This is the same with a miniature June plum I have.
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:12:33 AM »
If those seeds are spondias purpúrea, they don't grow from seed.  As far as I know they are grown from cuttings.  This is the same with a miniature June plum I have.
Peter

Are there varieties that can grow from seed?

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »
Interesting. I have read on the web that it is possible to germinate Spondias mombin and dulcis. But I guess the question is do these fruit have viable seeds.

Not sure what the seeds look like and so not sure what I am looking for.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
S. mombin germinates from seed. June plum as well, but the dwarf June plum doesn’t seem to. Need to know which one.
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
The red/yellow/green one in mexico can it grow from seed?

this fruit: http://www.picsincloud.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:el-jocote&catid=10&Itemid=101

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
You have a lot of seeds. I would experiment and put some in dirt ASAP.
I have the red S. purpurea and I tried to germinate some seeds and none germinated?
I also tried a type from Mexico and I had 0 germination. The seeds looked very different
then the seeds you have now. I would soak a few and plant in dirt and I would let some
dry and put in dirt. I would try as may ways as you can think of and see what happens.
And I would also try to get some cuttings as well.
I got some seeds earlier in the year from a yellow Muntingia calabara and they were smashed
on a piece of cardboard and mailed to me. 28 days later I received an unidentifiable piece of
cardboard that had a dried smear on it? I soaked it and dumped the water in 6 small pots and
1 plant sprouted after 6 weeks? Usually I have them sprout in 1-2 weeks and I had given up.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
My experience with Spondias is that some  germinate easily from seed ( like Umbu - Spondia tuberosa), others   grow  easily from a piece of stalk ((like Caja- Spondia mobin or Siriguela- Spondia purpura)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
Because the seeds look prickly, I am guessing that they are spondias dulcis. Anxious to hear if you get any to germinate, as I would like to grow sponidas dulcis also.  Does anyone have experience growing this variety in a container?

Carolyn

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
Because the seeds look prickly, I am guessing that they are spondias dulcis. Anxious to hear if you get any to germinate, as I would like to grow sponidas dulcis also.  Does anyone have experience growing this variety in a container?

Carolyn
I'm have germinated easily Spondias Dulcis from seed, for container only the Dwarf type will work, Dwarf Ambarella
El verde es vida!

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 11:59:46 PM »
Thank you for all your ideas. I am now soaking some of them and try and see what comes up!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 04:20:42 AM »
makok farang can grow in pot easy and much fruit. Can buy everywhere in Thailand

มะกอก ฝรั่ง

Don't know if from seed, i think not.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 05:29:03 AM »
I got 4 Spondias pinnata growing from seed now.  My favorite type of leaves for eating.  I imagine germinates well in heavy moist shaded mulch 12" thick, much like you would do for a mango.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk