Author Topic: Do Carrie haters for the most part dislike Val carrie to?🤔  (Read 2098 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time. I do not hate Carrie if you handed me one I would take it but I would never ask you for one! I have never tried Val-Carrie
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:16:23 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Do Carrie haters for the most part dislike Val carrie to?🤔
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:07:16 AM »
I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time. I do not hate Carrie if you handed me one I would take it but I would never ask you for one! I have never tried Val-Carrie

I think I have the same opinion on Carrie as you. I wouldn't say no to the fruit but I couldn't keep up with a tree.

As for Val Carrie, I would probably plant a tree.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »
I love both but I like ValCarrie better...i think it to me its more complex.
Val Carrie, if i remember is also a bigger fruit kinda wierd shaped. I do not know of the production ...probably produces less than the Carrie in that when i go to Florida to buy mango i do not see a lot of Val Carrie available..maybe its later and i miss the height of its season.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 04:09:59 PM »
To all Carrie dislikers. If you open one up 2 days before you think it’s perfectly ripe you will find that the fruit tastes OK.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 06:41:41 PM »
I like Carrie from my tree at all stages of ripeness. But slightly under ripe is more acid and less sweet. (Complex)  Just a bit less sweet. So I like this the best

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
I like Carrie from my tree at all stages of ripeness. But slightly under ripe is more acid and less sweet. (Complex)  Just a bit less sweet. So I like this the best
The one i tried was a little soft for my liking. I read about a medical after taste and i did taste that. It was not offensive or appealing but i will give it another try slightly under ripe. I do like mango with sub acid after taste :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
The one i tried was a little soft for my liking. I read about a medical after taste and i did taste that. It was not offensive or appealing but i will give it another try slightly under ripe. I do like mango with sub acid after taste :)

Yeah do try Carrie at green but a slight bit of give to it as in ever so slightly soft. Not even any yellow showing on the skin

My original instinct was at least see some yellow to pick Carrie.  A tiny smile of yellow then see if Carrie has any give.  You say medical taste but what you mean is medicinal taste. Too piney for some.  Carrie has a very good reputation in Broward. People from India know about it. A neighbor just planted a Carrie and a Hawaiian dwarf. Bought them at Delray mango farm.
Truly Tropical
themangoplace.com
2750 Seacrest Blvd, Delray Beach, FL 33444
_________

Dwarf Hawaiian/Tete Nene | Tropical Acres Farms
https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com › product-page › dwarf-hawaiian-tete-nene
This mango is now commonly known as ‘Dwarf Hawaiian’ despite actually being from Puerto Rico, where it was given the name ‘Tete Nene’. It was likely a Julie seedling, and its growth habit and foliage resemble that of Julie, as does the flavor. Dwarf Hawaiians are compact, dwarfish trees that require hardly any pruning when young.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 07:35:36 PM »
Funny thread to me, I put a Carrie in the ground because I seen so many great reviews lol
This year will be my first taste. We shall see, hope you all are wrong 😂
Here’s the tree.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55:26 PM »
I really like my Carrie. They stay green till just about ripe then a hint of a yellow blush and I give one a tug with the fruit picker. If I wait any longer, either the blue jays or squirrels get them. My tree has its last dozen or so on it, I (and my friends) will miss it.

Regards,

Gary

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
I also like Carrie, they sell well too. Always very productive and clean. So much I planted 10 more trees

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
I never heard of the term Carrie hater until reading this forum. What I was trying to find out is the taste they dislike about Carrie  also prominent in Val-carrie?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:40:08 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 11:05:46 PM »
To all Carrie dislikers. If you open one up 2 days before you think it’s perfectly ripe you will find that the fruit tastes OK.

There is no way to me I will ever say a Carrie eaten out of hand tastes ok, good or anything positive  (I have tried more and at different stages than you could ever imagine).

It is an acceptable mango to make ice cream.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 11:07:07 PM »
While I despise a Carrie eaten out of hand, a Val Carrie at the right stage can be good.  Top tier, no...
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 07:42:55 AM »
Despise? Tell us how you really feel Rob! :-)

I had an east Indian which I grafted onto it the Carrie. The EI had that piney flavor I loved  butt the Carrie took over and killed the EI. :-(

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »

I had an east Indian which I grafted onto it the Carrie. The EI had that piney flavor I loved  butt the Carrie took over and killed the EI. :-(

Ok, maybe despise is a bit harsh but its in a group that I obviously would not grow for consumption and if gifted to me, it would be regifted.
- Rob

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »

Ok, maybe despise is a bit harsh but its in a group that I obviously would not grow for consumption and if gifted to me, it would be regifted.

Rob, I’d like to get my name added to your regift list ... just in case.  ;)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Carrie=CARROT
when the fruit was named it was supposed to be given the name “carrot”(that’s a joke) I personally despise the super strong carrot Flavored flesh and piney skin flavor that a few other mangos possess. I have a lot of respect for Har from the forum and it’s one of his favorites, it’s my father’s favorite as well. My dad has a nice “Carrie” tree and he enjoys them very much every year but me and my wife both  say “KEEP CARROT OUT OF MANGOES”  that’s The beauty of mango tasting, we all Have our Opinions. “val Carrie” is more tolerable for me but we still don’t like it. To give you an idea of our preferred flavors: So far this year our favorites are,

Sugarloaf/E4
Karen Michelle
Baileys Marvel

In that order.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 02:31:55 PM by Honest Abe »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »
Carrie=CARROT
when the fruit was named it was supposed to be given the name “carrot”(that’s a joke) I personally despise the super strong carrot Flavored flesh and piney skin flavor that a few other mangos possess. I have a lot of respect for Har from the forum and it’s one of his favorites, it’s my father’s favorite as well. My dad has a nice “Carrie” tree and he enjoys them very much every year but me and my wife both  say “KEEP CARROT OUT OF MANGOES”  that’s The beauty of mango tasting, we all Have our Opinions. “val Carrie” is more tolerable for me but we still don’t like it. To give you an idea of our preferred flavors: So far this year our favorites are,

Sugarloaf/E4
Sara Michelle
Baileys Marvel

In that order.

I believe you mean Karen Michelle.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
Edited. Thanks Rob for the correction, my mind is as sharp as a bowling ball.