Author Topic: Red Yellow and Green Cacao Pods  (Read 10469 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Red Yellow and Green Cacao Pods
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Red Yellow and Green Cacao Pods
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
are those fruit from your trees?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
are those fruit from your trees?

Yes. I just took that shot a few minutes ago.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »
Awesome pic. Are there any ways to prepare the pulp other than eating it off the seed?

Will your farm be open to visitors during the rare fruit conference in September? Or will you be at the conference as well?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
Awesome pic. Are there any ways to prepare the pulp other than eating it off the seed?

Will your farm be open to visitors during the rare fruit conference in September? Or will you be at the conference as well?

Murahilin, i posted a thread about uses of pulp in cacao not too long ago. It seems that in Brazil they make some products from the pulp.
"Recently, a small industry utilizing fresh pulp has been established in Bahia for a number of tasty products. The pulp can be consumed fresh in the form of juices and "shakes." In small stalls, seeds with pulp are extracted from individual pods and placed, as ordered, in a modified food blender in which a metal disc with holes instead of blades. Milk or water is added, and after a few seconds of blending, the contents are poured through a strainer, producing a frothy, delicious, refreshing beverage. Enough pulp is usually left on the seed for normal fermentation, but pulpless seeds can also be added to intact seed to complete fermentation. Pulp can be preserved by freezing and used for ice-cream, yogurt flavoring, and juice concentrates. Because of the expense of the freezing process, cocoa pulp has not been marketed outside Bahia. It is our belief that this product could have large scale accep-tance, and we recommend market studies in temperate countries."
 http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4153.msg57487#msg57487
If you look at the program for the conference  http://www.crfg.org/2013FoF/images/2013%20program%20020413.pdfyou will see that there is a planned visit to my farm during the conference on October 1, at 1 pm.  Hope to see you then!
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »
Beautiful pic of Cacao pods, thanks for posting.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:56:33 AM »
Great picture Oscar! Is there any really difference in the fruit though?
- David Antonio Garcia

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
Absolutely wonderful photo.  I am trying to figure out just what is shown though.  I see that the green fruits all seem to be attached and the red fruit is being held.  Are the three green fruits different stages of the same tree's fruit, with yellow being that tree's mature color?  Or are there two trees close together that allow us to see green fruit from different trees with one being yellow when mature?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:17:47 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
Absolutely wonderful photo.  I am trying to figure out just what is shown though.  I see that the green fruits all seem to be attached and the red fruit is being held.  Are the three green fruits different stages of the same tree's fruit, with yellow being that tree's mature color?  Or are there two trees close together that allow us to see green fruit from different trees with one being yellow when mature?

Your first guess is right Harry. The tree shown is the one with yellow pods. So those green pods are immature yellow pods.I just brought over a red pod and am holding it there to show difference in colors.
David, the different types are mostly grown to produce different quality cacao, not for the pulp. I will taste the pulp soon side by side and report. Usually there are differences. The yellow podded tree i've had for many years. The red podded tree is young and just started fruiting in the last year or so.
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
I tasted both side by side a while ago. I couldn't tell the difference in taste, only noticeable difference was size.
- David Antonio Garcia

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »
Great pic Oscar , I grow the yellow , mocambo and cupuasu , was just looking for the red one today , found them in the south of Mexico , so the red is bigger than the yellow ?? one day I wanna make my own chocolate...........
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
Great pic Oscar , I grow the yellow , mocambo and cupuasu , was just looking for the red one today , found them in the south of Mexico , so the red is bigger than the yellow ?? one day I wanna make my own chocolate...........

I think there is variation in size within the colors luc. The reds i have seen are smaller and thinner than the yellow, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Oscar.
- David Antonio Garcia

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

I think there is variation in size within the colors luc. The reds i have seen are smaller and thinner than the yellow, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Oscar.

Maybe also in the season , I have fruit now ( winter ) but smaller than those in the 2nd fruiting ( summer )
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »

Yes there is variation in sizes. But a color alone does not describe a type or a cultivar of cacao. So there are big yellow types, as well as small. Same thing for the reds. Keep in mind there are hundred of cultivars of cacao. Of the 2 that i have so far the yellow fruits are bigger. Sometimes the yellows get football sized.  But the tree produces fruits in all different sizes. Here is a photo of the red podded tree:
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
Here is a photo of the red podded tree:

OK, Oscar, fess up. You photoshopped the color of those fruits enhancing it to that very beautiful and vibrant shade of red pictured.  Amazing shot.  I want one of those.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
That red is the same red as in the earlier shot with the yellow. You can see in second shot it is really an orange/red color. No photoshopping. It all has to do with lighting. First shot in the shade, second in sunlight.
Oscar