Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620614 times)

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
    • Radiant Portraiture Photography
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1400 on: October 04, 2017, 11:52:03 PM »
Hello everyone.  I just recently discovered tropical fruits.  I'm really interested in those in the Annona family.  I have several Annonas as well as starfruit, some eugenia species, and others as well.  I'm just looking for like minded folks as I don't have any gardening friends.

PrimeDinner

• Los Angeles County Zone 10B Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 12, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »
Prime Dinner checking in.

Recently I purchased my parents house.  They had grown lots of trees in the backyard and I would like to continue adding to the fruit collection.  I have potted some cherimoya seedlings this past weekend and am looking forward to reading more posts and looking at great pictures.

Dinner Out.
Dinner Out.

SouthOfBorneo

• Banten, Java Island, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
Hello all,

You can call me Albert. I live in Java Island, Indonesia where pretty much the fruits we're discussing here will thrive especially if they like full blown heat and humidity. For those in the middle which likes mild frost, I think not so much.

Currently interested in the Inga and Myrciaria or Plinia genus.

Albert

bhart90

• Flint Michigan 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 21, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
Hi, Im Brenden, 26 from Flint Michigan

Just an avid gardener, and curious to see what kind of fruit trees I can maintain indoors and hopefully bear fruit.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 25, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
Hi everyone I am John Wright and I have lived in Uganda for over 20 years. I have a belated interest in growing some of the more unusual tropical fruit and I hope to get lots of ideas from this forum!

Thanks,

Mvule

DJMadonia96

• Southwest Florida / Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm DJ. I originally got into growing plants to feed my reptiles (two red foot tortoises, and a canary island lizard.) I have a few other ones but they don't eat greens. After a while I just had fun growing things, and poof now I grow exotic fruit in my backyard. I live in sunny south west florida and am fascinated by annona fruits. I'm looking foward to all of the things I can learn from and share with this forum.

JonM

• Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines 14.1°N
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
Hello everybody, you can call me Jon. I am an undergraduate student in University of the Philippines Los Baños, an institution known for agriculture and forestry. I have had interest in growing plants since I was seven although it was mostly ornamental plants. My fascination with tropical fruit was kindled much more recently when I realized that there is such a huge diversity of edible fruits out there, most of which are underutilized due to the stigma placed upon lesser known plants as second class food. My discovery of this forum around a year ago just strengthened my interest in tropical fruits and I have been regularly following this forum since although it is only now that I have created an account. I am looking forward to interact with this community. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:23:02 AM by JonM »

botanical pilot

• Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:34 AM »
Hello,

I live in Portland Oregon in the states, and love growing tropicals indoors and traveling to see local flora. A trip to Europe a few years ago when I was twenty made me fall in love with Mediterranean fruiting plants. After watching Fruit Hunters on Netflix in 2015, I was inspired to go to SE Asia and in 2016 I did my first solo trip to the region. I spent most of my time on the island of Sumatra working on a mango farm and then went to Sarawak to explore. This trip magnified my love of both fruiting trees and tropicals, and so here I am.

I want to learn more and to gab about neat species and how to be a better gardener. Most of my tropicals are in containers due to my temperate climate, but I do my best with indoors COB lighting and T5s during cool months.

I grew up in Montana, and have a bachelors in biotechnology from Montana State University. While earning my degree I was apart of a horticultural organization and worked in a lab growing and researching wheat and rust fungal diseases. I currently work in plant tissue culture lab propagating fruit trees and making media. Volunteer with a local community orchard and teach others gardening techniques in my spare time. I have also worked at a retail grow shop and can give some advice in the area of indoor cultivation.

Can't wait to learn with y'all
pilot

Reddchard

• Maui Hawaii 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 09, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
Aloha and Thanks to all that share their valuable knowledge and experiences. I am Richard with a small farm and plant collection in Maui ..been studying and practising organic ag/ permaculture.biodynamics, korean nature farming....lately selling turmeric,breadfruit,jacks,banana.herbs and veges+ to local markets.looking forward to adding to collection of rare ,delicious and nutritous fruits and sharing with others... got to fiquere how to keep wild pigs out of my white pineapple patches !!Thanks

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 28, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Hello all!
My name is Luiz. I am Brazilian living in San Diego, USA for about 15 years. My hobbies include, Skydiving, Jiu-Jitsu, Snowboard and my lovely garden.
At the moment I am growing:
2 Jabuticabas Sabará
Few Passion Fruits, can't tell the variety, but I'll be posting some pics of it.
Barbados Cherry
Soursop
Papaya
Pink Guava
Cherimoya
Grumichama
Surinam Cherry and Lolita
Luffa
Tommy Atkins Mango
I've been looking for some good yielder Sugar Apple variety, if you know how I could acquire some I appreciate.
Thanks

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:29:22 PM by Th3_BrazilianShark »

Jesssfl27

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: December 05, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
Hello! My name is Jess. I live in Miami (zone 10b). I don’t have many hobbies besides gardening. I’ve only been growing tropical fruit for about two years now. It’s gone quite smoothly. Things I’m growing right now are:
Jaboticaba
Custard apple
Meyer lemon
Wampee
Abiu
Palandas papaya
Naranjilla
Cocona

Im hoping to add more as time goes by although I don’t have much space as it is. Despite the obvious lack of space I continue to buy seeds  ;D it’s nice to meet you all!

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
Hello,

My name is Vincent, I have always enjoy tropical fruit since I was a kid in Vietnam before having to emigrate to US due to Vietnam war. I grew up living in New Hampshire where the growing season was short and no tropical fruit from my childhood can be found. After college I moved to California and eventually moved to SoCal where the climate was closer to Vietnam and able to grow some tropical fruit like guava. I recently having craving for some other fruit and while searching the Internet I came upon this site. Wow such knowledge and information available. So I am currently trying to grow some dragon fruit and have got some seed of sugar apple and trying to grow it in my house.

Aina Exotics

• Hawaii Island (Big Island)
    • View Profile
    • Aina Exotics
Aina Exotics
« Reply #1412 on: December 18, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
Greetings,  we (adam & katie) are a growng exotic fruit farm and nursery on the hamakua coast of the Big Island. Been growing here for 4 years and are collecting as many varieties of tropical fruit rarities as we can. We have planted 100ʻs of fruit trees and also sell seedling and grafted cultivars. We love this forum and all the great information here and look forward to sharing and collabing.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #1413 on: December 20, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »
Hello, I'm kada.  We have been organic farming for 10 years and doing planting for animal enclosures prior to that.

Live in southern Taiwan and farm different fruit, spices and vegetable.  We also run a small nursery for export.

UrbanFruitGrower

• USA, FL, Coral Gables, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 30, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
Greetings and Happy Holidays/New Years to All,

I'm new to the forum but have spent the last few months learning about high density planting, urban fruit tree orchards, and other experimental agricultural techniques for maximizing productivity in finite spaces.  My approach to building my edible landscape in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties is driven by data, evidence, and collective knowledge. At the moment, I have 20+ different types of edible-/fruit trees or shrubs including 19 mangos (and growing!), 8 avocados (and growing!), 10 bananas (you get the idea), carambola, papaya, jaboticaba, mamey, mulberry, raspberry, guava, coffee, cacao, atemoya, etc. etc. etc.  Most of the cultivars I have can be found on my profile.  This has been an exciting experience to share with my 21 month old son, who has been instrumental in assisting me plant them into the ground. 

In any event, I look forward to getting to know and learn from many of you, sharing experiences & perspectives, and bartering knowledge, scions, fruit, and good times!

Warm wishes!
Luis

PrincessTigerLily

• US, San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »
Greetings and Happy New Year!

My name is Lily.  I love reading this forum, a wealth of information. For Christmas I wished for green thumbs  and some Annona plants.

