Author Topic: Mango/Avocado Gelato  (Read 2458 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Mango/Avocado Gelato
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
I almost got crazy trying to figure if i should have used the word gelato, ice cream, sorber, sherbet, or whatever for this recipe. I ended using gelato, since it is how i call it at my home, even if probably sherbet is the right word.
Anyhow, i tried this recipe and it was good also with tommies tommies of the grocery store, so i guess that for those of you having accesso to better mangos, it can be pretty good. Also, gelato can stored in freezer for several months, so it can help those mango maniacs wich don't want to eat mangos from grocery stores during winter.
Ingredients are putted togheter very simply, but if you want to make it you need an ice cream machine. I own one, and it's woth the money. Gelato is appreciated pretty much by everyone, and making it yourself saves a lot of money. That's the exact model i own

Anyhow, you need:

Ripe Mango: 350gr
Milk: 250gr
White sugar: 150gr
2 teaspoon of lemon/lime juice.

Pur everything in blender and mix until very smooth. Then put it in the ice cream machine. Let it go as much as it needs. Once the mixtue becomes tick, you are done.

You can basically do it with any sweet fruit with same proprtions, i have done it with apricots and it was very good too.

You can also do it with avocados. But since avocados aren't sweet, you should put a bit more sugar in it. I made it with some ripe avocados, and i used the same amounts of the previous recipe; just a little more sugar, 200gr. Since avocados are so fat, the result is incredibly creamy.

If you want a little thrill, add to your mango icecream, just before eating it (expecially if it very cold, otherwise you will melt it too much) a little of gewurztraminer wine. ;)
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango/Avocado Gelato
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »
Great idea! I'll have to try both recipes. We recently made jackfruit icecream but it turned out more like vanilla ice cream with jack fruit bits...still very tasty but we forgot the blender step. Will implement it next time round.

-Luke

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Mango/Avocado Gelato
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:11:21 AM »
Oh, i can assure you that with those recipes you feel the flavour of the fruits. Expecially the avocado is surprising; the sugar exalts the nutty notes in it.
Let me know if you liked it!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.