Author Topic: Anyone interested in Malus Sieversii this spring?  (Read 1382 times)

figtreeaz

• USA, AZ, Scottsdale, 9b
    • View Profile
Anyone interested in Malus Sieversii this spring?
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

Not sure if I am going to do this, but this last spring I sprouted and raised about ~50 Malus Sieversii seedlings. For those of you who don't know, M. Sieversii is the wild apple native to Kazakhstan and believed to be the ancestor of modern apples. I grew these because I am interested in using them for breeding disease resistance in cider apples.

This spring I am going to be grafting them to something like g30 or g935 to grow them out in my orchard. I am contemplating making some of these trees available to fruit enthusiasts. I have no idea when the they will fruit, or what the fruit will be like. At the very least it would be cool to have one for genetic diversities sake. Before I commit to giving these to interested people, I just want to see if there is any interest. Would anyone be interested in these trees? Also does anyone have any experience growing them?

I am in AZ, and I originally had about 150 seedlings. Over the intense summer here, about 100 died. But the ones that are alive are doing very well and resisted days at 123F.  Tough little trees!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Malus Sieversii this spring?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
I'm interested!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Malus Sieversii this spring?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
Wow, you got some cool things going on in Scottsdale!  Might have to stop over one day and check them out.