We moved from the IE to San Diego about three years ago. I have about 30 fruit trees around the house. Most of the three were purchased from HD ( the typical plants  guava, figs, lime, plum, etc…), which I am  regretting and planting to dig them all up.   I have  an African Pride Atemoya, soursop, lychee, longan and a wax apple plant  purchased from ong's nursery three years ago. Two cherimoya purchased from Lowes last year.  I also have some Thai lessard and Vietnamese sugar apple seedlings from eBay a year ago  they are growing quite well outdoor. The  only tree that produced well  for me is the AP, it produced about 50 excellent fruits . Last year I Got 10 longan fruits and about five wax apple, 12 cherimoya fruit the size of a golf ball that tasted like ... non from other tropical plants. .  I hope the master gardeners here can help me improve my gardening skill!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:57:48 PM by PrincessTigerLily »

mecburk

• Sealy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 01, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »
Hi!  found this forum because I was looking for info on a Bloomsweet grapefruit tree that I bought today at Brazos Citrus Nursery.  I asked the owner for 10 cold hardy trees not knowing what I would get.  From this forum there was quite a lot to learn about the gentics .  I live in Texas on the Brazos river and have about 50 diferent fruit trees and nuts.   I have a few trees that are frozen and have live root stock to graft back new varietys.  My hardiest citrus is the Texas republic orange.  I bought 4 Kumquat today and calamondin.   I     

ttp0409

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 02, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »
Hi everyone.
My name is Kevin and today is my first day in this forum.  My wife and I love fruit trees.  We currently have persimmon, orange, lemon, sweet lemon, avocado, Asian pear.  We have enough space for 3-4 more fruit trees but still undecided what to get and will it be able to survive the climate where i live.  I'm thinking about getting a jujube, longan, lychee, and something else.  Any advise for us will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Avinsmith

• Viet Nam
    • View Profile
    • Www.facebook.com/avnsmith
Avocado lover
« Reply #1418 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »
Hi, everybody. I'm from Viet Nam. I have study biotechnology but now i just work as  farmer. Cause i love agri so much. And avocado is my favourite. I just wanna  contact and make business with friend all over the world

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 03, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
Hey, my name is Cyrus....

I've become a crazed tropical fruit tree guy in the last few years. I went from having no fruit trees to having several now, a uf gem peach, Joey avacado, lemon, lime, coconut cream and lemon zest mango, ruby supreme guava, blood orange, sugar apple and a lychee. I monitor the trees daily, only feed organically. I am excited to find this forum to learn from other and share any info where I can. I have researched almost every bit of info Google has to offer but know the best information will come from people with experience and a passion from what they do.

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 18, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
Hi all,

I'm mainly a container grower of tropical fruit. I have a long-lived lemon tree, and recently expanded my citrus to include limes and mandarins. I'm also expecting delivery of avocado, mango, and coffee trees next month. I also grow pineapple from store fruit, and have a couple of types on banana plants. This year I am experimenting with zone pushing hardy citrus. I love trying new things and growing my own food. Happy spring!

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 19, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
Hello everybody,
My name is Alena and I got into this addiction just recently. I am Czechoslovakian by origin so forgive my language errors.
I live in San Jose, California so weather is quite suitable for many trop-fruit trees. Ten years ago I planted  suebelle sapote from Home Depot(less than 30$). I love that tree very much. It is making wonderful tasty fruit whole year long. I did not imagine how great decision I did on a whim.
Recently I retired and I started to read more about sapotes, than I found this site and I got hooked. At this moment I have 3 guavas, golden berry, klementine, tiny cherimoya and jaboticaba, curry tree, strawberry tree, carambola, passion fruit, magic berry and goji berry. Of course I have some “regular” trees and bushes - apple, blueberry, gooseberry, red currant and I try to do some vegetable growing also. I want to get some mango and avocado tree also.
I am discovering how wonderful it is to plant, grow and use fruits of your work. Well, better late than never....
I was always city person and never had much connection with gardening before so this is like opening new miraculous world.
Since my garden is pretty much limited in size I am trying to explore some container growing, especially with cold susceptible trees. There can be some cold winter nights in San Jose.

I am grateful for any suggestions what is good to grow in San Jose.
Thanks to the people behind this forum. I appreciate very much to be here.

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 22, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
Hello,I'm Charlie from Arkansas.  What brought me to this forum was research on growing sugarcane.  I have already got a few varieties on the way from Green Planet Farm in Florida and intend to try pot cultivation so to bring it in over Winter.  I read an old thread here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=827.125 on a manual sugarcane juicer and decided to join up.  You all seem like a friendly bunch.

Other than that I normally try to grow things not usually grown locally.  I have many varieties of Fig, thirteen Oriental and hybrid Persimmon varieties, and a few prickly pear cacti. I won't know exactly how many of any survived the Winter until Spring arrives.  I do quite a bit of cold hardiness testing of various things and have a few other trees and berries.

One of my first jobs as a kid was working in a sorghum cane operation during harvest time.  We stripped the canes, cut, bundled and hauled them to the mill, squeezed the juice and the rest was done by the old timers who wouldn't let us touch the syrup process but I learned a lot just watching and have a renewed interest in my older age.  I ordered some sorghum cane seeds to plant this year as well.

Having made that intro, I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried a hydraulic jack press for juicing canes, like they do with a tincture press?  Seems no cane could hold it's juice under tons of crushing force.  I have been planning on building one for awhile now and this has just given me more incentive.  ;D

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 27, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Hello,

I recently encountered this excellent discussion forum while researching Avocado tree cultivation practices.  I live in a suburb of Sacramento in Northern California where I have a small backyard with a somewhat larger north-west facing hillside.  I hope to cultivate a vineyard on terraces that I've been slowly building up through the years, but this is a long term project.  In the meantime, to keep my interests sated, I've planted various fruit trees, starting with Citrus, then stone, then olives, and now more avocados.

I currently have three potted avocado trees (~3-4 years of age), Mexicola, Fuerte, and Bacon.  These have yet to set and hold fruit, though they seem to be surviving their time.  I worry for their long term survival and health.  I recently purchased six more 5-gal avocado trees (2x Holiday, 2x Lamb-Hass, Sir Prize, and Pinkerton).  I'm need to work-out how best to situate these new arrivals, and I plan to create another post with questions therein related.

Other than fruit trees, I've been an vegetable gardener for many years with an emphasis on tomatoes (100+ plants in various raised beds).  I fight fusarium/veritcillium soil fungi problems, and so I've spent a good deal of effort with grafting heirlooms onto resistant rootstock.  I have yet to graft a fruit-tree scion, and that's an area of learning I'd really like to dive into.

I dream of building a greenhouse and growing exotic mangoes and other such tropicals, but I think that will be a project for a future home.  Since I'm not ready to set my roots where we're currently living, I've taken great lengths to use pots and containers on many of my trees (though not all).  I don't like the idea that this will shorten the lifespan of the trees and result in an untenable situation ultimately, so I've been researching RootBuilder/AirPot solutions, root air pruning methods, MicroKote, etc.

Before I start diving into details that are better reserved for a separate post, I'll end the introduction.  Are there any others in the Sacramento Valley area on this forum/site?  If so, I hope to meet you.
-naysen

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:36 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm from the West coast of New Zealand and am planning a decent sized agroforestry block. The tricky part is that our climate there is kind of halfway between temperate and subtropical. It's too wet and doesn't quite get cold enough to be temperate, but it's also not warm enough and I've heard there are occasional frosts so it's not really subtropical either! I won't be able to plant anything for a while, but I'm really keen to learn about what's available, and all the cool plants from overseas. I'm right now interested in plants like Inga, and want to get into breeding plants later.

I'm especially keen to hear form anyone with a similar climate (approximately 2 meters of rain annually, spread evenly, and temperatures mostly between 8 and 22 degrees) - e.g. I think central coastal Chile is similar.